Personal trainer issues...

Options
13»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers at commercial gyms are pretty much useless. I have tried many times to get decent coaching on the squat, for example, and finally came to the conclusion that it's a complete waste of money, time and frustration. Spend your time reading about technique and working it out on your own by video taping and critiquing. There are groups on here where you can get help with that. A serious alternative would be to find a powerlifting gym and seek help there.

Can you point me to these groups? I have been taping my squats and reviewing my form myself, but would love some additional critique from more experienced MFPers.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience when I joined my gym and I was SO disappointed! I did tell the woman who did my orientation that I wanted to learn to use the barbells and do compound lifts and she told me that those were great and all but, x, y, and z machines were also great and she spent the whole time going through machines with me, telling me that I'm better off doing lots of reps with light weights, and not to lift things over my head. I felt like my time had been wasted and I was no closer to learning how to work with the free weights. I had been so excited going in, too! It was quite a let down. : (

I wound up deciding that I would try Stronglifts on my own and I've been very happy with it. Eventually I also decided to try a different personal trainer at my gym (whom I had heard good things about) and his strength training philosophy is very closely aligned with mine, so he has been a great fit. And since his advice tends to be right in line with the research I've done, I trust him when he tells me things I hadn't heard before. I didn't trust anything that came from the person who did my orientation, but like you I didn't feel like I was in a position to debate or question her.

So I'd say go for the program in NROLFW, if that's what you want to do. Focus on your form, particularly at first. Don't increase the weights until you have the form down and you feel comfortable.

I empathize with you! Don't let this bad experience keep you from doing what you want and from working towards your goals.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer works for YOU. If you say you want to do a type of workout "x", and they tell you "no you have to do y" - you are well within your rights to fire them. They should help you meet your goals, and you should not feel any obligation to work with them if they are not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    A good trainer first runs an assessment of physical ability. From that they discuss with you what your goal is. Now some may say they want to lift heavy, but if their "base" isn't physically fit to start, then the trainer should suggest that they start at a point that's achievable. In other words, a newbie really can't do a clean and jerk well without learning the correct mechanics on how to pull from the floor correctly, to squatting correctly, to overhead pressing correctly.
    It is the clients money, but sometimes some people may be overzealous about what they think they want to do. Again, this entirely depends on how the physical assessment goes. Obviously a competitive athlete has much more experience than a newbie and not as much time has to go into physical assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer once and hated it. It seems like I knew more than he did as I did a lot of research. He even took a break in the middle of our training session. I'm not against using a personal trainer but there are bad ones and good ones. You need to find one that will work with you to help you reach your goal.

Many of the "trainers" at the chain gyms are there to sell more sessions than to have you reach your fitness goals.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can understand wanting some guidance, and possibly some accountability support from a trainer- but what a disappointment. If you are like me and are motivated by support and feedback (that is constructive and not stupid) then I say take the gym up on the offer for a new trainer, and hopefully they are taking your feedback seriously to improve the experience overall for everyone (as I am certain you are not the only one - but perhaps one who can articulate well what is wrong).
    Good luck in your next steps, and I hope you get what you need.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    He was very affirmative when I suggested I didn't want to use machines and wanted to use free weights (even though he hadn't tailored the plan for me at all) and to be honest it sounds silly but I didn't want to question him too much because he is qualified compared to me being not qualified but having read so much research and information on the contrary to what he was saying.
    I just didn't want to insult him I suppose. I can be a bit withdrawn in new surroundings like this (this is my first week at a gym, I am normally outside running or doing home workouts).

I should also point out - I pay 40€ a month for this gym compared to 15€ a month I could pay at another gym and teach myself or pay €80-100€ one off to buy the equipment for my apartment and do it here.

Just wanted opinions on if that'd be a good idea really and also to see if anyone agreed with his suggestions to me! He is saying 2 months of the weight machines and then I could move on to free weights. But my argument is using a bar with no weights is surely a better way to start that machines to target certain areas when I want to move up to a full body style of lifting?

He's talking complete BS. If you have the NROLFW, then follow that.

You DO NOT NEED MACHINES. In fact, I think machines are waste of time because they isolate the muscles to much.

In my 30 odd years of experience lifting weights, PTs in gyms are worse than useless, they can be downright dangerous. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I have yet to meet one.

You want heavy weights and low reps, just like everybody else.

The only problem with free weights and lifting heavy is that you need a partner or spotter, what if somebody likes to train alone?

I have yet to use a spotter though I've only been lifting about 5-6 months. My gym is in my garage.
  • rmaxwell142
    Options
    I, for one, have benefited immensely from having a PT, especially in the beginning to change my diet and get help with different weight lifting exercises. Now that I have some more experience with lifting and nutrition, I don't feel that I need that as much. However, when I first started, I was a bit disappointed that my goals were pretty much dismissed and we worked on what the trainer wanted me to do instead.

Don't get me wrong. I think personal trainers can be an incredible help. The key is finding the right one. There are some trainers at my gym that I would not want to work with! Their styles just don't fit my personality and they treat people like crap. There are some good ones, though, and for that, I'm really thankful. My PT has helped me in so many ways, if for nothing else than to keep me on track and serve as a friendly face at the gym.

If you want a personal trainer (and I would recommend one), keep looking until you find one that listens to you and whose personality you can work with. Take a look at their background and qualifications. If you can't find one at your current gym, go elsewhere. It's your money and life!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    This guy is seriously inept or just leaching you for money, possibly both. Talk to the gym management and inform them of what your goals are. You may also want to tell them that you want to work with a more lenient instructor. You pay for their services, they work for you. If you aren't happy with it, you are can to express your dissatisfaction. I took a peak at your profile and you physique looks perfectly fine to have started weight training already. It looks like you could move passed beginner routines fairly quickly.

My guess is they are trying to prevent customers from quickly learning how to properly exercise. Customers would eventually ditch the trainers to save money and just do their own thing.

I'd also recommend you not mention seeking advice on the net. This maybe a fitness site but I'm willing to bet those same instructors will be biased towards their own inflated sense of self and instructor training, or lack thereof.

That's what I thought about mentioning advice from online too because most people discredit it. Which is ridiculous as I'd be willing to bet his Personal Trainer course was through an online service, for the lack of knowledge he had and/or current research I can't imagine he studied it at college/university. I could be wrong, but if he did then he wasn't taught very well about customer relations, etc.

I have written an email to their management expressing I am considering pulling out of my membership and how I disappointed I am.

After the responses I've had so far, I think I'm just going to go at this alone!

Talk to management and tell them you are looking for a trainer to help you with free weights. Honestly, there IS a place for machines, but you are fine with free weights. I am almost 40 years old, and my trainer is a 21 year old bodybuilder. My routine is just a scaled version of his (he lifts obscene weights....like 120lb bent over rows). Other gym members gawk and shake their heads when they see us training.

99% of the trainers you encounter are going to have done an online/ at home certificate program. Some are better than others. I am at the very beginning of the process of studying for MY certificate. I'm using NASM and they are very focused on program design and keeping the client healthy, safe....and happy.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    He was very affirmative when I suggested I didn't want to use machines and wanted to use free weights (even though he hadn't tailored the plan for me at all) and to be honest it sounds silly but I didn't want to question him too much because he is qualified compared to me being not qualified but having read so much research and information on the contrary to what he was saying.
    I just didn't want to insult him I suppose. I can be a bit withdrawn in new surroundings like this (this is my first week at a gym, I am normally outside running or doing home workouts).

I should also point out - I pay 40€ a month for this gym compared to 15€ a month I could pay at another gym and teach myself or pay €80-100€ one off to buy the equipment for my apartment and do it here.

Just wanted opinions on if that'd be a good idea really and also to see if anyone agreed with his suggestions to me! He is saying 2 months of the weight machines and then I could move on to free weights. But my argument is using a bar with no weights is surely a better way to start that machines to target certain areas when I want to move up to a full body style of lifting?

You DO NOT NEED MACHINES. In fact, I think machines are waste of time because they isolate the muscles to much.

In my 30 odd years of experience lifting weights, PTs in gyms are worse than useless, they can be downright dangerous. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I have yet to meet one.

The only problem with free weights and lifting heavy is that you need a partner or spotter, what if somebody likes to train alone?

False. If the gym has a squat rack and/or cage you do not need a spotter for anything.

Does it help? Yes. Do you need to have one? No.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most gym trainers are worth their weight in duck terds, most of the time its either someone who simply doesn't eat enough and is shredded but isn't strong enough to pick up their own *kitten*, or someone who has been on trenbolone for 10 years, eating 3 square fast food meals a day, doing only chest and arms and can't squat their own body weight. That aside, most training sessions are going to be at peak hours, when your routine will consist of what is conveniently available and your progress will go unnoticed or simply be non existent due to the randomness of the routines. Your best bet is to get on you tube, watch a ton of videos on body building and your money would be better spent buying a beginner weight lifting routine from one of those guys. I recommend the following channels to start - Physiques of Greatness, Strength Camp, Juggernaut Fitness, Candito TrainingHQ, Maxx Chewning, Furious Pete, The Hodge Twins, TheTigerFitness.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

False. If the gym has a squat rack and/or cage you do not need a spotter for anything.

Does it help? Yes. Do you need to have one? No.
    No probs, false. I get the message.