STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Aldo, you can get some of your produce from the "discount" or "manager's special" section of the produce department. The produce is perfectly fine, there's no shame in doing it (I do it all the time, I got 2lbs of broccoli rabe for $0.59 ... It's a sin the amount of produce that is wasted becauce it's "not pretty enough" to sell ...
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.

Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

My husband was making well into a 6 figure salary. And then the recession hit. Not only did he lose his job, but a week later we lost our house in a fire. House gone. After our savings was gone, so were our cars. And our food. Gas. Livelihoods.

My "poor decision maker" of a husband found someone who would let us use a shop behind their house and literally built us a one room apartment in it with his own two hands where we lived for 18 months while we replaced jobs, cars, and savings, and most importantly...credit scores! No insulation, a wall unit a/c (and I live in Texas!), no stove, oven, or dishwasher. A bed, a crib, a set of bunk beds, a couch, a fridge, toilet, a sink, and a workbench that doubled as a countertop, 2 adults, 3 kids, and a dog. In 600 wallless square feet built for horses (which thankfully never lived there.)

We weren't even living paycheck to paycheck. More like odd-job to hopefully-there's-another-odd-job. No help from the government until a case worker lied for us and subsequently lost his job. So, yeah, my kids and husband and I had a rough couple of years. I know what it's like to cry over an McDonald's ice cream sundae because it's been SO long since you've had any sort of luxury. I know what it's like to go without food so my kids can eat

And you know what? I pray that never happens to you. But it might give you a little empathy to experience the "other side." God knows I was an entitled, oblivious, arrogant child 5 years ago.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    NO
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    $30 for 2 people for a week?! Where do you live?! I spend around $50 on produce every week for my family of 4. $60 on protein, and then you have to add in the dairy and bread items. I buy only items that are on sale (except bananas - they never go on sale!) & use coupons when I can find them, and I still spend around $150/week for 2 adults and 2 small kids. Definitely would be cheaper to live on chicken patties & Kraft mac & cheese.

Bananas often get red or blue taped, when they are getting too ripe, and are substantially cheaper then. I only eat organically grown bananas, which I don't see taped for clearance very often, but when I do, I buy them all, take them home, peel them, and freeze them in zip lock bags, to be made into shakes and smoothies later. :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later, I sense some fabulous arguments and entertainment in this thread.

Anyway, to answer the opening statement... I don't say that.

I'd rather spend my money now on fresh food and a gym membership than obesity related disease later. Plus, I know what I used to spend on junk food, alcohol and junk food, plus of course the junk food.... Fresh food is saving me money.

But of course, each to their own.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    And you know what? I pray that never happens to you. But it might give you a little empathy to experience the "other side." God knows I was an entitled, oblivious, arrogant child 5 years ago.

I hear you there. A bit of humble pie is rough to digest... but a valuable learning experience typically. I wish no one had to make choices like "I've been blowing green **** out of my head for 3 weeks... do I not eat for a week and go to doctor or skip doctor and eat for a week?" Reality is, unless you've climbed to the point of having enough invested AND saved that you could live out the rest of your life without issue, you can still end up down at the bottom again (and stupid people can even with savings and investments.) I've been in the black and far into the red several times in my life, one of my greatest fears is falling to the point again where I couldn't afford to feed myself and family... now that I have kids its pure terror.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Reasonable Quality Steak: $26.99 a pound
    Potato Chips: $3.99 a bag

Just sayin!

This !!!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

$30 worth of food. Well then you didnt buy any watermelons. 1 Sheety azz watermelon where I live is 7 friggin dollars. 7 dollars for a piece of garbage (probably GMO) fruit thats white and pinkish (not a deep red) when you slice it open and tastes like feet.

All food is expensive, it just so happens that foods that are better quality do cost a bit more per unit. So when are you coming to my house to excavate and build planting boxes in my yard and begin installing a garden? Cause apparently you do that for free as with your suggestion it doesnt cost me a thing!!! Thanks so much for offering to do this for me and everyone on MFP. You are a lifesaver and your generosity is greatly appreciated!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • 0gone0
    0gone0 Posts: 15
    Options

I spend $100 dollars a week to feed two people with so called healthy food. I spent less when we didn't eat in that manner. It is really just that simple. It's cheaper. Is it better? No. Is it cheaper? Yes. I'm really unsure of how any argument can be made against this, without arguing for the sake of arguing. The just add milk junk is cheaper.

I wouldn't know, I don't eat it. Looks like crap.

Still it wasn't a reference to hamburger helper, but a reference to the mentality of "Vegetables are worth the extra cost because of nutrients!" When, frankly, I need some calories too.

Gotcha. I don't match with the 1 for 1 comparison, the idea of healthy is to expensive as processed is to inexpensive.

For example, I stopped eating wheat and processed sugar. If I were to make cupcakes with almond flour, honey, and coconut oil frosting with organic powdered sugar...I mean, heck yes, my grocery budget would SKYROCKET.

But instead I chose to have...say... a cup of whole milk yogurt (.58 cents a serving) and a quarter of a mango (bought on sale for .79), I would have a satisfying, nutritionally dense dessert for around .70 cents. WAY less than eating either the processed homemade cupcake or the smoke-and-mirrors "healthy" almond flour cupcake, and less than a candy bar as well.
  • crosstrich
    crosstrich Posts: 40
    Options
    Some people are making some really great points about calorie content vs vitamin/nutrient content. Definitely something to consider.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    When I shop for healthier foods, I definitely spend more money. It's more expensive to buy fresher items.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

$30 worth of food. Well then you didnt buy any watermelons. 1 Sheety azz watermelon where I live is 7 friggin dollars. 7 dollars for a piece of garbage (probably GMO) fruit thats white and pinkish (not a deep red) when you slice it open and tastes like feet.

All food is expensive, it just so happens that foods that are better quality do cost a bit more per unit. So when are you coming to my house to excavate and build planting boxes in my yard and begin installing a garden? Cause apparently you do that for free as with your suggestion it doesnt cost me a thing!!! Thanks so much for offering to do this for me and everyone on MFP. You are a lifesaver and your generosity is greatly appreciated!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Where on earth do you live that watermelon is so much? I love me some watermelon, so I can't afford to live there. lol
  • K_Serz
    Options
    FYI If You Are American.....

In 1929, the avg American household spent more than 23 percent of disposable income on food. Since 2000 the percentage of disposable income on food has been under 10 percent every year.
  • K_Serz
    Options

Where on earth do you live that watermelon is so much? I love me some watermelon, so I can't afford to live there. lol

Indianapolis.

Seriously. $7 here. And they are pure crap. I wouldnt pay $2-3 for them and they are one of my favorites too!
  • 0gone0
    0gone0 Posts: 15
    Options
    FYI If You Are American.....

In 1929, the avg American household spent more than 23 percent of disposable income on food. Since 2000 the percentage of disposable income on food has been under 10 percent every year.

Huh, interesting! I wonder if this factors in the cost of eating out.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find your post to be quite negative rather than positive like it could have been.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Indianapolis.

Seriously. $7 here. And they are pure crap. I wouldnt pay $2-3 for them and they are one of my favorites too!

Watermelon and honeydew are summer requirements for me. But I'm cheap, so there is no way I would spend 7 on them. Haha. That's insane.
  • briannaaclark1
    Options

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

As a broke college student, I can tell you that 30 dollars a week on healthy foods was just not doable for me. If I wanted to eat I had to really stretch my dollar into things that last for at least two weeks because I had a budget of 50 dollars a month for groceries.
    So healthy food IS more expensive because you have to buy it more often. And it is pricier. There is no getting around it.
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    was in the grocery store with my kids last week (we are lucky enough to live in a part of the US where we have a well stocked local grocery that carries produce) and they each chose a snack. one kid chose a tree ripened nectarine (the regular ones taste like plastic) for $0.59. another kid chose a snack size bag of chips for $0.25. a third kid wanted raspberries but for $4 per half pint I told him to choose something else. he settled on a mango for $1.29 (of which he ate 2/3 so you can do the math there but its still a lot more than the chips)

I prioritize healthy foods but its alot more expensive than junk foods. and typically healthful diets require more time, energy, planning, storage and prep space. resources not everyone has. I do not have space to store enough produce and dairy for my family for more than a few days. which means I have to have the time and ability to shop a few times every week. yes, I believe its worth the time, but I'm able to say that because I have the time.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.
    turtle4.gif

YESSS!!!!