A fair question about "eating clean"

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    why post this? is it that hard to just worry about your own diet and not what everyone else is eating?

Please read previous posts.
    I did, I guess I'm just not buying that your intentions are as noble as you say they are! But hey, I'll take your word for it!
    To actually answer your question, I am trying to eat *cleaner* (I don't care what you call it) and I've been making protein shakes lately as well as eating a lot of protein rich foods (because I like them)! I'm probably getting more protein than I actually need, but I'm full all day and everything I eat tastes good to me.

I don't go around claiming to eat clean though, but I am working on eating an 80/20 which of course leaves a little room for indulgent food. A lot of people follow that, maybe they count their protein powder in with the 20%?

Idk, it's processed obviously, but I feel a lot different after drinking my protein shake (I make it with skim milk, greek yogurt, a banana and a scoop of chocolate protein powder) than I do after eating taco bell (which I love also but am trying to cut down)!

Well and my question about the protein supplement/powder is also a personal one.

I have Type I/ "Juvenile" diabetes and have since I was 15. I have had some concerns about early signs of kidney damage.

Overloading on protein is a concern for me because it can make what are now small problems much worse.

I was intrigued by the idea because it is such a common topic on the forums-then when I started some of these new Pilates routines, the creator of the website is big advocate of eating clean.

But I know me, and I know I'd struggle too much with never eating any processed foods (like I mentioned, blue corn tortilla chips with salsa or pico de gallo...one of my true weaknesses), so I know I could never go completely 100% clean...

A protein shake in the morning (berries, protein powder, greek yogurt, etc) sounds like a fantastic idea for me to try to eat before I go to work/after I work out in the morning...but again, the idea of getting large amounts of protein would worry me a bit because of my kidney issues.

Thank you for taking my question seriously. I'm not sure how I could have phrased it that people would not have had one severe reaction or another.

Thanks.
    To be fair, I assumed you were trying to start something because a lot of people on the forums do that on purpose and not just because of how you worded it, so sorry for assuming!

I don't have any health issues that require me to closely watch my diet, I'm just (recently) trying to eat less processed food to see if it gives me more energy and helps my weight loss. One thing I will say, I get to eat a lot more this way! lol

I completely know the kinds of threads you are talking about...this wasn't intended to be one of those, but I can see how it'd be taken that way.

I've also hit kind of a plateau in my weight loss and I'm trying some new things (I've started doing more pilates and less straight up cardio to try to add strength training-doing more fruits and vegetables and trying to eat more fresh/raw foods...especially since it's summer time and it's been MISERABLY hot out here-the raw fruits and veggies are refreshing).

Just looking into different possibilities and trying to understand what the definition of clean eating is because it seems to be a way to describe a wide variety of eating patterns.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know one whole "clean eater" who consumes protein powder. His definition of "clean" doesn't mean unprocessed. Or he would never eat flour, or meat, or sauces, or any vegetables he didn't pick out of his own garden. His deal is with additives that he doesn't deem necessary. Whatever protein powder he uses only has a couple ingredients and he knows what they are and what they do.

Not that I actually believe this isn't "bait" of some sort. But I can pretend this is purely an educational discussion, too ;)

Well I'm grateful you don't believe it's a bait like some people do. It's a legitimate question.

I didn't say it was bait. I said, "It looks like bait." It doesn't help matters when you alternate honest, well-intended questions with rhetorical, leading questions as if you are coming from a specific food paradigm and suggesting that people somehow defend their positions to you. Even the question in the topic heading has the term "clean eating" in quotations as if you are being grammatically sarcastic. Again, this is about how you worded it, not the actual content of the question. I believe you when you say you are being earnest. You wondered why you didn't have the glut of responses you expected and I was giving you a possible explanation.

You are correct when you say it defines a variety of eating patterns. I guess my big issue with posts like this is that they're sort of unnecessary unless you're looking for either confirmation bias or an argument. A thirty second Google search will tell you everything you need to know about this subject and will probably be more objective than soliciting personal anecdotal accounts here in the forums. The concept of clean eating is self-defined. Because of this, there is no singular cohesive set of criteria and as many possible variations of definition exist as there are people. Therefore, this argument will probably never die.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I know one whole "clean eater" who consumes protein powder. His definition of "clean" doesn't mean unprocessed. Or he would never eat flour, or meat, or sauces, or any vegetables he didn't pick out of his own garden. His deal is with additives that he doesn't deem necessary. Whatever protein powder he uses only has a couple ingredients and he knows what they are and what they do.

Not that I actually believe this isn't "bait" of some sort. But I can pretend this is purely an educational discussion, too ;)

Well I'm grateful you don't believe it's a bait like some people do. It's a legitimate question.

I didn't say it was bait. I said, "It looks like bait." It doesn't help matters when you alternate honest, well-intended questions with rhetorical, leading questions as if you are coming from a specific food paradigm and suggesting that people somehow defend their positions to you. Even the question in the topic heading has the term "clean eating" in quotations as if you are being grammatically sarcastic. Again, this is about how you worded it, not the actual content of the question. I believe you when you say you are being earnest. You wondered why you didn't have the glut of responses you expected and I was giving you a possible explanation.

You are correct when you say it defines a variety of eating patterns. I guess my big issue with posts like this is that they're sort of unnecessary unless you're looking for either confirmation bias or an argument. A thirty second Google search will tell you everything you need to know about this subject and will probably be more objective than soliciting personal anecdotal accounts here in the forums. The concept of clean eating is self-defined. Because of this, there is no singular cohesive set of criteria and as many possible variations of definition exist as there are people. Therefore, this argument will probably never die.

I suppose you're right. Sorry for the confusion.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me ...... I just came for the gif's :heart:
  • mandles82
    mandles82 Posts: 31
    Options
    I eat clean.... I wash my fruits and vegetables before eating and follow the 3 second rule if I drop food on the floor. Does that count?:laugh:

HILARIOUS!!!!!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i spray windex into my protein to make it clean. lol

I cannot stop laughing at this!! Even my co-worker in the office next to mine asked what was so funny :laugh:
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am also shocked that this thread isn't already 4 pages long of "OMG!!!!!" debates.

To answer OP's question...

All I know is what I do. I don't know if it's right or wrong but it works for me. I try to keep my diet clean probably about 80% of the time. I try to keep fast food, packaged/processed stuff to a minimum or if I do eat processed foods, it's stuff like protein bars and whey protein. To me, that kind of processed food still has enough nutritional value in it that I'm ok with eating it even if it isn't clean. I would love to be in a place in my life where I have the time to devote to making sure I have adequate protein sources available for post workouts, etc but I don't. I work A LOT, like many other people. Sometimes, I need food, and I need it 5 minutes ago. In comes the protein shake/bar, which to me is better than rolling through a fast food drive thru somewhere. I suppose that doesn't make me a real clean eater, but I'm ok with that.

This is what I have been told as well. Protein powder and protein bars are processed but still have good nutritional value so they are a better choice than fast food or other processed foods and a good way to keep protein levels up while trying to maintain a 90% or so clean eating program.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't sign a contract that said I would be publicly shamed if I ate something SHOCK HORROR "processed" when I made the personal choice to try to eat cleaner - i do use a protein powder with no artificial flavour or sweeteners made from organic milk from hormone free cows.

I can sleep at night.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    From someone that is not a 'clean' eater I don't see how a hard core 'clean' eater cannot come across something that isn't clean.

I however am eating 'cleaner' trying to stop snacking on chips, candy, bread, and do a better job of eating protien. So it's chicken breasts for me this week. However, I am having something dirty at one meal, and couldn't pass up cake yesterday...oh the sugar addiction!

Hope you continue to progress and learn from the people on this site. Some will be snarky and there's no excuse for that but that's how they are...love them or leave them.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.

itwJYwF.gif
    Alright who is this women she pops up in gif's all over the place.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't sign a contract that said I would be publicly shamed if I ate something SHOCK HORROR "processed" when I made the personal choice to try to eat cleaner - i do use a protein powder with no artificial flavour or sweeteners made from organic milk from hormone free cows.

I can sleep at night.

Execute this infidel in the public square for all the other clean eaters to see!!!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.

itwJYwF.gif
    Alright who is this women she pops up in gif's all over the place.

I think that is Jenna Marbles.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am also shocked that this thread isn't already 4 pages long of "OMG!!!!!" debates.

To answer OP's question...

All I know is what I do. I don't know if it's right or wrong but it works for me. I try to keep my diet clean probably about 80% of the time. I try to keep fast food, packaged/processed stuff to a minimum or if I do eat processed foods, it's stuff like protein bars and whey protein. To me, that kind of processed food still has enough nutritional value in it that I'm ok with eating it even if it isn't clean. I would love to be in a place in my life where I have the time to devote to making sure I have adequate protein sources available for post workouts, etc but I don't. I work A LOT, like many other people. Sometimes, I need food, and I need it 5 minutes ago. In comes the protein shake/bar, which to me is better than rolling through a fast food drive thru somewhere. I suppose that doesn't make me a real clean eater, but I'm ok with that.

Thank you for a serious answer. I'm sure I'll get plenty of debating and angry tirades, but as long as I get a few serious answers I'm happy.

My thing is this: for the most part, I love whole fruits and vegetables...but...how processed is processed? I am discovering there is a broad range of options with clean eating. Some people are fine eating something like Baked blue corn tortilla chips (one of my favorites) with salsa. Other people consider that too processed...

I'm just trying to figure out what constitutes eating clean and when it starts to turn into something else.

I'm just starting to make the transition to a whole foods, plant based diet so I guess I'm starting to eat pretty 'clean' :) My focus is on fresh/raw veggies, mushrooms and fruit, nuts, simple grains like rice and oats, and then eggs and minimal dairy like plain yogurt and cheeses. Plust a few misc. things like flax seed, chia seeds etc. Now, I'm very new at this and it will be a looong time before you see me giving up my Snyder of Hanover pretzels (if ever lol), but for me personally, my diet has progressed to this point naturally, where I now want to eat healthier than the SAD diet that I was eating before. Also, I'm in maintenance and am not eating this way to lose weight.

I did look at protein supplements, since I'm no longer eating meat, and ended up not buying any-besides the cost I wasn't liking the ingredient lists. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get enough protein in, without needing to supplement.

Eta: I have started taking vitamin supplements-D3 (drs orders), B12 and then a mult-vitamin. Eventually I'd like to just be taking the B12, but for now I'm ok with the other vitamins :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It is really funny when someone gets on here and says they are a clean eater and you take a look at what is in their diary. They are kidding themselves half the time.

QFT
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My definition is not the technical definition of eating clean. I consider it eating clean if I eat according to my particular plan. If that includes a once a week cheat meal a 90-10 on plan/cheat or even a full weekly binge day, as long as I'm true to the plan I consider the diet clean.

Typically I want all the nutrients I can get within my desired calorie range, so there isn't much room for treats that would be considered unhealthy. Processed foods are few and far between for me, and other than a cup of coffee and protein shake at work, water is the only beverage.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    From someone that is not a 'clean' eater I don't see how a hard core 'clean' eater cannot come across something that isn't clean.

I however am eating 'cleaner' trying to stop snacking on chips, candy, bread, and do a better job of eating protien. So it's chicken breasts for me this week. However, I am having something dirty at one meal, and couldn't pass up cake yesterday...oh the sugar addiction!

Hope you continue to progress and learn from the people on this site. Some will be snarky and there's no excuse for that but that's how they are...love them or leave them.

Thanks! I have started making progress toward cutting out processed foods and trying to add more whole foods. It's working well so far-lunch is treating me pretty well today :)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The impact of poor quality food may have a cumulative affect that could be more broad than merely weight. I suggest this debate be iced for couple of decades--then we all can compare notes. Who is taking what pharmaceuticals to manage which diseases? Who has ambulatory limitations? Who has still has mental clarity?

YET--there is variability in definitions for clean diet. Moreover, there is wide variability among "clean" eaters concerning how clean they need to be according to their own definitions of "clean".

YET--there are enough commonality to identify whole uncompromised foods as a basis for clean diets.

MAYBE-- one day we can stop posturing and instead simple share our own experiences, thereby accumulating enough empirical data to be useful.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The impact of poor quality food may have a cumulative affect that could be more broad than merely weight. I suggest this debate be iced for couple of decades--then we all can compare notes. Who is taking what pharmaceuticals to manage which diseases? Who has ambulatory limitations? Who has still has mental clarity?

YET--there is variability in definitions for clean diet. Moreover, there is wide variability among "clean" eaters concerning how clean they need to be according to their own definitions of "clean".

YET--there are enough commonality to identify whole uncompromised foods as a basis for clean diets.

MAYBE-- one day we can stop posturing and instead simple share our own experiences, thereby accumulating enough empirical data to be useful.

This post is completely ridiculous. I was eating mostly high quality food and overweight back in October when I was sick. They did what I call my "baseline" bloodwork. My hdl was CRAP, my triglycerides were CRAP and my blood glucose was all over the map. I lost weight eating a diet that I would say was 60/40 'clean' and 'dirty' (I hate those words) and my recent bloodwork revealed my HDL had improved so remarkably my doctor asked me to Go work for Crestor (j/k, but you get the idea) My triglycerides were off the chart low at .66 and my blood sugar was completely normal. B12 was great, Magnesium and Vitamin D were great... what else? Oh yeah, my blood pressure went from 170-190/90-100 to 125-130/75.... So why don't we discuss the medication I AVOIDED instead?
  • kevindhaliwal
    kevindhaliwal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • kevindhaliwal
    kevindhaliwal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i spray windex into my protein to make it clean. lol

LOOL