Going low carb! Who is with me?

Options
124»

Replies

• SixFourTwo
    SixFourTwo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Read "6 weeks to OMG!" .... kicked my *kitten* into action!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You gain weight by eating at a surplus . Low Carb has nothing to do with it . Lack of discipline does.

That is wrong too. Obesity didn't suddenly take off in the last few decades because suddenly we have no self control over how much we eat. It's because we are eating the wrong things. Sure, you can control your weight by eating small portions of junk food, but this will leave you hungry and still exposed to heart disease, high cholesterol and other diet-related maladies. On the other hand, fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes are low in calorie density and high in nutrients. I believe that food volume has a lot to do with satiety, so eating foods that are low in calorie density will result in consuming fewer calories overall and eliminate the need to be disciplined about eating small junk food portions.

I am not in the slightest a disciplined eater. I love to eat large quantities of delicious food. There's noting wrong or unusual with that. I eat healthfully given that reality by making sure that I am eating the right kinds of things. I could eat 500 calories of potatoes or 500 calories of butter. One is going to make me full and satisfied, the other is going to make me sick and hungry.

LMAO
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No, thank you.

Find me someone who went low-carb and kept the weight off. Yeah, not so much. It's an easy way to lose water weight fast and a lot of muscle mass.

I did SB for a few months, lost a lot of weight, and guess what happened when I stopped eating low-carb. Huh. Go figure.

Eat at a deficit, lift weights to retain muscle mass, and keep weight off. Almost all the successful people 'round MFP will tell you the same thing.

She didn't ask for advice. If you don't believe in low Carb well hooo ray for you. Don't rain on someone else's parade because low Carb didn't work for you.

I assumed she wanted advice on how to lose weight and keep it off. Not on how to low-carb. MY BAD.

And I took the "who's with me" to imply that she wants others to low-carb with her, not just their advice.

You say raining on someone's parade. I say educating someone so they don't lose water weight and muscle and then gain back more fat than they had to begin with. And I'd say it doesn't work for many people or the countless number of people I've known who've gone low-carb would be a bit lighter by now, wouldn't you say?

You gain weight by eating at a surplus . Low Carb has nothing to do with it . Lack of discipline does.

This. I did low carb for a few months and then raised my carbs to around 80-100, refeeding with 250 carbs on some days. Guess what? The weight stayed off. It's not the low carb lifestyle, it's the lifestyle you resumed after.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Paleo style for the last week and have lost 4 pounds. I had a cheat day yesterday and still manage to loose, I think I will be low carbing it for a while!
  • marciblu1
    marciblu1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in. Trying to break a plateau, and Low Carb plan helped me to lose over 130lbs, that I've kept off for about 8 years, but in Feb of this year I re-committed to getting the last 60 or so off...I'm eating healthy and working out/training on the regular but stuck now for about 3 wks....so back to what I know works.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do best on a low carb diet. Count me in! I may not do as well til I get to go grocery shopping this Thursday, tho. I have to eat what I have here until Payday :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for 2 months, under 75 grams a day. It really messed with my metabolism. i gained everything I lost plus more when i started eating carbs again.

Also, please do not go low carb if you have any kind of hormone or thyroid imbalances. It can really jack with your body so be careful.

You gained weight because you went on a massive carb binge. All them cupcakes add up you know.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

That is wrong too. Obesity didn't suddenly take off in the last few decades because suddenly we have no self control over how much we eat. It's because we are eating the wrong things. Sure, you can control your weight by eating small portions of junk food, but this will leave you hungry and still exposed to heart disease, high cholesterol and other diet-related maladies. On the other hand, fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes are low in calorie density and high in nutrients. I believe that food volume has a lot to do with satiety, so eating foods that are low in calorie density will result in consuming fewer calories overall and eliminate the need to be disciplined about eating small junk food portions.

I am not in the slightest a disciplined eater. I love to eat large quantities of delicious food. There's noting wrong or unusual with that. I eat healthfully given that reality by making sure that I am eating the right kinds of things. I could eat 500 calories of potatoes or 500 calories of butter. One is going to make me full and satisfied, the other is going to make me sick and hungry.

This is ludicrous
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You forgot all the water weight that instantly goes back on. And the decrease in metabolism as you decimate your lean mass. Yeah, it's not all "lack of discipline". Not all weight loss is equal. Crash diets are crash diets. Low-carbing is crash dieting.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

This is ludicrous

The connection between satiety and food mass is ludicrous? Really? I think you need to learn basic physiology.

There are receptors that determine how full our stomach is and then send signals back to the brain that tell us we are full.

It plays a role in our overall satiety along with a variety of other hormones.

Although really you don't need to get all scientific with it. Most small children know that the amount of food they eat determines if they become full.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm in also. Hopefully this will be my motivation....6 years ago I quit smoking and went up to almost 188 pounds. I started doing a low carb diet about a year later and I went down to 140...I am 5'6 have maintained 138-145 since then eating under 50 grams of carbs a day. I have recently started crossfit twice a week and with getting older and a job where im sitting all day, so I have decreased my calories from 1800 to 1200 and eating exercise back...would like to lose about 8 or so pounds and firm up:)
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is ludicrous

The connection between satiety and food mass is ludicrous? Really? I think you need to learn basic physiology.

There are receptors that determine how full our stomach is and then send signals back to the brain that tell us we are full.

It plays a role in our overall satiety along with a variety of other hormones.

Although really you don't need to get all scientific with it. Most small children know that the amount of food they eat determines if they become full.

Well said.

What is "ludicrous" to me is the notion that we are overweight and obese today because we eat carbs, which have been the foundation of human diets for thousands of years. This has changed only recently in the West. (With a contingent rise in obesity) We even have modern samples of societies that eat diets that are rich in carbohydrates (again, such as those eating non-Westernized Asian diets) and obesity is low in these nations.

I personally have increased my carbohydrate intake and my weight has decreased dramatically. (Note that I am not citing the carbohydrate intake as the cause of the results, but rather eating a diet that consists of plant-based foods) I've lost over 15 pounds per month. It seems very difficult to have much better results than I have had and still be living a healthy lifestyle.

Atkins, paleo, low carb, whatever you call it, it is a dangerous fad and it doesn't work long term. See the article I posted earlier.
  • BobzStuff
    BobzStuff Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I've been doing low carb for awhile but I actually stopped weighing myself because my low carb journey is not about the weight loss. It's about learning to stop binge eating, which my biggest trigger and cravings come from carbs. I am working on the emotional part so this can be a long term healing of my body AND mind.

More out than in is the key to weight loss no matter how you do it. I personally feel much more alert, less sick and tired and have way less cravings on lower carbs/low gluten higher fat diet. My hunger and cravings have virtually disappeared. I plan my meals and eat how I want. I even drink a ton more water now. This works for me. I don't even journal my foods. I know based on my keto strips, bi weekly measuring and how I feel that I'm doing something right.

I don't plan on gaining whatever weight I'm losing back because I plan on educating myself and slowly turning my body back on carbs though I will probably always maintain a slightly lower carb diet because of how it makes me feel.

So the point is low carb is a pain at first because your body is changing but once you're in it's great at curbing cravings which helps keeps a lot of people motivated, but be forwarded when you get back on carbs your brain might be in carb freak out and binge mode. Be careful about that, plan for that. Good luck!
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    Wow! didn't think I would get so many responses haha. Thank you all for your advice. After using a calculator to figure out my macros (one that is used by professionals), I have decided to keep my cals around 1430 and total carbs at 160. I know I do need some carbs to function, so I have decided to just eat complex carbs like sweet potatoes, fruit, vegetables, etc. I think I may have a gluten sensitivity, so I think this will be good for me. I have cut back on gluten and can already tell a difference. I am starting gluten free for 4 weeks tomorrow! So, no, I've decided not to go low carb, but I will be sticking to a gluten free diet, eating healthy, complex carbs :)
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm doing low carb but not very low carb. I tried very low carb for a short while and it just didn't work for me. I'm doing some tweaking to my diet right now and I'm doing 33% carbs, 22% protein and 45% fat. That works out to 111 grams of carbs, 68 grams of fat and 74 grams of protein. Of course, MFP won't let me put in increments like 33 and 22 so I'm kind of halfway tracking that myself. I figure at 35, 20 and 45 I'm probably close enough. The protein seems to be the hardest for me to hit even though it's pretty low already. And I keep going over on the fat. :/
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Low carb works only if you choose it as your lifestyle. If you read Atkins books or Dana Carpender's books (How I gave my my low-fat diet and lost 40 pounds, and other books), if you read a great book called "Good calories, bad calories" by Gary Taubes who goes into the history of human food consumption (science, research and politics behind all the USDA recommendations) and how carbohydrates affected increase of diabetes, obesity and other human diseases, you will be more educated on this subject.
    If you don't want to read Atkins, just read Gary Taubes. He also has a book "Whe we get fat". I highly recommend it.

And no, humans did not eat grains and sugar for the majority of their existence. They ate meat, fat and normal amount of veggies.
  • Darlekins
    Darlekins Posts: 44
    Options

Also, please do not go low carb if you have any kind of hormone or thyroid imbalances. It can really jack with your body so be careful.

This is completely false. A LCHF diet is highly recommended for imbalances of the endocrine system. Hypothyroidism, diabetes, PCOS, etc all dictate a low-carb lifestyle.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Low carb works only if you choose it as your lifestyle. If you read Atkins books or Dana Carpender's books (How I gave my my low-fat diet and lost 40 pounds, and other books), if you read a great book called "Good calories, bad calories" by Gary Taubes who goes into the history of human food consumption (science, research and politics behind all the USDA recommendations) and how carbohydrates affected increase of diabetes, obesity and other human diseases, you will be more educated on this subject.
    If you don't want to read Atkins, just read Gary Taubes. He also has a book "Whe we get fat". I highly recommend it.

And no, humans did not eat grains and sugar for the majority of their existence. They ate meat, fat and normal amount of veggies.

Good calories, Bad calories is more fiction than fact save the lipid hypothesis part

Hmmmm so when did humans start eating grains and saccharides?