Breakfasts or meal replacement shakes

Options
cutieryan
cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
I have a hard time planning a good healthy breakfast in the mornings. I usually don't have time to eat before leaving the house so my first meal is always at my desk (please don't suggest I get up earlier- I have to be at work at 6 so I'm up at 4 to get a work out in prior to work and I am lucky to get to bed before 10 so I just can't do it) I am looking into having a shake in the morning but I want to know whats good- I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I can't even drink. I'm looking for something under 300 calories that is both healthy and edible. Of course if you have any good ideas for a work friendly breakfast share those too! Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time planning a good healthy breakfast in the mornings. I usually don't have time to eat before leaving the house so my first meal is always at my desk (please don't suggest I get up earlier- I have to be at work at 6 so I'm up at 4 to get a work out in prior to work and I am lucky to get to bed before 10 so I just can't do it) I am looking into having a shake in the morning but I want to know whats good- I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I can't even drink. I'm looking for something under 300 calories that is both healthy and edible. Of course if you have any good ideas for a work friendly breakfast share those too! Thanks!

Have you thought of skipping breakfast? If not batch make breakfast burritos and freeze them, they reheat fine in the microwave

inb4shakeology
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Make something the night before, maybe a peanut or almond butter sandwich or leftovers from dinner, it doesn't always have to be typical breakfast foods. English muffin egg sandwiches can be made ahead and warmed up if you have a microwave at work, or oatmeal. Hardboiled eggs, yogurt, string cheese, nuts/seeds, fruit. Sometimes I make my own trail mix kind of thing with Cheerios, some kind of nut, sunflower seeds, & raisins. As far as meal replacement, I like Shakeology but it's expensive, it does fill me up. You could try to find some kind of bar but watch for the added sugars and other crap. I like Lunabars and Rise bars.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    breakfast > pre-made reheated breakfast > skipping breakfast > miracleshakeproduct

I'm in with the premade breakfast burritos. I'll cook a ton of eggs/egg whites, add a protein and cheese, wrap it up and toss it in the fridge.

grab and go, literally. Plus, I already know what's in every one of 'em. Make 5 burritos on the weekend for the upcoming week.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't use a meal replacement shake.

If you are not hungry in the morning, don't eat. If you are, have some stuff premade for you to just grab and take to work with you. Cut up fruit on Sunday and put in little containers for breakfast the whole week. Have yogurts ready. Make five eggs at the beginning of the week. Pop a bagel or some toast or an English muffin in the toaster as you are getting ready, pop an egg in the microwave, than put it together as a sandwich (you can do this at work too). Or make a big batch of scrambled eggs and some bacon or sautéed veggies on sunday. In the morning grab a tortilla, put a bit of the egg, bacon, veggie mixture in it, roll it up and you're good to go.

You could also make oatmeal for breakfasts at work. My husband doesn't get up in time to eat before going to work so he takes oatmeal. He used to take those instant prepackaged ones but now I make little packages for him and leave them in the freezer for him to just grab and go. I put in oatmeal, some brown sugar, some cinnamon and some ground flaxseed. Super quick for him to make and eat at work.

Not having time is fine.... it comes down to preplanning.
  • DaltonsMom910
    Options
    I like the Slimfast shakes.. some people don't like them, but I do. and I also like the Advocare Meal Replacement shakes but they're expensive. I hope you find something quick and easy for you that you like.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Shakes aren't always that "easy" to get together either. When I do my strength workouts in the morning (versus my running) I will make a shake as soon as I"m done. But, unless I've pre portioned the almond milk, and the fruit, and the protein powder, etc... it is still time consuming to get it all together and in the blender and then rinse out the blender.

Sometimes premade is the way to go. Plus, you have total control over what's in it. If I'm REALLY late, I have a stash of healthy oatmeal at my desk. :-)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use Spirutein unsweetened vanilla with soy or almond milk, or get the regular vanilla Spirutein and use unsweetened soy or almond:) It helps to have a shaker bottle. I also do opt-meal shakes in a can (like slimfast--but I don't actually like the slimfast ones.) But you don't need a shake. You can take so many other things.

I like to premake asparagus baked eggs. Take one out at a time to reheat. Also fruit with cheese or nuts, a sandwich, a meal bar...
  • Cheybellie
    Cheybellie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this I have a similar situation and am loving all the suggestions. Thanks everyone!
  • skinny_kyle
    skinny_kyle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought Slimfast shake were pretty tasty but beware...they can do a number on your tummy. (keep the bathroom close).
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies alot, becasue I am not a huge breakfast person myself

Banana
    blueberries
    strawberies
    A little non fat yogurt
    ice
    fresh spinach

or

Banana
    Non fat yogurt
    peanutbutter
    ice

edit to add: you can make a few for the week. cut up the fruit and place in the freezer or fridge in sandhich bags so you can just drop them in the blender

also, it is fun to experiment with different fruits :)
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love Shakeology, I drink it every day for breakfast and occasionally again as a snack. The idea of preparing the night before is also a good one. Or another favorite of mine is oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and raisins, or plain Greek yogurt with a tbsp of honey, almonds, and berries.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is totally a legit option. I do it about 10% of the time when I'm just not hungry.
    My favorite used to be breakfast cereal, but I loved it TOO much and I had to switch to something else.

I use a protein powder I get at Costco. It serves as my breakfast 80% of the time. I doctor the hell outta mine though.

Example shake:
    Natierra - Raw Cacao Nibs, 0.25 oz
    Cytosport - 100% Whey Protein Vanilla Powder (Costco), 1 Scoop (36g)
    Hershey's - Cocoa Natural Unsweetened , 3 Tbsp (5g)
    Kirkland Signature - Pure Vanilla Extract, 0.5 tsp (5 mL)
    Now - White Chia Seeds, 1.8 Tbsp
    Now - Mct Oil, 7.25 g
    Trader Joe's - Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 1.5 cup

I purposely shoot for over 400 cals for satiety.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have four staples for grab and go breakfasts. Advocare MR shakes, greek yogurt & handful of almonds, Luna protein bar, and spinach quiche cups (recipe from Southbeach Diet--I make a 9x13 pan, cut into squares and freeze in baggies. Pop em in the microwave and instant breakfast).

For me, I like my breakfast. It starts my day and keeps me full longer and I binge less.
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Since I started dieting, two months ago, I've had a shake for breakfast every single morning. I thought it was better than my previous option of "no breakfast at all" and I've gotten it down to a science.

I blend directly in the mason jar I drink the shake from, so there's almost nothing to clean up. This is an old housewives' trick - the standard mason jar mouth size is the exact size of most blenders. Before food processors were common, people used to grind spices in their blenders - some companies (Oster maybe?) even used to package their blenders WITH a mason jar.

I've marked with permanent marker on my jars, where the 1 cup line is. I pour in a cup of almond milk, add a scoop of protein powder (or a scoop of SlimFast if I'm on my way to/from a workout and looking for a bit of extra carbs). Then I add either a 80g block of soft tofu or half of a frozen banana. Sometimes I'll mix it up and put in half a ripe avocado instead. I have ground black sesame powder, frozen strawberries, matcha green tea and peanut butter (not all at the same time!!) standing by for days when I don't want my shake to be plain vanilla or chocolate. Add 4 ice cubes, blend, and go! Yummmm~

This is seriously the ONLY thing I bother with for breakfast because it can be put together in under 90 seconds, cleaned up in half that time, and carried to the other end of the house to drink while I'm getting my things together.

Good luck!!
  • suemarotz
    suemarotz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just eat or drink something is my advice :) I thought skipping breakfast was just a way to reduce my daily intake, until the numbers on the scale went up instead of down. I do love the Body by Vi shakes, with almond milk and so many different ways to make them, the base tastes like cake, they are filling and delicious And you can get them for free if the $2 is too expensive. They do have a money back guarantee too... but just eat or drink something and start your day out to keep your metabolism going ;) Good luck!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My goto breakfast is some pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage patties and a banana. The sausage I keep in the freezer and it takes 1:15 to re-heat them. Good source of protein and fat for the day, and the banana is a potassium boost. It takes just as much time to make breakfast as it does to make a cup of coffee.
  • Perrylr21
    Perrylr21 Posts: 51
    Options
    I've started using Zeal products and have a Protein/Wellness drink with unsweetened Almond Milk every morning. It has a great taste and you get your protein and vitamins. I wouldn't suggest skipping breakfast as your metabolism needs a jump start and since you are working out in the morning, a protein shake would be ideal. Just my honest opinion.......
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    I seem to be running late no matter when I get up (thank you, kids) so my typical breakfast is a protein shake (1 scoop of Muscle Milk, 6 oz. of water - 150 cal) before I leave the house followed up with a piece of fruit at my desk. This holds me over to my 10:00am morning snack.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Three tablespoons of Gen Soy protein powder + one cup almond milk ... <200 calories, and usually keeps me full till lunch (I say usually because there are some exceptions.) And it tastes like chocolate milk!

But I, too, don't have time in the morning. I have to get ready, I have to get my kid ready, and on top of that, I cut out wheat ... so I can't make up peanut butter and banana sandwiches the night before like I used to. So, this works well for me. (I also got a new car, and the rule is "no eating in the car" -something my nutritionist/dietician from a few years back would be happy I'm finally enforcing - so there is no hitting the drive-thru or gas station on the way to work.)

I know some people disagree with this approach - eat real food instead! But when you only have a few minutes, it's easy, and it's 15 grams of protein ... more than in a LOT of foods out there.
  • PCradledeSilva
    PCradledeSilva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too drink Shakeology for breakfast and alternate between the tropical strawberry and vanilla.I have also tried the chocolate in the past. Most of the time I also add fruit, sometimes peanut butter and spinach. It is quick and quite filling. It also helps with weight loss.