STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

You are incredibly self-righteous, OP--for all of the reasons the pages of responses your post has garnered.

Grow a garden? Do you know how many of us live in apartments with no yard?

Do you know how many people on MFP may not even drive or have the option to shop at a produce stand or a farmer's market (or perhaps have never seen one in their lives)?

What about people with families? For all I know, you and your husband may be my parents' age and if you're like them, they eat half as much in their old age as they used to.

Honestly, your entire attitude and tone reeks of condescension and smugness. Bully for you if you can get veggies and fresh foods cheap. Brag about what a great shopper you are if you must, but don't lecture the rest of us on what we do to get by.

I hope the 8 pages of responses to your clueless attitude about what life is like for the rest of us gets the point across.

ADDENDUM: I just looked at your profile page. You are 23 years old. I wouldn't have wasted this much ink if I knew that you were so young and so inexperienced with life.

THIS
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I live in an agriculture state, so I agree (in this area) with the OP. It's way cheaper/more cost effective for me to buy healthy whole ingredients (produce, flour, butter, eggs) than to buy prepackaged meals. I've found, in my area, that the processed/prepackaged foods are a resource drain and I avoid them as a whole. I also shop 'smart,' so to speak. I shop the sales, I patronize the store that gives me an extra discount for being a college student, I stock up on things when they're cheap for future use. But I also have a reasonable budget for food, currently which helps.

HOWEVER...

I've been on the other side of the fence too. I lived in a non-agriculture state with VERY high cost of living. I had little to no money for food, I was single and pretty well ineligible for social assistance and I had no car to shop in the cheaper areas. I could only afford ramen and tuna fish. The occasional splurge on a hamburger was a once a month occurrence. So yes, eating healthier in that situation would have been much more expensive. But, I didn't wail about 'eating healthy' being expensive, my issue was that living AT ALL in that area was too expensive. If I had had cheaper rent, lower utilities, and freedom to shop around... eating healthy would have been feasible but certainly not less expensive than eating ramen every day.

The key to healthy eating is looking objectively at what challenges you face. That's not just cravings and habit, but funds, logistics and knowledge. You have to make the best of your situation... you have to learn to cook different recipes and understand the fundamentals of cooking so that you can improvise. You have to cut out potato chips and ice creams and anything else extraneous. If you have the ability to grow a garden, grow one. If you don't, grow some herbs in your windowsill... when I was on the ramen diet I would boil the noodles and add my own herbs... it was better for me than the packet it came with. There are always options (even on a ramen diet), you just have to be willing to look for them... and it's not always going to be easy.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on the subject matter....but I wanna know where you shop???? B/c $30 never last my fiance and me a week. Teach me!

Agree with this question. I do the shopping for my wife and I an $30 ? ? ? ? I wish.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    not only is healthy food expensive but breakfast is the most important meal of the day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Demographics will also dictate cost. If one saw "Weight of the Nation" and how buying a soft drink and chips at subsidized price vs a banana at a corner store in an inner city, then the statement can be refuted. Let's not be obtuse to think that income doesn't have a bearing on how families feed themselves on a daily basis and that cost comparison is the same from place to place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crosstrich
    crosstrich Posts: 40
    Options
    I love how some believe that everyone in the world drives or has access to farmer's markets.

I live in Montreal. I don't drive as my vision doesn't allow it. I went grocery shopping this weekend. It took me 4.5 hours round trip. I had to go to two places to get everything on my list. It cost me just over 100$ for ingredients for lunches and 16 dinner portions. I cook my own dinners for the most part.

There are two farmer's markets. It would take me as long to get to them. Forget about actual farms for me.

This is reality for many people and so I can understand. Thank god you don't need to eat only whole food to lose weight!

but you have to think about more than just weight loss. diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and other more or less severe chronic illnesses are directly linked to super processed junk. i wonder if heart disease is more or less expensive than a bag of apples?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I love how some believe that everyone in the world drives or has access to farmer's markets.

I live in Montreal. I don't drive as my vision doesn't allow it. I went grocery shopping this weekend. It took me 4.5 hours round trip. I had to go to two places to get everything on my list. It cost me just over 100$ for ingredients for lunches and 16 dinner portions. I cook my own dinners for the most part.

There are two farmer's markets. It would take me as long to get to them. Forget about actual farms for me.

This is reality for many people and so I can understand. Thank god you don't need to eat only whole food to lose weight!

but you have to think about more than just weight loss. diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and other more or less severe chronic illnesses are directly linked to super processed junk. i wonder if heart disease is more or less expensive than a bag of apples?
    And what you don't seem to realize it sometimes those considerations are luxuries people can't afford -- they're just trying to get through the week with a place to live and food -- any food -- to eat. On one hand it's great that so many people don't seem to have a freakin' clue about where some of us are coming from but on the other it's pretty infuriating to read posts like this.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Did we ever get the actual grocery list (what was purchased) for $30?

I'm pretty confident I could make 28000 calories with a decent macro mix, low degree of pre-processing, and vegetables for that amount. As in, meals that most would consider "healthy". But not how the OP is doing it.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Healthcare in my country is free,apples are not.
  • crosstrich
    Options

And what you don't seem to realize it sometimes those considerations are luxuries people can't afford -- they're just trying to get through the week with a place to live and food -- any food -- to eat. On one hand it's great that so many people don't seem to have a freakin' clue about where some of us are coming from but on the other it's pretty infuriating to read posts like this.

have you looked in to wellfare? seriously not a joke. access to food is a basic human right, and if you are literally starving because you cant afford to go to the grocery store, then you probably qualify for food assistance and should take advantage of it. i work for people w/ these issues. i can serve a meal for $2.13 that is completely from scratch and full of nutritous fruits and veggies. the people im talking about arent living on the streets starving to death (if they were starving to death i doubt they would be on a website dedicated to helping people lose weight). the people im talking about are eating mcdonalds instead of a more nutritious alternative arguing that they are only doing it because it's cheaper, which is not true in the short or long run. im saying that people who complain that nutritious food is more expensive are just making excuses and rationalizing their poor choices.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yawn.

I love how people who live in low cost areas (WI and the Midwest) are trying to school others on the cost of goods across the country. If I weren't so annoyed by your smugness I'd find your ignorance hilarious. Healthier foods do cost more on average than processed foods. I do not buy processed food and I would never defend buying them, but seriously stop. You look ridiculous. Just as gas prices vary state to state so do food costs.

I'd love to see you make that budget work in Manhattan since you're so adamant eating healthy is as cheap as you say for everyone. I'd bet my salary on the fact you'd be starving by the middle of the week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of healthy.

From my point of view, eating healthy means eating mostly whole foods, with some pasta, rice, breads and pre-made sauces and dressings. It doesn't mean organic or "clean."

So for me, buying potatoes is cheaper and healthier than buying a bag of potato chips. A bag of oranges is cheaper and healthier than a pack of Oreos. Buying a box of pasta and a jar of Ragu is cheaper and healthier than a box of Hamburger Helper. I can buy a loaf of fresh store-baked garlic bread that will last me through three or four meals for less than the cost of a can of Pillsbury dough. Not sure if that's really healthier - haven't compared the macros - but it's a lot tastier. I can make my own soooo much better burgers and fries at home for less than (or damn close to) the cost of dollar menu fast food items.

I check the circulars before I go shopping. I know what a good price is on the items I buy regularly, and I'll stock up when there's a good sale, and won't buy them when they're not. Sometimes they have buy one, get TWO free specials. Damn straight I'm getting all three! I buy meat in bulk and freeze what I won't use before it goes bad.
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options

well you clearly know nothing about anything. My parents have both always eaten very healthy. My mum had cancer and my dad has heart disease... I think you will find that a lot of those diseases are hereditary and some are born with them.
  • crosstrich
    Options

well you clearly know nothing about anything. My parents have both always eaten very healthy. My mum had cancer and my dad has heart disease... I think you will find that a lot of those diseases are hereditary and some are born with them.

OMG this is so frustrating. i didnt say that healthy people dont get sick. read what i wrote again and maybe you will understand what i was trying to say.
  • crosstrich
    Options
    It depends on your definition of healthy.

From my point of view, eating healthy means eating mostly whole foods, with some pasta, rice, breads and pre-made sauces and dressings. It doesn't mean organic or "clean."

So for me, buying potatoes is cheaper and healthier than buying a bag of potato chips. A bag of oranges is cheaper and healthier than a pack of Oreos. Buying a box of pasta and a jar of Ragu is cheaper and healthier than a box of Hamburger Helper. I can buy a loaf of fresh store-baked garlic bread that will last me through three or four meals for less than the cost of a can of Pillsbury dough. Not sure if that's really healthier - haven't compared the macros - but it's a lot tastier. I can make my own soooo much better burgers and fries at home for less than (or damn close to) the cost of dollar menu fast food items.

I check the circulars before I go shopping. I know what a good price is on the items I buy regularly, and I'll stock up when there's a good sale, and won't buy them when they're not. Sometimes they have buy one, get TWO free specials. Damn straight I'm getting all three! I buy meat in bulk and freeze what I won't use before it goes bad.

THIS ^^^
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

My healthy grandma died a horrible and painful death wasting away at 67. My junk food grandmother who eats nothing but crap is 110. So I tend to agree with you. Clearly you know something. :)
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options

OMG this is so frustrating. i didnt say that healthy people dont get sick. read what i wrote again and maybe you will understand what i was trying to say.

its annoying isn't it? Having someone not understanding what you are trying to say? That's how the majority of us on this topic are feeling while reading certain responses on here.
    but anyway 1) i read what you wrote perfectly 2) you said all these diseases and illnesses are directly related to "super processed junk". My argument is that they aren't. Cause if they were then healthy people wouldn't get them. Yes, super processed (whatever that is) food may not HELP but its not the cause.
    i am not saying that we should all go out and live off of mcdonalds or kfc or anything but i buy frozen processed turkey from Iceland because its £1.50 whereas a whole turkey (which my husband and i wouldn't eat all of) is about £15.00. The main argument from the majority here is that we have to live within our means
  • crosstrich
    Options
    this is obviously going no where. eat whatever the heck you want. suck down gallons of mountain dew code red and sop up your dribble with volcano tacos. i dont give a dam. pay some greedy corporation millions of dollars to give you colon cancer and make you stink up buses with the aroma of hormonal ecoli filled factory poulty. hope that works out well for you.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think I will go grow a garden, then I can eat for free. thanks for the idea...
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    this is obviously going no where. eat whatever the heck you want. suck down gallons of mountain dew code red and sop up your dribble with volcano tacos. i dont give a dam. pay some greedy corporation millions of dollars to give you colon cancer and make you stink up buses with the aroma of hormonal ecoli filled factory poulty. hope that works out well for you.

whoa. Where the hell do you get away with speakin to anybody like that. NONE of us said we ate like that and just FYI im from the UK so i haven't got a clue what any of those foods are. I buy frozen veg and not FRESH veg cause it lasts longer. Can i ask why you are on here? The idea is to support each other but you and the OP have basically ripped people who haven't got much money to pieces as well as being rather derogatory.