STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh my...where do you live, cause where I live fresh fruits and Veggies are SO expensive and don't last long in freshness (like 3 days or less) and so that makes it even more expensive... I will buy frozen, but that's still on the high side!

I can not have a garden where I live as I live a trailer court and it is not allowed...
    Yeah, we lived in apartments for years and never had room for a garden...that's pretty presumptuous to assume that everyone has that kind of space!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Usually the organic area of the shops are alot more expensive isnt organic what healthy or clean eating is?
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Somebody has PMS.

Yes, eating "healthy" foods is good and typically isn't much more expensive than junk food; however, I can tell you now that it also depends on where you live ( for instance, produce, dairy, fish, and poultry, is much more expensive here than it was when I lived in southern AZ, whereas junk food is essentially the same price), what time of year (not everyone can afford a stand alone freezer to stockpile healthy goodies for the winter months), time constraints (not everyone has time to tend to a garden), and what you are buying (I guarantee you that a week's worth of fresh fruits and veggies, even if you live somewhere with inexpensive produce, costs a lot more than a 10-pack of Ramen noodles).
  • crosstrich
    crosstrich Posts: 40
    Options
    but you have to think about more than just weight loss. diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and other more or less severe chronic illnesses are directly linked to super processed junk. i wonder if heart disease is more or less expensive than a bag of apples?

well you clearly know nothing about anything. My parents have both always eaten very healthy. My mum had cancer and my dad has heart disease... I think you will find that a lot of those diseases are hereditary and some are born with them.

OMG this is so frustrating. i didnt say that healthy people dont get sick. read what i wrote again and maybe you will understand what i was trying to say.

its annoying isn't it? Having someone not understanding what you are trying to say? That's how the majority of us on this topic are feeling while reading certain responses on here.
    but anyway 1) i read what you wrote perfectly 2) you said all these diseases and illnesses are directly related to "super processed junk". My argument is that they aren't. Cause if they were then healthy people wouldn't get them. Yes, super processed (whatever that is) food may not HELP but its not the cause.
    i am not saying that we should all go out and live off of mcdonalds or kfc or anything but i buy frozen processed turkey from Iceland because its £1.50 whereas a whole turkey (which my husband and i wouldn't eat all of) is about £15.00. The main argument from the majority here is that we have to live within our means

im not talking about you here. im specifically talking about fast food, which i guess i could have been more clear about.honestly, i was just really frustrated by the woman who listed how many bags of chips she could buy for the amount of groceries the other woman bought. haha. have you ever seen a toddler with a baby bottle full of soda? i see that EVERY DAY. that is what im talking about. that is not right.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    this is obviously going no where. eat whatever the heck you want. suck down gallons of mountain dew code red and sop up your dribble with volcano tacos. i dont give a dam. pay some greedy corporation millions of dollars to give you colon cancer and make you stink up buses with the aroma of hormonal ecoli filled factory poulty. hope that works out well for you.

Ohh that reminds me I have a can of code red in the back of my fridge, om nom. That liquid gold is hard to find in the uk.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    IT ISN'T!!!!!! Those people who say that need to look at the cost of fastfood and junk food and THEN compare it to their DR bills???? Who is saving money NOW ?????????????????
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Ohh that reminds me I have a can of code red in the back of my fridge, om nom. That liquid gold is hard to find in the uk.

what is it?
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    IT ISN'T!!!!!! Those people who say that need to look at the cost of fastfood and junk food and THEN compare it to their DR bills???? Who is saving money NOW ?????????????????

see. Again this is another thing that is country dependent.. We don't pay for our healthcare here in the uk
    i am in no way condoning living off of fast food but i just thought id throw that out there before someone else did.
  • crosstrich
    Options
    [/quote]

what is it?
    [/quote]

i think it is actually banned in the uk because the dye added to the soda is found to cause neurological damage.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

what is it?
    [/quote]

A flavour of Mountain Dew, you can't really get it over here, more of a states thing, I tend to put a few lbs on when I'm in the states everytime because of mountin dew whoops.

Edit: from above, banned due to brominism, despite no scientific data to bak the claim
  • crosstrich
    Options

see. Again this is another thing that is country dependent.. We don't pay for our healthcare here in the uk
    i am in no way condoning living off of fast food but i just thought id throw that out there before someone else did.

and i do owe you an apology, my intention was not to personally attack you or anyone else on here, sometimes i just get a little too *excited*. sorry about that.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Time is money, and if I make a little reference...

tumblr_mjufu7DCi21rwwihlo1_500.jpg
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options

and i do owe you an apology, my intention was not to personally attack you or anyone else on here, sometimes i just get a little too *excited*. sorry about that.

thank you for that :) it takes a lot to say that. I am the same. Im like a dog with a bone and i will rant so i too apologise.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.
    turtle4.gif

Rescued a slow-one in the road while riding my bike :heart:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

You are incredibly self-righteous, OP--for all of the reasons the pages of responses your post has garnered.

Grow a garden? Do you know how many of us live in apartments with no yard?

Do you know how many people on MFP may not even drive or have the option to shop at a produce stand or a farmer's market (or perhaps have never seen one in their lives)?

What about people with families? For all I know, you and your husband may be my parents' age and if you're like them, they eat half as much in their old age as they used to.

Honestly, your entire attitude and tone reeks of condescension and smugness. Bully for you if you can get veggies and fresh foods cheap. Brag about what a great shopper you are if you must, but don't lecture the rest of us on what we do to get by.

I hope the 8 pages of responses to your clueless attitude about what life is like for the rest of us gets the point across.

ADDENDUM: I just looked at your profile page. You are 23 years old. I wouldn't have wasted this much ink if I knew that you were so young and so inexperienced with life.

THIS

Agreeing - didn't check the profile before I commented either on page 3 or 4 somewhere back there.

OP would love you to come out to where I live - 1300-1400 for rent a month (in the average parts of town), plus bills, gas, etc. Let me know how much money you have left to buy groceries with. Also, I'm not working minimum wage, I'm an office manager and not making that much money, while supporting a boyfriend who's in school.

We make do with what we have. Sorry not everyone can be like you. Actually, I'm GLAD not everyone is like you.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    turtle soup, cheap and healthy!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

I've written out 3 replies to this and deleted all 3 because I can't be even reasonably civil in the face of this degree of blatant ignorance, condescension, and stupidity. The long and short comes to: 1) You've quite obviously never been significantly poor enough to have real food choices to make, yet you want to talk about their food choices like you have some idea of what you speak of. 2) You obviously have never fed a significant number of people or children and have no real concept of what is important in food choices first and foremost when on a limited budget 3) Gardens are a luxury. Deep freezers are a luxury. Time to do the **** you're talking about is a luxury. A huge number of people don't have those luxuries.

Frankly, your false moral superiority, condescending attitude, and desire to look down upon others based on your subjectively better food choices without any knowledge of their situation is sickening and deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule.
    Well said sir!
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    $30? Including meat? See, I don't believe in buying factory farmed meat, so I can easily spend $30 on meat for just one meal. Our milk is from a small local dairy, and I easily spend at least $20 a week on that. Farm fresh, local, pastured eggs? 3 dozen/week for $12. Then onto fruits and veggies: at least $50-60/week. So yeah, we eat pretty healthy, but it ain't cheap. And it depends on what you define as "healthy." Anything from a factory farm, to me, isn't healthy. GMO ingredients, which I'm pretty sure is in your bread, isn't healthy, so I have to spend more to buy things that *I* believe to be healthy, which includes organic flour so I can make my own breads.