STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• SteviMcEwan
    Options
    However one roast, some potatoes, and kale (which I would never eat, but whatever) would be...dinner. Maybe some tasty leftovers for lunch.

Out of interest... what IS Kale? I don't think I've ever seen that on my veg shelves. lol. It sounds weird so I assume it's green. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    $30? Including meat? See, I don't believe in buying factory farmed meat, so I can easily spend $30 on meat for just one meal. Our milk is from a small local dairy, and I easily spend at least $20 a week on that. Farm fresh, local, pastured eggs? 3 dozen/week for $12. Then onto fruits and veggies: at least $50-60/week. So yeah, we eat pretty healthy, but it ain't cheap. And it depends on what you define as "healthy." Anything from a factory farm, to me, isn't healthy. GMO ingredients, which I'm pretty sure is in your bread, isn't healthy, so I have to spend more to buy things that *I* believe to be healthy, which includes organic flour so I can make my own breads.

This is a great point. Fresh seasonal fruit and veggies are pretty cheap where I live. I am lucky in that. I splurge big time if I spend more than $10 or $15 a week on produce. And that buys me a lot. Esp strawberries since we grow them year round here. Meat and dairy on the other hand. I want grassfed meat, and we don't have anyplace really to buy that locally so it is $$$$ and then some. Same with eggs and dairy. Eating animal products to me personally are only going to be healthy if they came from a healthy animal. That means hormone free and not living in a cage and fed only corn. That also means I'm paging out the rear to eat *healthy*.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    However one roast, some potatoes, and kale (which I would never eat, but whatever) would be...dinner. Maybe some tasty leftovers for lunch.

Out of interest... what IS Kale? I don't think I've ever seen that on my veg shelves. lol. It sounds weird so I assume it's green. :)

kool-kale.jpg

I only eat it when it's cooked with pig feet/ham hocks or turkey neck/wings, and even then I'm not a fan. Taste too...leafy for me.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I spend about $80 a week or so on groceries for my husband and myself. Avoid all middle aisles, just get our fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, and meats and away we go!

Edit to add: When we were eating heavily processed, including take out, and regular groceries - we spent probably around $160-$200 a week.
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options

kool-kale.jpg

I only eat it when it's cooked with pig feet/ham hocks or turkey neck/wings, and even then I'm not a fan. Taste too...leafy for me.

Looks like broccoli. I don't like broccoli. I'm funny with Cabbage to. I LOVE Savoy cabbage but you can only get it in the winter here :(
  • crosstrich
    crosstrich Posts: 40
    Options
    maybe i misunderstood you, but it sounded to me like you were saying that there is more value in potato chips and soda than that woman's entire bag of groceries. that is were i took issue.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I agree fruits and veggies are really cheap in reality. I usually buy a bag of apples and a bag of oranges and they last all week easy for a grand total of 10$. Other veggies are pretty cheap, I agree, but Idk if I could feed two people for a week on $30. That said, I always buy in bulk, be it meats or fruits/veggies. Its the cheapest way to go. Period.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I agree there are was to save money eating fresh. Lots of times this is true and yet people will still use it as an excuse. That said there are food desserts where fresh food is scarce. Places where the easiest food source is a corner store. Not every town has a super market that has fresh food prices to season. That said people I live near use this excuse. I feed a family of 4 on a budget of 300 dollars a month. I can not do that only buying junk. I am not buying all organic either. If potatoes are on sell we eat them if not we might not. It requires work. I just had this debate with a friend who is no longer in college mode and said I would like to eat healthy but it is too expensive. So I showed him how to shop, he bought a deep freezer and put it in his garage and stocked it up. Avacados go on sell several times a year around here he eats a lot of mexican food so I showed him how to freeze them and buy them when they are 3 for a dollar vs 1 for 2.50. Stuff like that. Buying in bulk, buying big bags of frozen when not in season all that helps. I can usually get a meal down bellow value menu prices per person. So if your excuse is only time and not the area, than I know for a fact eating fresh is cheaper. I grew up poor and buying junk food was a luxery. Eating at McDonalds was frowned on because that costed money we didn't have. When I need to cut out of my budget I buy the core items. Beans, wild rice, whole chickens(usually under 70 cents a pound) and season produce or bulk frozen. A lot of soups, casseroles, stewed cabbage(cabbage super cheap) and save money by not buying sodas, frozen pizzas, box dinners.
    My point is most people..., not all... But most can save shopping with healthier options in the cart than junk. Most of them when confronted want to believe they are saving money even though they are not. Saving time maybe but usually not money. Most people are the same when they start eating healthy. They buy health food store fat free glutton free pretzel chips 4 bucks, organic yogurt imported with penguin milk 10 bucks, all organic tofu box dinners in a curry sauce 7 bucks a box. Buying leeks and beets and such regardless of season. Grocery bills shopping healthy can get really big. Behind any need is someone wanting to upswell something.
    I have Mac and cheese, I have a head if cabbage, group of tomatoes, bag of chips, freezer bags of ground beef I bought is one big roll mixed a few expensive lean pounds with than devided and froze in one pound blocks. I bought spaghetti sauce already made, than bought canned tomatoes and a basil plant to make some fresh. My freezer always has frozen veggies and roasts and chickens I buy what is on sell and it differs. Eating a healthy diet doesn't mean only buying things labeled health food. It is being smart finding a way that fast food is the more expensive choice. That dinners don't always come out a box, that something fresh makes it to a plate every so often. It isn't rocket science but it does take math.

Again this only applys to people not trapped in a food dessert. If you only have access to junk in your neighborhood bubble than it takes a whole different sets of skills and resources.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    For those who say healthy food is too expensive; is it more expensive then the doctor? Because you will spend more time being sick and at the doctor (and missing work/kids missing school) if you eat unhealthy then if you pay up front for healthy and eat better.

But ultimately it is your decision to make. We choose healthy up front and skip on doctors.

That's a moot point when you HAVE NO MONEY.
    If I'm broke, guess what? There's no "decision" to be made. I get to feed my family for a week on $50. If I get sick, guess what? It doesn't matter how expensive the doctor is because we aren't going unless its to the ER.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    it depends where you live and where you shop.

i started saving money when i did the shop at home option where i can browse by unit price and shop that way, helps find the sales better!

this month, not including the toilet paper i need to get, my bill is about $154. this is the monthly shop for two adults, although i go back about 2 more times in the month to get more produce. $29.98 is produce, that will last me close to 2 weeks (lettuce, pears, bananas, 5lb bag apples, 2lbs grapes, zucchini, spaghetti squash, eggplant, 2lb bag onions, 5lb bag potatos, bag of mushrooms, cucumber, cabbage). i probably go back to the grocery 2 more times throughout the month for the same produce, so overall for the month food wise i spend maybe close to $220, to add in the extra milk, loaf of bread or eggs i may pick up since what i get initally won't last the month. there is some junk on the list for my dude, such as triscuits, gatorade, chefboyardee for him when i dont feel like cooking, and some packaged items like jalepenos, banana peppers, salad dressing, diced tomatos, cereal. mayo, pickles, pasta.

i think it prolly would be a little cheaper if i were to spend most of that money on canned meals like chefboyardee or hot dogs or things like that, but i know i would feel a lot worse and prolly experience some more health problems later on. i don't really bother with organic produce, just give them a good washing. i live in ny and groceries definitely do cost more than when we lived in the midwest, but it's whatever. i do think it is more expensive to buy healthier foods that are organic and free range and whatnot, but if you buy regular eggs, milk, cheese and regular produce it isn't really too much more. it's a pain to prep things ahead of time but i think it's worth it. i made a vegetarian chilli the other night, i don't mind eating leftovers in a row and it was cheap to make bc it's just tomato sauce, beans, spices and some of the meatless grounds
  • crosstrich
    Options
    oooh i love kale. i sauteed it the other day and it kinda reminded me of broccoli. i like to blanch it and then saute w/ a little oil and sprinkle it with crushed red peppers, vinegar and garlic. and i love sweet potatoes. that is a meal for me, plus some carmelized onions. im not a huge fan of meat, and mainly just eat vegetables and rice. im not a vegetarian, but meat is not important to me, so i guess i have that advantage. i also like i said before do this for a living. my job is literally using too little money to feed poor people. my budget allows me to spend about $3 a person / meal, including beverages. everything we serve is from scratch and everything we serve is nutrient dense. its possible i promise.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I spend about $30 to $60 a week on groceries for myself.

I tend to buy mostly veggies and healthy staples, they are the least expensive. Dairy and meat are very expensive. Processed food is somewhere in between. I plan my meals carefully and buy groceries twice per week to make sure I eat everything I buy and nothing goes to waste. I guess it depends where you live, but for me, eating fresh healthy foods and making everything from scratch is my cheapest (abeit time consuming) option. Unless I ate ramen everyday...
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I spend about $80 a week or so on groceries for my husband and myself. Avoid all middle aisles, just get our fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, and meats and away we go!

Edit to add: When we were eating heavily processed, including take out, and regular groceries - we spent probably around $160-$200 a week.

Same here. I am really lucky to have access to farmers' markets multiple times a week, and I love it. Another good option for people who want to eat 'whole' foods instead of processed foods on a tight budget is to join a CSA, I'll be doing that this winter for sure if I can find one close enough to deliver to me.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    For those who say healthy food is too expensive; is it more expensive then the doctor? Because you will spend more time being sick and at the doctor (and missing work/kids missing school) if you eat unhealthy then if you pay up front for healthy and eat better.

But ultimately it is your decision to make. We choose healthy up front and skip on doctors.

That's a moot point when you HAVE NO MONEY.
    If I'm broke, guess what? There's no "decision" to be made. I get to feed my family for a week on $50. If I get sick, guess what? It doesn't matter how expensive the doctor is because we aren't going unless its to the ER.

When I was in college, I was paying for a wedding, school, and my home at the same time. Money was so tight, I still don't know how we managed to get by. Tips for people who are on a tight, tight budget are to buy frozen, freeze fruits that are bought, and honestly, I stocked up on bread and pasta. (Carbs, I know!) but I was always able to throw in frozen veggies in the sauce and kept my portions reasonable.... mind you, my grocery store always had pastas (whole grain) on for 3 boxes for $5. Breakfast would be eggs, lunch sandwiches, and dinner pasta. Same old boring meals. You really have to shop bargains and be careful to buy more fresh but freezable than packaged and over processed. (Eg. Bag of frozen peas over a bag chips). O
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    maybe i misunderstood you, but it sounded to me like you were saying that there is more value in potato chips and soda than that woman's entire bag of groceries. that is were i took issue.

No, I think it was being compared to a bag of apples and a bag of baby carrots (which were, specifically, what she listed).

I'm sure not saying potato chips and soda are healthy but a bag of apples and a bag of baby carrots would set me back 5-7 bucks depending on the week, and I'd still be hungry because there just aren't a lot of calories in there. Instead, I could get a pound of pasta and a jar of sauce for 1.5-2 bucks and at least not be staying awake at night from hunger. Fortunately I don't have to make that choice anymore, but there was a time when I did.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.

Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?
  • crosstrich
    Options
    freezing things is such a great idea. to make IQF foods just lay what you want frozen out on a sheet pan, freeze and store in a ziplock bag. i do this with whole chickens (buy whole and break them down yourself), veggies, fruits. also, learn how to pickle and can stuff. if theres a really good deal on something i definitely buy more and freeze/can/pickle.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

There are plenty of people (I know some of them) who were doing just fine before the recession and ended up struggling mightily after one or both of the parents lost their jobs.