Are personal trainers worth it?

Options
I was considering hiring a personal trainer for a couple sessions so he or she could show me the best exercises for me. I am not really familiar with any of the machines at PF except for the treadmill and bicycle. I don't want to waste my time or hurt myself doing them incorrectly. Is it worth it or is there somewhere else I can look for guidance? I don't feel comfy asking the employees because they aren't the friendliest people.

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My experience with Planet Fitness has not been good. The owner has even come out against the need for personal trainers. I don't know about yours, but the ones near me have gotten rid of all free barbells and only have a small selection of dumbbells and a smith machine. In my opinion, these should be the staple of any good exercise regimen. You don't exactly need a trainer to put you on an elliptical.

Personal trainers can be good or bad. They are people, not robots. Also, what works for you may not work for another person. Some people want somebody yelling and screaming, some want coddling, some want positive encouragement.

Talk to several different trainers about your goals before picking one. Narrow it down to a two or three and observe how they interact with other clients. Are they attentive or do they tend to let their eyes wander? Are they chatty? Is this what you want?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you find the right one. I would definitely say that you will benefit from having someone show you the ropes with weights and check your form.

Is there anyone you know that could recommend someone to you. Make sure you're clear to them with your goals
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "worth it" is probably in the eye of the beholder....

There are some very fine trainers out there that I would be happy to spend time and money with.

However there are others with whom I felt I paid for more than I received.

I agree that clear goals and a clear plan are important.

I also agree that if you have a chance to check them out in the gym working with other clients that can be very helpful in determining whether or not you might want to hire them.

I wouldn't buy a large package of workouts from anyone who I hadn't had a couple of single workouts with.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you just want basic help you can just ask the people at the gym.

I had a personal trainer for a short time. A good personal trainer with experince is totally worth the money. They are very knowledgeable and will do a program with you that you could not do on your own and get you results you could not get on your own. My personal trainer just made a program for me to do on my own and then did a completely different program with me when I met with him once a week. He did not just lead me through a workout on the machines. It was totally his own program using free weights a bosu and a step and a ball. I could not afford to continue so I had to stop. I would get a personal trainer three days a week if I could. It keeps you accountable too.
  • penguina727
    penguina727 Posts: 11
    Options
    I haven't really paid much attention to what weights my PF has I just really started going back to the gym this week. I have only done the treadmill and the bike so far. I know weights are important but am scared I won't be doing it right. I don't have alot of money so I would only be able to get a trainer for maybe 3 sessions at the most unless they had a really decent package where I could afford more sessions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with PF trainers so make sure that they are at least certified through an accredited organization like A.C.E., NASM, ISSA, AFAA etc.
    As some said, "worth it" is subjective. Since you're brand new to lifting, it probably will be worth it if the trainer is well versed in basic knowledge of lifting and form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • honey2two
    honey2two Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer coming to my house twice a week for 30 mins each time. I started with 1 hour each, but that was shear torture. I'm 246# 48yo. I started in Jan '13 @ 293#. do I owe all that weight loss to my trainer? absolutely not.... other than she turned me on to "clean" eating. I started clean eating 1350 cals a day. But what I will say a trainer gives you is that push. Even though some of the things we do are simple like lunges and squat walks. I would never be able to make myself do as many as she makes me do. If you are the type that is totally self-motivated, don't waste your money. If exercise is like pulling teeth, you can't beat having a trainer.
  • JohnHanly
    JohnHanly Posts: 1
    Options
    A good personal trainer will surely help you in this case.Try looking out for an experienced,and a certified personal trainer who will teach some good exercises and help you in maintaining a fit body.

Personal Trainer in NYC
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    First off I'd get away from planet fatness.

They are kind of useless and I'm not even sure if they qualify as a gym.

Secondly- I support the "maybe" on personal trainer bit.

A good one is worth their weight in gold- but do some research figure out what you want then make sure the trainer you get is the one that is going to help support your goals.

For every good on out there- there are 3 bad ones giving them a bad rap.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Good trainers are absolutely worth it. Aside from teaching you how to do things the right way, they save you the time and effort of designing your own program, and they also push you to do things you don't even know you're capable of.

A trainer at Planet Fitness? I wouldn't waste my money. I also wouldn't waste my time on machines, but that's another topic.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    I was considering hiring a personal trainer for a couple sessions so he or she could show me the best exercises for me. I am not really familiar with any of the machines at PF except for the treadmill and bicycle. I don't want to waste my time or hurt myself doing them incorrectly. Is it worth it or is there somewhere else I can look for guidance? I don't feel comfy asking the employees because they aren't the friendliest people.

I did it one time and my answer is "no".
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Trainers are "worth it" to help you get good form. Bad form can make you injure yourself or get less benefit from the exercise.

Planet fitness... um... I guess it's better than a sharp stick in the eye?
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, My Personal Trainer is great! Of course, he was able to address the issue that I was struggling with and resolve it. He pushes me to exercise above and beyond what I could do on my own. He is very supportive and focused on getting me to My goals.

I picked my trainer based on someone who could get me past where I was stuck. And I picked out someone who obviously knows what they are doing based on what they have accomplished. I figured if they could do it for themselves, they can do it for me.

I would highly recomend hireing one, just make sure it is someone you are comfortable with, who is willing to listen to your goals, and is in or beyond the shape you want to reach.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfy asking the employees because they aren't the friendliest people.

I think this is the problem right here. Why would you go to a place that you feel uncomfortable at?

I have been working with a personal trainer for about a month now. During our initial meeting we went over our goals. I say talk to them first.

My goals were to improve strength and form, particularly in the following lifts: Squats, dead-lifts, bench press, clean and press. Also to be able to scale an 8 foot wall.
  • Lifestyle4life
    Options
    Trainers are definately worth it--to get you started,to teach you form and programs, or to jump start a stagnate routine....but it still is up to you. Fitness comes from the time you put into it. In the gym or out of it.
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used a trainer for 5 sessions. I had pinched a nerve so I wanted exercises that would not hurt my neck. He showed me porper form and designed 3 different sessions that work my core as well as upper and lower body at the same time. I now do the exercises on my own. Just let them know up front that you only want to use them for a defined time. They may try to get you to continue. I would love to keep using him but I do not have unlimited funds. I also go to a gym which is a health and fitness center...so they are all certified and experienced.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness gyms vary. There are 2 within a block of each other where I work. One has a crappy free weight section, which is dominated by muscley young men and there is never any access. The equipment is older and worn. The other has a roomy area with barbells and dumbells, and plenty of clean new benches.

For the price, it's worth it even if all I use it for is a quick lunchtime half hour of circuit training or cardio.

Planet Fitness also includes orientation to the machines as part of the membership...they don't want you suing them, after all!

I never paid for a trainer, as I learn better from books and videos. Other patrons are often willing to give advice if you approach them nicely without interrupting a set.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfy asking the employees because they aren't the friendliest people.

I think this is the problem right here. Why would you go to a place that you feel uncomfortable at?

I have been working with a personal trainer for about a month now. During our initial meeting we went over our goals. I say talk to them first.

My goals were to improve strength and form, particularly in the following lifts: Squats, dead-lifts, bench press, clean and press. Also to be able to scale an 8 foot wall.

You found the great white buffalo. A PT who listens to your goals and actually incorporates a program that will get you there.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer but based on you wanting it for 1 or 2 sessions I would say NO! Getting a personal trainer is a commitment and 2 sessions will not be enough to see any results. If you ask your club manager you should get a couple sessions for free. They should take your measurements and show you the ropes. After that if you still want a trainer do at least 20 sessions. Its not about the money rather the commitment you need to have.
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I participate in small group training 3 days a week at a place called Dynamic Strength and Conditioning. Have been at it for 4 weeks (3 sessions per week), and I can feel the difference. Every Mon/Wed/Fri I'm in there at 4:45 am. Groups are never more than 8 people, and it is the same people every morning. The trainers are all certified (check out their website, google is your friend), and are very concerned with your form. For instance, I was going a little too deep with squats, so the trainer set up a step platform at the depth I should be getting to. Worked perfect.

When I pulled hamstring, they completely re-worked my whole fitness plan to allow healing time.

When I went in for my consultation, we went over goals, and did a fitness/flexibility test to see where I was at physically

Training regiment changes every 4 weeks (I'm on my second 4 week cycle now).

Is it worth it to me? Yes.