Diet coke

Options

Replies

• vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    To me coke zero tastes a lot better than diet coke! I only have like 1 can a week though cause I get sick if I have to much artifical sugar and to much of the fizz in any soda hurts my stomach. I really don't think that substitute sugars will hurt if you. My son has a type of muscular dystrophy and the doctor would rather have him drink crystal light then kool aid with regular sugar because a tablespoon of sugar is like 70 calories. I have to give him a pretty healthy diet because if he gains any extra weight it will be harder for him to walk. If there was more proof ect on artifical sugars being harmful and causing cancer I'm pretty sure his doctors would never recommend crystal light.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Dude. Diet soda causes cancer.

your body being a b**** and not killing a bad cell (likely group of cells at that point) is what causes cancer...

Your cells are supposed to self terminate before things get out of hand...

This is not true, cancer didn't exist until chemicals were invented

Firstly, 'chemicals' have always existed. Everything is a chemical. You are made up of chemicals.

Secondly, the upsurge in cancer rates throughout the 20th century can be put down to the upsurge in life expectancies - quite simply, people didn't live long enough to *get* cancer before.

Not to mention the advances that allow more types of cancer to be diagnosed. An ongoing question: are more people really getting [insert illness], or are we just able to diagnose more?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

your body being a b**** and not killing a bad cell (likely group of cells at that point) is what causes cancer...

Yaaah. no.

They just didn't have the means to diagnose what it is. There are a lot of diseases out there that have been around for centuries. The advancement in medicines makes it easier to diagnose.

I think that's silly. "I'm growing a second arm bud where I had that bad sunburn." It's nothing. We don't have a diagnosis for that.

I hope this isn't a serious post.
    Life expectancy was shorter in the past. Why did people die? A lot of times they didn't really know why. No MRIs or blood tests to do complicated diagnoses.

OK. Putting the jokes aside for a second here.

In part you are correct, but there is a heckuva lot more to it than that. There was no epidemiology or public health. The major factors were falling on the lack of treatments, and lack of understanding of what was actually happening side of things not so much on the diagnosing. There were no antibiotics, no public sanitation, horses shat on the streeets, sewers ran down the middle of the streets, no clue how to stop disease vectors as there were no thorough studies of what disease vectors there were. People didn't even know what germs were, let alone how to stop them. Epidemiology has done a lot of great things to advance life expectancy in people over the last couple of centuries. Cancer has been around all along, however, most people didn't live long enough for it to have any significant impact as something else "got them" before the cancer could. It wasn't until epidemiology, and medicine began to eliminate the acute illnesses that killed us off at such a young age, that chronic illnesses began to spike and kill us off.

Back to troll mode.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Firstly, 'chemicals' have always existed. Everything is a chemical. You are made up of chemicals.

Secondly, the upsurge in cancer rates throughout the 20th century can be put down to the upsurge in life expectancies - quite simply, people didn't live long enough to *get* cancer before.

Yeah. What she said!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is the OP a serious question? Most diet sodas are relatively calorie free. How does someone get to be an adult in today's world without knowing that?
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No.

Coke Zero is the answer to life's problems.

YES! ^^^
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    OK. Putting the jokes aside for a second here.

In part you are correct, but there is a heckuva lot more to it than that. There was no epidemiology or public health. The major factors were falling on the lack of treatments, and lack of understanding of what was actually happening side of things not so much on the diagnosing. There were no antibiotics, no public sanitation, horses shat on the streeets, sewers ran down the middle of the streets, no clue how to stop disease vectors as there were no thorough studies of what disease vectors there were. People didn't even know what germs were, let alone how to stop them. Epidemiology has done a lot of great things to advance life expectancy in people over the last couple of centuries. Cancer has been around all along, however, most people didn't live long enough for it to have any significant impact as something else "got them" before the cancer could. It wasn't until epidemiology, and medicine began to eliminate the acute illnesses that killed us off at such a young age, that chronic illnesses began to spike and kill us off.

Back to troll mode.

You're awesome. I'm an epi geek . :flowerforyou:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    was just listening to Science Friday and they were discussing the negative effects of diet soda. in the studies mentioned just 1 can a day had negative effects.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ah, good. The hourly "will diet coke kill my family?" post.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of artificial sweeteners.
  • gwenette
    gwenette Posts: 39
    Options
    I like diet pepsi...diet coke...coke zero...BUT.... MIO water enhancer ROCKS!!!!! And with so many flavors to choose from you never get bored!!! Lemonade is my fav. :drinker:

i love this!!!! berry pomegranate is my fav...i can't just sip on unflavored water all day.. I usually do one diet coke a day and water.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Try Zevia soda? You can get it from any health food store and some major chains.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    was just listening to Science Friday and they were discussing the negative effects of diet soda. in the studies mentioned just 1 can a day had negative effects.

<---- loves Science Friday. Loves Diet Coke. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :wink: I'm guessing they were discussing the correlation between diet coke consumption and obesity (correlation doesn't equal causation btw) but now I'm curious so I'll have to try to find something online...
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options

I

That's not true. I invented chemicals in 1973 and i know there was at least 2 cases of cancer prior to that year.
    I thought Al Gore invented chemicals in the '90s?
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drink hot black/green tea throughout the day with a splash of vanilla soy milk.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

That is some solid B.S. hahaha They've found prostate cancers in Ancient Egyptian mummies.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

False. Neanderthals got cancer too
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130605-neandertal-neanderthal-bone-tumor-penn-croatia-science/

^ Effin Science! woooo!!
  • tbeowulf
    tbeowulf Posts: 1
    Options
    For those who said use flavored water packets intead of Soda. Check the ingrediants for those. Many of them have aspartame.
  • msweetamy
    msweetamy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    try tea. There are flavored fruit tea, or you can mix your own fruit juice into the tea. And Crystal Light makes a Peach Mango Green Tea that has caffeine to "boost metabolism" that is to die for! I like the occasional diet coke, but I've found these teas can usually curb by soda cravings.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Cherry Coke Zero

This ^^^^^ FTW!!!!!