Diet coke

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Story of this site! I know we are all cranky because we are hungry, but geez, some people are just downright rude.

I am not cranky or hungry.

Oh... And welcome to a public internet forum.

Welcome to real life..
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Looked up more on the psychologist (?) on the Science Friday bit...

She made rats fatter by feeding them sucralose instead of glucose. That's interesting, but rats are notoriously bad at tracking their calorie intake on MFP...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/artificial-sweeteners/
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Please. Your original post said "Science Friday" which I wasn't aware was a podcast. Even if I had known it was a podcast, which episode of the possibly hundreds of Science Friday episodes would have this tidbit.

You may as well have said "I read a story in the New York Times that said soda is bad!" and then told me how to work a newspaper box... "You put coins in and then open the door! LOL! Dummy!"

there is a thing called Google....

if i come across something i dont know it takes 2 seconds to goolge. you dont even have to type it in! just highlight and right click!
  • Mambokid
    Mambokid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter who is serious performance athlete goes through a ton of lemons and limes in the course of a week; she adds them to her water bottle. I started that practice about a month ago and it's working great!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have to be a special snowflake if drinking diet soda for 25+ years hasn't shown an inkling of destruction to my body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I have to be a special snowflake if drinking diet soda for 25+ years hasn't shown an inkling of destruction to my body.

i know someone who smoked until they were 90 and had no problems from it...therefore smoking isnt bad for you!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Maybe you should add that to your signature. LOL!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Please. Your original post said "Science Friday" which I wasn't aware was a podcast. Even if I had known it was a podcast, which episode of the possibly hundreds of Science Friday episodes would have this tidbit.

You may as well have said "I read a story in the New York Times that said soda is bad!" and then told me how to work a newspaper box... "You put coins in and then open the door! LOL! Dummy!"

there is a thing called Google....

if i come across something i dont know it takes 2 seconds to goolge. you dont even have to type it in! just highlight and right click!

But the burden of proof is on you in this case, yes?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Looked up more on the psychologist (?) on the Science Friday bit...

She made rats fatter by feeding them sucralose instead of glucose. That's interesting, but rats are notoriously bad at tracking their calorie intake on MFP...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/artificial-sweeteners/

That's interesting. It evens says that fatter rats consumed more calories
    Those that ate saccharin packed on more fat, gained more weight and consumed extra calories.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    But the burden of proof is on you in this case, yes?

not my job to prove anything...i saw this thread...remember this past weekends SciFri ep and thought id mention it so that people can listen if they want.

i just find it strange that people argue so strongly that artificial sweeteners are 100% safe.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I think like anything else, moderation is key. I believe a soda can full of chemicals is not what the human body craves, but the mind wants it so if it keeps you on track, use it. Studies suggest people stuck on diet soda tend to be unsuccessful long term at maintaining a good weight (or have to work harder) as they are never weaned from sweeteners. I like to add soda water to a tablespoon or two of pure pomegranate juice or cherry juice and fine myself somewhat appeased.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Studies suggest people stuck on diet soda tend to be unsuccessful long term at maintaining a good weight (or have to work harder) as they are never weaned from sweeteners.

What studies are you referencing?
  • Aprilhoogland
    Options
    The artificial sugars in Diet Coke make me hungry. I know water gets old but add lemon slices to it or my favorite cucumber slices. It may sound weird but it is so good!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Studies suggest people stuck on diet soda tend to be unsuccessful long term at maintaining a good weight (or have to work harder) as they are never weaned from sweeteners.

What studies are you referencing?

The make believe ones.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of diet coke. I'm also a fan of my teeth, so I rarely drink it.
    It makes me retain water like a mofo, too.

But still...I love it.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The only thing I was warned about with Diet Coke (along with most sodas in general) is that it can slowly deteriorate your teeth. My dentist just recommended that if I do want to drink soda, to drink with a straw because then there's less of a chance that it comes in contact with your teeth. Although, I quit drinking soda a few months ago, and I feel much better without it personally.
  • doonelm
    doonelm Posts: 4
    Options
    As a CT tech, I see a lot of kidney stones caused by Diet Pepsi, and diet Coke. Be careful.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As a CT tech, I see a lot of kidney stones caused by Diet Pepsi, and diet Coke. Be careful.
    :huh: Does the Radiologist write in the chart and tell the patient that is the cause?
    Correlation =/= causation.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

:huh: what the ??
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    this is too much trolling and bro science for me, coffee and water it is!

Story of this site! I know we are all cranky because we are hungry, but geez, some people are just downright rude.

<---

not hungry...

(...but am usually at least a little cranky...)