STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love how some believe that everyone in the world drives or has access to farmer's markets.

I live in Montreal. I don't drive as my vision doesn't allow it. I went grocery shopping this weekend. It took me 4.5 hours round trip. I had to go to two places to get everything on my list. It cost me just over 100$ for ingredients for lunches and 16 dinner portions. I cook my own dinners for the most part.

There are two farmer's markets. It would take me as long to get to them. Forget about actual farms for me.

This is reality for many people and so I can understand. Thank god you don't need to eat only whole food to lose weight!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What the OP has failed to account for is that prices on food, particularly produce, dairy, and some meats/seafood, can vary wildly in different locations. Processed packaged foods tend not to vary quite as much.
    This.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, like other's are saying... where do you live? $30.00 for two people, one week supply is unreal here in California! AND, sadly, YES it's true... Healthy Food is WAY more expensive then junk food. Especially buying Organic foods, or organic free range chicken/meat. Nevertheless, I don't think individuals should use it as an excuse to buy "junk food" instead. People should spend as much on food as they do on other important things in their life, after all this is OUR BODY and we should only want the best for it.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    So op, I take it you have researched food cost in different parts of the world (or maybe just the US)? If you haven't then this post was pointless. NOT EVERYBODY LIVES WHERE YOU LIVE! Why is that so hard for people to understand. In my area there is a big difference in the cost of fresh veggies compared to processed foods and no it is NOT cheaper.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wow...I need to learn to shop, now I am depressed, I spend about $125 a week. I shop at Aldi's watch sales, when I was eating whatever I spent about half what I do now. It's bad enough I come on here and see people losing 50lbs in 3 months, now you have more money AND are losing more weight :sad: :grumble:
  • saschka7
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week....

I calculated how much it would cost to get mac and cheese and chips and soda and crappy foods, I could get about the same amount of food, but a bag of chips goes so fast and it's not filling and makes you feel uber icky. I know that if I bought $30 of junk food, fast food, quick meals - I would not be able to sustain more than a few days between two people.

So, please stop with the excuses that eating healthy is too expensive. Grow a garden, pack some carrots, stay up an extra 10 mins to prepare a meal for the next day. Jeepers Creepers, quit complaining and research what groceries you have locally and what seasons good food comes in season/what freezes for winter when fruits and veggies go up in price.

You are incredibly self-righteous, OP--for all of the reasons the pages of responses your post has garnered.

Grow a garden? Do you know how many of us live in apartments with no yard?

Do you know how many people on MFP may not even drive or have the option to shop at a produce stand or a farmer's market (or perhaps have never seen one in their lives)?

What about people with families? For all I know, you and your husband may be my parents' age and if you're like them, they eat half as much in their old age as they used to.

Honestly, your entire attitude and tone reeks of condescension and smugness. Bully for you if you can get veggies and fresh foods cheap. Brag about what a great shopper you are if you must, but don't lecture the rest of us on what we do to get by.

I hope the 8 pages of responses to your clueless attitude about what life is like for the rest of us gets the point across.

ADDENDUM: I just looked at your profile page. You are 23 years old. I wouldn't have wasted this much ink if I knew that you were so young and so inexperienced with life.
  • Esmerayne
    Esmerayne Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I hate hearing that argument. I can pull out my receipts from recently and a year ago and show them the difference! Yes, organics and naturals are often more expensive than the regulars, but fresh produce and real food are WAY cheaper than the processed crap... *sigh*
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    Thank you!! I hate hearing that argument. I can pull out my receipts from recently and a year ago and show them the difference! Yes, organics and naturals are often more expensive than the regulars, but fresh produce and real food are WAY cheaper than the processed crap... *sigh*

EVERYBODY DOESN'T LIVE WHERE YOU LIVE! Venture out of you little world sometime, you might learn something about how life is for other people. Or you can can stay up there on your high horse with the OP.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just spent $26 dollars on 1/2 gallon skim milk, baby carrots, spinach, kale, 4 apples, 3 beats, 1 bunch of bananas and 1 loaf gluten free bread. I have planned this to last (hopefully) for 8 meals. So, 2.5 days, and that's not even including the meat and other protein we already have at home. Please tell me how you get $30 to last for a week, because if I could cut my grocery bill that much, I would hire a personal trainer.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    My food bill is a lot higher than it used to be, especially because I am trying to eat organic wherever possible. So for me, the higher price tag is truth. It is worth the investment in my health to me though.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I honestly just bought $30 worth of fresh veggies, whole grain bread, meats, milk and cheese. I know it will last my hubby and I at least an entire week

How much though? What did you get for all of that?

Honestly I can't remember the last time I spent $30 at the grocery store. I'm excited when my bill comes to less than $100 and then I look at my stuff and say "WTF. $100 for THAT?!"

ETA: When I do a weekly shop I can't walk out of there spending only $30. It's more like $130 to close to $200. It's just my husband and myself and I perimeter shop so good for you for being able to spend only $30 a week on groceries. Based on how expensive stuff is here I wouldn't be able to live off of that.
  • saschka7
    Options
    I'm not buying organic apples or $30 steaks. I'm making healthy choices of bags of apples and babies carrots over $4.00 bags of chips and cheese whiz. There are plenty of ways to have produce during the entire year by canning/freezing while the items are in season. I am just tired of people's excuses on why they make unhealthy choices.

OP, who says that you have to pay any attention to other people's choices? Just pay attention to your own, how about?
    When you eat the way you should as an adult, you don't need to eat a HUGE amount... I'm not talking about growing teens or families. I'm just saying that the normal suburb living young adult with potentially a spouse could afford to not eat chips and soda pop and instead eat a much more sustainable diet... a dinner for 2 adults at mcdonalds can be over $15... I can make 3 dinners with $15 that are delicious and nutritious. So sorry that ya'll would rather feed yourselves microwave dinners and juice boxes.

Wow, OP. You are really something. Oh that's right. You're a 23 year old know-it-all.
    So sorry that ya'll would rather feed yourselves microwave dinners and juice boxes.
    You can keep your self-righteous fake apology. We are not amused.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    For those who say healthy food is too expensive; is it more expensive then the doctor? Because you will spend more time being sick and at the doctor (and missing work/kids missing school) if you eat unhealthy then if you pay up front for healthy and eat better.

But ultimately it is your decision to make. We choose healthy up front and skip on doctors.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    For the inner-city crowd, we have whats called "food deserts," where produce is hard to find that isn't wilted and usually costs way more than in the suburbs. We purposely drive to the suburbs to shop, but most people downtown certainly cannot afford to do that, especially if they are on WIC or something that encourages buying "processed" and calorie-dense foods.

Plus, $30? Unless I'm living off carrots, I don't see how that's possible anywhere.
  • PatriciaSzakacsi1968
    Options
    well said
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    I feel like it's more expensive at the time but it goes a long way. We bought some fruit at costco yesterday which cost a little more but the quality is better, and we were able to freeze like 75% of everything meaning it's going to last a lot longer so the next two grocery trips should be a little cheaper but granted probably not a lot cheaper cuz that's just how life works haha. That's my opinion anyway. I also try to base our weekly meals off of whats on sale and what we have left in the cupboards. It works for about a month then we're out of almost everything and have to bulk shop again. I think there are win and lose items especially because they come in so many different verieties like organic vs. not and like regular rice vs. instant rice. You've just gotta be able to spent a little more time finding deals and preparing meals.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    For those who say healthy food is too expensive; is it more expensive then the doctor? Because you will spend more time being sick and at the doctor (and missing work/kids missing school) if you eat unhealthy then if you pay up front for healthy and eat better.

But ultimately it is your decision to make. We choose healthy up front and skip on doctors.

Ha miss work? Because I am sick lol. That would be awsome!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Good for you?

I think you missed the whole point. Understandable while up in your ivory tower.

The issue people are finding with the thread isn't that it is too expensive. Just the simple fact that it is more expensive. There is a difference. For the average person/couple $30 a week is completely unrealistic.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No one said too expensive, just more expensive. I drop 100+ a WEEK to feed my husband and I (more when we stock up on meat for the month), and I do it with minimal grumbling but it is NOT less expensive than the way we used to eat.

I thought my poor man was gonna cry the first week we switch up our eating habits. It was a 20-30 dollar increase, easy. We do it, it is what it is, no one is saying its not worth it. But its more expensive.