Exercises for lazy people?

Options
13»

Replies

• ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good responses from everyone. As an overweight person myself (but getting there) I would have to say I used any and all excuses possible to not exercise. Bottom line, just didn't want to. And being so overweight, it makes it hard and its hard because you are overweight. Viscious circle.

Once I finally decided to JUST DO IT my mindset changed. Now that I've lost weight, it's easier to exercise and exercise is helping me to lose weight. Sure I still have the same old excuses, and I'd still rather not exercise but I do it and I'm always glad I did and feel better after.

Unfortunately you can't help anyone else until they are ready. This I know.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    You can also work up quite a sweat doing seated shadowboxing, which obviously doesn't involve any kicks, just punches. Easy to do while sitting on the couch watching TV. It's a nice "starter" exercise before graduating to an actual class.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    You may be looking for more, but people really underestimate the power of walking, even slow walking over time with produce results. I know for me I hated to exercise, would never have stepped foot in a gym, but just started out with some slow walks in a local park and once it gets easier you can up the pace and distance.

agreed when I first started at 560 lbs, I could barely support my own weight so I got a script from my doctor for aquatic therapy so I could use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to be able to exercise.. The majority of the time I was in the water I walked in the therapy pool from one side to the other.. I did this the first 17 months and lost 170 lbs... so yeah walking is good........

It is funny how things change though, like I said I started out walking and did only walking for the first 6 months, then once I could do more and had more energy I got a personal trainer who I train with twice a week (finally got over my gym phobia). I now do cardio 5-7 days a week (in addition to my personal training) and have started a C25K, not sure I am going to like running, but at least I am willing to try it LOL! Sorry to babble, my point was really that once you get your body moving, it will tell you what it needs, I can no longer go hours on end (with the excpetion of sleeping) just sitting on the couch, I have to move!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    What does he like to do as far as hobbies, entertainment etc?
    He honestly just sits on his butt and plays Xbox games or watches videos on YouTube. He gets virtually no exercise and eats pure junk.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely responses! I think I'll invite him out with me when I walk the dog this evening and see if he's interested. He knows I'm a speed-walker (I have rather long legs and I prefer running, so I really can't help it) but I really have to slow down with our 14-year old pup so hopefully he won't feel too intimidated.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people that said walking. Make it to a destination so it doesn't seem like work. Walk to the store, a friends house, the dog, to the park etc. Start off just around the block and it'll eventually build up to more
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Horseshoe pitching..............................with the horse attached of course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely responses! I think I'll invite him out with me when I walk the dog this evening and see if he's interested. He knows I'm a speed-walker (I have rather long legs and I prefer running, so I really can't help it) but I really have to slow down with our 14-year old pup so hopefully he won't feel too intimidated.

This! Dog-walking is perfect. I hope you have fun together!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! - www.zombiesrungame.com/ - is a good combination of fitness and geekiness. There's a 5k training plan, too, but the main app plays almost like a video game. You run from zombies, collect supplies, and build your base. Logging his exercise on Fitocracy might appeal to the gamer desire to level up.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! - www.zombiesrungame.com/ - is a good combination of fitness and geekiness. There's a 5k training plan, too, but the main app plays almost like a video game. You run from zombies, collect supplies, and build your base. Logging his exercise on Fitocracy might appeal to the gamer desire to level up.

^Great suggestions! He might like Nerd Fitness, too.

I agree with all the walking comments. Walking is great! :)

Does he play first person shooters? Would he be open to say a paintball outing?
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    You'd be surprised at what can burn calories, especially in very heavy people. I weighed 320 lbs when I started. And I was very nearly bedridden. I started very very slowly. I started with very easy, simple yoga videos from youtube. I walked. And started gardening. The gardening is what's been the constant for me. I go out every evening and rake pine needles, pull weeds, and water. In the mornings I give everything a light water. Anything that gets someone moving, especially when they're lazy couch potatoes, is going to burn calories. I also found hasfit.com, they have super easy beginner workouts, which I absolutely love. After just over 2 1/2 months I'm down to 290. Just be keeping track of and changing what I eat, and getting off the couch everyday. I don't always workout, but I do keep myself moving.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    (I searched the forums and found similar posts but not with the results I wanted so I do apologize if there's another thread like this one.)

A family member of mine who has been extremely unhealthy his entire life is wanting to exercise after seeing my improvement. I'm thrilled but it's very frustrating because of how picky he is. He hates running and is unable to ride a bicycle; there's no sport leagues in our area and whenever I come up with an alternative activity or invite him with me on my own workouts, he shoots it down saying it's boring or he doesn't like it.

Is there any inexpensive activities for him to get into? Every suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Hate to break it to you..but unless your friend makes the commitment and effort to better himself..he's not going to do anything at all that you come up with.

I know you want to help, but he needs to do his own research and figure out what will work for him. And he'll do it if he wants it bad enough. You can't be doing the work for him. And yeah, even trying to figure out what he can or will do. It's one thing to look around for ideas. it is another to expect someone to do all the research and plan out your success.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Gah. Just put the exercise into perspective - Give me a choice between running and cleaning house - running will win 9 times out of 10.
    If you're going to mope about exercise being borig - switch the tv off and see how boring not doing anything is...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Its like this. My mom got me a Nintendo power pad because I was lazy, but liked video games.

20121128040948496.jpg

But I could go 5 trillion times faster by sitting on the ground and punching the pad instead.

superteamgames_2.gif

Point is, don't but a power pad.