I have quinoa, but not sure what to do with it!

Options
2»

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    We just cook it and eat it as a side dish. My 5 year old would eat bowls and bowls of this.

It is nice turned into a salad with cucumber, tomatoes, onion and fresh herbs. Simply add an oil and vinegar dressing and it is delicious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    IMO quinoa is best in a salad. Just mix cooked, drained dried beans and chopped vegetables with cooked, cooled quinoa and dress with a vinaigrette. Easy, loaded with nutritents and keeps well for days in the fridge.

I've taken quinoa salad to several gatherings and always get requests for the recipe. Many ask for the recipe of my couscous salad because they don't know what quinoa is :laugh: But, at least they enjoyed it.
  • Willowjet
    Willowjet Posts: 12
    Options
    I just bought my first box of quinoa this week...going to try a quinoa fried rice recipe that I found on Pinterest...looks really good...check it out! :)
  • DRTChic
    DRTChic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try quinoa...bumping for later! Thanks.
  • nursek_2010
    nursek_2010 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    it's really good if you just boil it and added a little bit of light margarine and some finely chopped garlic :love:
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump for when i get home!
  • yoyoma3
    yoyoma3 Posts: 15
    Options
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    make chicken "fried rice" with it! add lots of veggies! or for a side i like sauteed spinach, onions, garlic and mix that in with the quinoa.
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I'm doing a cleanse that requires a bowl of quinoa with chopped prunes, ginger and nutmeg.

It is gross and I feel like a gnome.

Lol.. it tastes like some type of plant..

But I sucked it up and ate it.

Goodluck!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I find it soaks up flavours nicely, so I make a pot of it plain to add as a filler to all sorts of things. It's great cold in a lettuce salad, or mixed with diced cold vegetables and a little oil and vinegar. I also add to things like tomato soup to make it a lot more filling. Turkey and quinoa meatloaf. Endless possibilities of things to do with it.