Should you correct those with bad form in the gym?

Options
wffolkes
wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
So i'm going to a new gym and spotted couple of younger guys who have terrible form when using a couple of the free weights.

I minded my own business and continued with my own workout.

The question is should you correct someone when you see them using the wrong technique?

I mean I'm no expert but before I do any new exercise I always make sure i've got the correct form.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you think their form is so messed up that by doing it they are two steps away from injury then you could I suppose. As for simply bad worm what will not cause them a harm, like some swinging by doing bicep curls for example, I wouldn't.

Some guys just prefers to do wrong form and don't give a crap. You can still get great body by that. Good form always is not a must, if you know the difference between maybe no so effective form vs one that may cause you injury. Sometimes you just have to let those guys ego to feel good. :D
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Unless their my friends or if someone asks me to check them then no. they'll learn the next day when body aches lol...
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I say it's all in how you approach them. If you say "do you mind if I give you some pointers to avoid an injury?" Something along that line so they can easily say "no thanks" . At least you've tried. I work out at our Company gym and its very small. The guys are good at pointing things out. I appreciate them.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'll vote for correcting them. They can take your recommendation (or not) and you have the clean conscience that you tried to help.

My point of view comes from the fact that I started doing squats only last year (I'm almost 42). I watched video on youTube and read the description on bodybuilding.com, but that still didn't translate to great form in the rack. I was using incorrect form for about a month when finally someone came over and gave me some great tips. It helped dramatically - was actually able to lift more.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    if i was to do that i would never get any training done. there are so many people with bad form who think they are doing brilliant. and you know that some people just cant be told or wont listen.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    I work in a high school and use the weight room there. I often see the kids using what I consider to be incorrect form, but since I am not their coach, I typically mind my own business unless I think they are going to get hurt. Occasionally one of them will ask me a question and I'm happy to help, but my situation is different since I an an adult lifting with mostly teenagers. In your case, I would say that unless they are making an egregious error, let them learn on their own. Better yet, stick to your own routine and use proper form so maybe they will be inspired as you progress and they do not!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I appreciate feedback as long as its not in a way that makes the rest of the room look at me. And don't yell at me if I do something else or not up to your standards.

That was my HORRIBLE experience with a guy in the weight room at a college gym in front of a bunch of guys. The guy, who was older, had the audacity to yell at me about my form. He also would stop me from working out and start barking out orders.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'll vote for correcting them. They can take your recommendation (or not) and you have the clean conscience that you tried to help.

My point of view comes from the fact that I started doing squats only last year (I'm almost 42). I watched video on youTube and read the description on bodybuilding.com, but that still didn't translate to great form in the rack. I was using incorrect form for about a month when finally someone came over and gave me some great tips. It helped dramatically - was actually able to lift more.

I agree. I would appreciate feedback on form and I think depending on how it is offered so would a lot of others.
  • Rosamia41
    Rosamia41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on you. If you are the type of person who speak to anyone anywhere and aren't shy then yes. But then there are people who take feedback well and some who get offended. So its really a give or take.
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    If it was me then I would appreciate the advice but some people can get defensive if they feel like they're being criticised. They might feel embarrassed or think 'mind your own business'. If you do then be careful how you approach it.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    probably not, I know most people would consider it ofensive if someone directly corrected them. Perhaps you could just stand next to them and workout with the correct form, and you'll notice they sneak glances at your form, and gradually change their form.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Omg. No. Myob please, do give'em a wide berth though, just in case something falls or someone fails. When not asked, do not give advice.

I might give the gym manager a head's up though.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I WISH someone would correct me LOL. I dont use free weights except when doing squats and I am so self conscious about it. Idk if my form is good or not, but assuming its as crappy as I fear, Id love someone to offer help. But thats just ME. Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    depends on the person and the lift.

i saw a lady doing good mornings the other day, and i had to correct her, because she was probably going to hurt herself by the end of the her sets.
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting again after some time away. I would appreciate ANY advice in terms of how I'm doing - but that being said, I would probably feel like an *kitten*. I will check online to see what I am doing right/wrong and attempt to correct this myself.

I think it also depends if they're new to the gym or not - I personally wouldn't know who is new or old (my gym is enormous). But if you could tell that someone was new, I'm sure they'd appreciate it?
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My vote is YES!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    No. If they didn't ask you for advice, don't offer it.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be corrected if my form was crap. Am not there to fool around!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I WISH someone would correct me LOL. I dont use free weights except when doing squats and I am so self conscious about it. Idk if my form is good or not, but assuming its as crappy as I fear, Id love someone to offer help. But thats just ME. Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.

all guys at the gym are roided out??? Wow thanks for the stereotype....
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    No. Live and let live. Surely someone elses bad form can't offend you that much. If it's not a danger to other people then let them to their (bad) thing. Focus on your own workout, stop watching other people :-)

The thing is you don't know other peoples bodies or whether they might be modifying exercises due to injury or defects. My yoga teacher modifies postures to help with my knee injury. My personal trainer designs ways of working around my injury. We are all different and what's right for you might not be right for others.

I have been 'corrected' by some busy body before and actually, didn't enjoy being lectured by someone who's opinion I didn't solicit.