STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You don't live where I live. You don't know what foods costs here.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You have obviously never been poor and tried to feed an entire family.

When my husband was growing up, they would buy bulk beans and rice and tortillas. Throw in some eggs and that was breakfast lunch and dinner for DAYS. Cost pp per meal? Like twenty five cents. Or hot dogs! One pack of hot dogs and buns and a can of chili? $3. Or spaghetti! Back before meat wasnt through the roof expensive, it was a $6 meal they could eat on for days. Or a giant pack of sausage. Or the dollar menu at McDonald's.

There's "rich people" junk food' and "poor people" junk food. People really strapped for cash don't indulge in shopping carts full of name brand sodas, TV dinners, oreos, and Twinkies. They also don't want to munch on carrots like a rabbit. They want hearty, filling meals that stick so their kids aren't asking for a snack in 2 hours.

^^This

When you don't have a lot of money for groceries you don't fill your cart with "junk". You fill it with necessities. It was rare we bought chips, cookies, soft drinks, juice or even milk.
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    come live where i live and tell me eating healthy is just as cheap..

money isnt a problem for us but it is EXPENSIVE here .
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think there are way too many variables to say one way or the other is cheaper. Seriously.

When I was married to my ex husband, we used to eat mostly processed foods and convenience foods with just a bit of produce and fresh items thrown in, and we also ate meat. I currently eat primarily fresh foods, with no pork, beef or poultry, and very few processed "junky" foods. I spend about the same either way. I'm a frugal shopper in all areas and get a lot for my grocery budget.

I know some people who eat exclusively crap and they spend a TON on it.

I know people who meat makes all the difference for...My ex and I spent maybe $20/week on meat and I know a couple who spend at least $15/day on meat. If they gave up even one thing, like red meat, they'd save $100+ per month. For me it wasn't a budget saver at all because fish is just as expensive if not more so.

I know people who eat "healthy" but their kitchens are chock full of pricey 100 cal packs of everything, a million frozen entrees, and processed diet foods galore. Bottled water and diet energy drinks and protein powder...the price of that stuff is NOT low.

I know people who are extreme about gourmet, raw, and/or organic eating and spend at least 5 times my grocery budget each month. Possibly more. My coworker spent $4 on one apple.

It just varies!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    People really strapped for cash don't indulge in shopping carts full of name brand sodas, TV dinners, oreos, and Twinkies. They also don't want to munch on carrots like a rabbit. They want hearty, filling meals that stick so their kids aren't asking for a snack in 2 hours.

Part of the problem is a knowledge gap. For some reason the beans and rice are getting lost, and a lot of people are making horrific financial choices they can't really afford to make. Packaged extremely cheap materials (e.g. potatoes) are often 10x as expensive as purchasing a comparable calorie volume of the base materials.

No idea where people chatting on an internet forum fall though. Cheap, expensive.. it's all relative.
  • CrystalX82
    CrystalX82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There's a reason there's a correlation between socioeconomic status and obesity. If you're on a limited budget, a few things become true.
    - Shelf life is important. You want the most you can get, for the least you can spend, for the longest it will last. NO WASTE.
    - Fill factor is important. High-density, high-calorie foods are usually cheaper. Beans, rice, pasta, cheese, etc. You eat less of those than you do of salad to feel full.
    - Gardening is most likely out. If you're poor, you probably have no place to start a garden, or you lack the tools, etc. to cultivate one. Even if you do, good luck watering it and paying for the water.

I could go on, but those three really address the few points I saw in the initial post that needed attention.

love love love this... SO TRUE. I live in a 3rd floor apartment, zero room for a garden. Also my fridge and freezer are VERY small so shelf life is a huge deal, hence why I have a lot of pasta and mac and cheese and beans. Also, when I lived in NY, many of the healthier foods were on sale and more readily available. Now that I'm in the midwest, all of the garbage is on sale. I buy frozen veggies to get some veggies in my life and eat bananas and apples. When you're a full time student, it is very difficult!
  • 9BallDiva
    9BallDiva Posts: 6
    Options
    This is a non-issue for me. Food is something I'm willing to spend money on. I'll make sacrifices in other areas if I have to, but I've invested too much time and money in my education and my career to say that I can't afford to eat what I want. I'll get rid of cable, Internet, phone, trips, etc., before I cut back on groceries. I do try not to be wasteful with the food I buy because wasting food is just dumb, but that's about as financially concerned as I'm going to get on the subject.

Good quote. Congrats on your 110 pd weight loss!!! :happy:
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Reasonable Quality Steak: $26.99 a pound
    Potato Chips: $3.99 a bag

Just sayin!

Amen!!
    Whoa! Is that gold plated unicorn steak? Angus rib-eye in my area is $9 on sale. I'm glad I live in the cheap seats!

I know. Is that price for aged Kobe beef or something? On sale, Angus ribeye is frequently $9.99 around here with the regular price for ribeye, sirloin, etc. somewhere between $11.99 - $15, depending on the cut. Only something like filet mignon or veal is regularly above that in my area (and I'm not talking Walmart, which I would anticipate to be less)
    Reasonable Quality Steak: $26.99 a pound
    Potato Chips: $3.99 a bag

Just sayin!

Amen!!
    Whoa! Is that gold plated unicorn steak? Angus rib-eye in my area is $9 on sale. I'm glad I live in the cheap seats!

Grass fed usda choice. The really good stuff- prime- 40/lb.
    Comparing top of the line organic aged beef to generic potato chips is a pretty unequal comparison. To be fair, at least compare it to a boutique brand of kettle chips fried in duck fat or something.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    We ate fairly cheap on a variety of "healthy" styles we've cycled through. I can't say how much we spent then, but now it's around $300/month for two people (one low carb, one cleanish - nobody start a fight I said "ish").

I use meal planning loosely (what needs to be eaten next - ok that will be Tuesday). I hit Aldi's and Kroger about monthly. IF you are near an Aldi's the produce is dirt cheap - mushrooms $.59/pkg, Artisan lettuce in the box $1.99. I know they aren't "organic" but organic hasn't come to my neighborhood unless I grow it LOL I also buy nuts, eggs, cheese, pork skins (for the LC'er), etc at Aldi's.

Kroger - I hit the "managers specials" in produce and meats - pick up natural PB (Kroger brand) and otherwise just shop what's on sale. I look for meat under $2/pound first - usually that means whole chickens, chicken thighs or leg quarters, ground chuck on sale, pork (why does freakin pork keep runnin on sale - I've slowed down on it - tired of it). Then if I don't have enough meat I add a few pkgs of the more expensive stuff (English Roast is my favorite to add) I did just grab "clearance - aka mgrs special" organic celery for $1 (2 in the pkg)

I sometimes use a kroger coupon I get in the mail, and I do save coupons for stuff, but I seldom use them. Mostly they are for processed things like mixes and sodas. Since we don't eat them I just give those coupons away or donate the food to our food bank if it makes it free or close to it.
    The rest of the month I shop in my own little town - the store ain't worth much but a sale here and there helps out. And an occasional road side stand (farmers all over the place here - but not many selling local - we're apparently feeding Asia - crops are cotton, corn and soybeans). There are some strawberry farms and orchards (mainly peaches) I can drive a long way to - but I don't like to travel 30-60 miles to buy a bag of peaches.

I do have an egg lady - with mostly free range chickens who meet me at the car like little store greeters - but she is sold out sometimes.

I grow my own food some - I suck at it. There is an investment, but I'm buying in slowly. You don't have to buy it all at once and it's mostly reusable stuff. It's mostly in flower pots - I'm up to about 12 pots. I could do it in the ground - and plan to eventually. Pots are easier for now. They stretch the budget some, but I couldn't live off my garden skills. .

That's just how I afford it. We don't eat breads/processed much. I am eating through a box of Quaker granola bars - free coupon for Kroger - free is always nice :laugh: They do a free coupon every Friday online.

I probably spend 10 mins/week reading the sales papers to plan my shopping - so not a big time investment. I spend some time prechopping and dividing up value packs/veggies. Probably an hour or two a week at most. The rest is just eating it. Most meals are quick or crock pot easy stuff.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I get a free meal every shift at the fast food restaurant I work in. Can't get cheaper than that ;)

(To be fair, I prove that it's possible to make relatively healthy choices during that free meal - smaller burger & fruit bag)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    What kind of meal is rice, beans, and eggs? and with teen boys?

It's calorie-dense, cheap as dirt, and easy.

And the exact diet many many people in this world live on. In fact rice and beans might be the MOST popular diet on earth
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wish I lived where produce was that cheap. I only buy whole foods. It costs close to 100$ for just one person here.

Me too!!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Have to disagree with you on that. It runs about $120-$180 a week for two getting groceries from Fresh Direct or Whole Foods. I don't buy any junk food, soda, or any crap like that. That's with us mostly eating home Mon-Fri. Doesn't even touch the going out during the weekend.

Not complaining about the price though. We busted our *kitten* in college for a reason.
  • Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do find if you visit the markets on the dodgey area of town to get fruit/veg, and shop for dry lentils, beans and spices in the asian store, it's cheaper than big supermarket. However, when I've been very poor in my first year of studenting, a loaf of bread, block of cheese and bottle of chilli sauce used to do me for a week, is that junk or healthy?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What kind of meal is rice, beans, and eggs? and with teen boys?

It's calorie-dense, cheap as dirt, and easy.

And the exact diet many many people in this world live on. In fact rice and beans might be the MOST popular diet on earth

And totally devoid of the "fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese." the OP was talking about.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    $30 for 2 people for a week?! Where do you live?! I spend around $50 on produce every week for my family of 4. $60 on protein, and then you have to add in the dairy and bread items. I buy only items that are on sale (except bananas - they never go on sale!) & use coupons when I can find them, and I still spend around $150/week for 2 adults and 2 small kids. Definitely would be cheaper to live on chicken patties & Kraft mac & cheese.

This is me as well. I live in a state where fruit especially isn't grown and it adds up quickly. I'm willing and able to do it but I won't discount that there are far cheaper meals to be had.
  • mistyrae06
    mistyrae06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm with the bulk of you here, but I wanted to add a lifesaver for my fiance and I - we buy almost all of our lean proteins at Costco, plus a giant bag of broccoli, stoplight bell peppers, seasonal fruit, and organic baby romaine heads (they last longer than the larger ones, and you can use them for lettuce wraps!). I usually buy groceries at our local market (more peppers when we run out, baby carrots (the ones at Costco are always very dry), and milk and plain soymilk, and I spend maybe $30 every week and a half.

$200 for Costco + $75 groceries = $275/2 = $137.50 per person per month. Not bad for a relatively healthy diet! I would say we eat "clean" most of the time, but I'm a fan of moderation and make a mean homemade pizza (chicken + broccoli + a sprinkling of aged cheddar instead of your usual cheezy pizza = perfect)!

PS - we live in DC, but this worked for us in TX and OH before. I personally wouldn't cut my budget much more because I think eating healthy is worth the cost.
  • anglhart
    anglhart Posts: 5
    Options
    You're topic and OPINIONS are fine, but why do you sound so angry? So buying healthy is cheaper for YOU, stop being so angry at everyone else who states their experience is different, it may be, it's THEIR experience.
    Good topic, bad way of expressing it.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It can be more expensive depending on what you're comparing it to. I used to feed my teen boys and I those $3 all in one boxed dinners. I can't make a healthy meal for 3 people for $3. I'm glad that your grocery bill hasn't gone up but don't assume everyone shopped the same way as you.

And don't assume that everyone has the same cost of living as you. I go to school in one of the most expensive and highest cost-of-living cities in Canada, and $30 doesn't get you much in the way of produce here, and doesn't amoritize across a long period of time, whereas I could get a $5 sub at Subway and still win.

Not all of us have the luxury of investing a lot of money or time to start up (and maintain) a large vegetable garden, nor do some of us even have yards to do it in.

Congratulations on your success, seriously. I'm just saying that it can be very challenging for those of us who live under the poverty line and have to be wise in our purchases so we can stay away from food banks.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Growing up we had rice and beans with every meal and some cornbread. Breakfast was rice and eggs and sometimes rice with sugar. There would always be some kind of meat too. This was the only way my parents could fill my brothers belly. teenage boys can eat a lot and mama has at least 100 different recipes for rice and beans.