What to do when the donut calls me?

Options
I have a nice gentleman who sits right next to me at work and who is nice enough to bring donuts for everybody at work very frequently. I struggle so much with food. I have been trying to plan my meals and do them all right, I have my salad for lunch, fruit for snacks and when I see these tray of donuts right next to me, I forget everything. Had 2 donuts today n feel sick. I know I cannot run away from the world if I dont know how to get past these distractions, I just dont seem to know how?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat more protein to actually feel satisfied with your meals.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    The only possible answer is to JUST SAY NO and then thank you anyway :wink:
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here's what my friend did... and ever since, I have a hard time eating donuts (though I will enjoy one once in awhile).... Look at the donut.... and then imagine ripping out a giant piece of your thigh (try being dramatic about it & sort of act it out - like grab your leg & then lift up the imaginary thigh in your hand) & pretend that you are eating your thigh. That = eating donut. Haha. Sounds stupid, but after the explained it like that, I no longer wanted them like I used to. But sometimes I can't help but ask for a munchkin in the drive thru :)
  • sjaykay13
    sjaykay13 Posts: 74
    Options
    I have a similar situation. My cube is located in a central location on my floor next to the printers. Whenever someone has cake, donuts, candy, soda, everything bad for me, they put it right where I HAVE to walk past to get into my cube.
    I heard once at a Weight Watchers meeting that the average person makes over 2,000 food choices a day. I didn't believe it until I started working at my office.
    You should bring in fruit or other alternatives to help combat the donuts. The gentlemen may get offended but if your actions are geared toward healthier habits instead of "weight loss", than people are more likely to listen.
    Also, eating a high protein & fiber breakfast BEFORE you get to the office may help curb the hunger and temptation. And remember, maybe if you get in an extra workout or plan smaller meals, you could have a donut every once in a while.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I swear offices are the worst for this.....we have donuts every day, no exceptions. I was the skinny girl when I started, they all warned me it wouldn't last, and here I am 50 pounds heavier. Whatever you do, just say no. Get up, walk around, find some work to do, drink water.....its just not worth it. My waist grew 11 inches in a year.
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work in an office that is right next door to a Krispy Kreme shop (ya know, one where you see actually WATCH the donuts being made). I just have to say, it's OKAY to eat a doughnut and I'd be lying if I said I haven't had one or two since I've been working here for a few months. But that's it. When it comes to situations like sweets or junk food or what have you, you just have to say no, but not never. Because, let's get real, one does not eat a single (or even two in your case) doughnut one day and gain weight. It's about moderation.

But if it is physically making you sick, then I say, go with what others have told you. Fruits and raw veg like carrots or broccoli are excellent snacking options. :)
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Find a portion controlled snack that you can eat in place of the donut, but will still satisfy your sweet tooth.

A few suggestions all 100 cals and under:

Deep chocolate Vitatop?
    Fiber One Brownie?
    Sweet and salty Special K bars?
    Piece of chocolate?
    Hard candy?
    Small choc chip cookie?
    etc.

You can have your sweet and not face a 200+++ cal donut.

OR

on donut days, take a donut if you REALLY want one, right when you get it, split it in half and eat only half. You'll still get the taste and satisfaction of the donut but cutting the cals in half.

Think compromise.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Donuts are kind of like the sexy guy that makes you scream in the moment. Then he does not call, and breaks your heart. Best to say F*** off at the start. Save yourself in the beginning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat it and fit it in your day, just readjust other meals, profit
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - is the guy who keeps bringing in donuts overweight? I had a girl like that at my old office - she was obese and was always bringing in cake and trying to push it on everyone. I think it's just because it made her feel less guilty/look less bad when she had a slice or two.

Might sound a bit harsh, but once I realised this, it made it a whole lot easier to refuse the cake and I wouuld sit there happily munching on my carrot sticks ACTUALLY feeling less guilty and looking less bad ;-)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    seriously, I think bringing your own treat, something a bit decadent. Maybe some chocolate covered fruit, a few squares of good chocolate. something within reason to substitute for nasty processed donuts. This way you get a treat, do not feel deprived and get some nutrirtion. Have you ever tried the deep chocolate vitatops? Like cake, or make some brownies substritute oil and eggs with 1 cup pumpkin YUM@!.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tell donuts you are busy with salad.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest thing to deal with but you have to look at the doughnut, imagine that you've just eaten it and another one of its friends then bring on the feeling of "Oh no, I wish I hadn't eaten that!!" Or, you can tell everyone that you can't eat doughnuts, too greasy they bring you out in spots/give you indigestion - once you've done that ou won't ever be able to take one again :smile:
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One thing I find really helpful is to log the calories from that kind of thing BEFORE I even take one. If I look at it in the grand scheme of my daily food log and it will send me way over on calories, then I find it much easier to not take one. If I am going to be under in calories and can eat a donut and still stay under the calories for the day, I will have one (if I really want it).

Also, do not kid yourself that you will work out extra hard later in the day to make up for said donut! I have tried this and it has an almost 100% failure rate. If you can't afford the calories when you want the donut, then no donut!

Another thing I found effective is to write in a notebook the way I feel after eating or drinking certain things. So, for example, after eating a donut I feel full, I get a headache, I get really bad dry mouth and my teeth get a gross coating on them. I worry about how my breath smells after one etc etc. That way, I have a quick reminder of exactly what I will feel like after I eat the donut and it is somehow easier to avoid eating one.

I am huge into cakes and all kinds of sweet things, but when I focus on the long and short term goals I have set, it makes saying no quite a lot easier (our office is big into office pizza days, cookies days etc)
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't answer the phone!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The main reason why I am able to not snack or eat office goodies anymore is because I fast and eat my first meal of the day after work
  • Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to be the person buying the goodies, now everybody is sad I'm not eating so much crap. When I get down a few more lb, I'll have half of one as a treat. Nothing is sustainable if you want it too much
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Visualise in your mind how you would feel AFTER eating the donut rather than how it will taste as you eat it.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I know ahead that there's going to be doughnuts or something similar I'll just workout a little harder so I can at least have one.
  • mrs_n_mommy
    mrs_n_mommy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    u guys are awesome and a lot of great tips...thank you much...I have been thinking about this since morning and think going forwrad I should allow myself a good snack everyday... I going to keep the cap at 250 calories for the snacking...I see its a lot but I think for a junkie its a good place to start and go down from there...