daily calorie allowance is too high

Options

Replies

• LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started the thread, bc unfortunately I don't know what everyone else's caloric intake is or how their bodies react to eating above or below the recommendation.

check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    That will give you your BMR, TDEE and cut number. That might be helpful. MFP has me at 1620 and I eat back my exercise calories so I am usually around the 2000 mark.

28yo
    198lbs
    5'4"
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You're not taking any of the advice being given, so I don't know what else we can do for you. As people have already said, please calculate your BMR. Just so you know, your BMR (Basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body would burn if you were in a coma. This is the amount of calories your body needs every day just to keep you functioning. And I guarantee you it's more than 700 calories - it's probably double that or more.

Yes you might gain weight at first if you start eating more, because your metabolism is probably a little screwed up right now. The weight gain won't last and you CAN definitely start losing weight eating more than 1400 calories a day.

You didn't gain weight eating 700 calories a day. Obviously you used to eat more than that, and you can again. If you need to eat fast food or dessert or whatever to reach that goal, that's fine. A glass of eggnog has almost 500 calories. You're telling me you couldn't manage to cram down two glasses of eggnog tonight to reach the rest of your thousand calories? (I know it's not even eggnog season, that just sounds really good right now lol)
  • mathstudent
    Options
    [I think you should watch this video. He's a bodybuilder, but he coaches bikini models. He has a phd in nutrition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP...you seriously need to look up BMR and understand that you need more calories than that just for proper organ function if you slept all day and didn't move a muscle.

Go seek professional, medical help please. When people talk of "starving" it has nothing to do with whether or not you feel hungry or not. Starving is having inadequate nutrition...you cannot get proper nutrition eating 700 calories per day...you cannot get all of your vitamins and minerals and most definitely cannot get your requisite protein or essential fats with that low of calories.

Go get help...you need it.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi there I've been on the site for a few weeks and have questioned why my calories are set at the level they are, and even went to search for a second opinion... There are plenty of apps and groups out there offering advice, there problem is you need to determine which is going to be beneficial to you in the long term... Yes if you drop your calorie intake as low as 700 calories a day you will most likely lose the weight, but you are also going to be damaging your body as well. 1200 calories is the minimum recommendation that you should be aiming for....In doing so you will be eating enough to fuel your body and ensure you are taking in the nutrients and vitamins your body needs to survive..

If you find it difficult to eat 1200 calories a day, then play around with different foods and check out there values, some foods like nuts, bananas and dairy products are quite high in calories, however may help you increase your daily intake if your struggling. Hope this helps :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I said I feel miserable eating amounts close to the 1400 recommended of MFP. I've just been in the habit recently of eating 700-800/day and I feel good. Right now It's 5pm and I've had 320 calories and I feel fine. I can't imagine eating a 1000 calorie dinner and feeling like a million bucks tonight.

There are a lot of ways to boost your intake without adding a large amount of food to your diet. Add cheeses, dairy, Greek yogurt, avocado, eggs, nuts and seeds, nut butters, olive oil or coconut oil, dark chocolate, etc. to your daily routine. Or consider drinking some of your calories. Protein shakes and smoothies, or even fruit juices add calories without filling you up. It's really not too difficult to boost your calories by a few hundred per meal with a little planning.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you are getting snotty remarks...just understand that they just feel that the thought of 700/day is a very bad idea.

It doesn't matter if you are sedentary, that is taken into account when you build your goals. It estimates that if you are sedentary and your sex/age/height/weight, you are burning ___ cals a day by breathing. To lose a pound, you have to come in 500 cals short of that. If you exercise, then you can eat more. You don't want your NET calories to be too low or it causes your body to eat your muscles instead. The heavier you are, the lower your net can be w/o too much damage, but it will catch up at some point. You want to save your muscles because they burn calories at rest.

Anyways...so yes, 700 net calories are too few. If you feel better after eating a 300 cal meal, then eat 4-6 small meals, based on how much you exercise. Personally, if I ate below 1000 NET calories, then I would always stall or gain weight. Once I bumped back up to 1300 NET cals, then I would lose again. Your body is built to survive...don't make it think it needs to kick in any instincts....
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're not taking any of the advice being given, so I don't know what else we can do for you.

Here here
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest first meeting with your doctor. Then a therapist. 700-800 calories is no where near enough for a grown adult.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I said I feel miserable eating amounts close to the 1400 recommended of MFP. I've just been in the habit recently of eating 700-800/day and I feel good. Right now It's 5pm and I've had 320 calories and I feel fine. I can't imagine eating a 1000 calorie dinner and feeling like a million bucks tonight.

(Don't eat a bunch just to meet your goals)
    Also, don't know your age and/or experience, but make sure that the amount of calories that drop in the diary is realistic. I have added a main portion of a meal one time and didn't realize that it said that it was 10 calories, instead of the approximate 500 calories. Don't trust what the MFP app or exercise machines say that you are burning--get a good heart rate monitor.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough (what the website suggests) your body will store the nutrients you're not getting by eating that low of a calorie intake, and therefore, you WON'T lose weight. On top of that, in the long haul you'll start to feel like crap.

Sorry, but you're the one who posted a public post asking for people's advice on a question that seems like anyone with 30% of common sense can answer. Don't get butt hurt if you don't like the results.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options

(Don't eat a bunch just to meet your goals)
    Also, don't know your age and/or experience, but make sure that the amount of calories that drop in the diary is realistic. I have added a main portion of a meal one time and didn't realize that it said that it was 10 calories, instead of the approximate 500 calories. Don't trust what the MFP app or exercise machines say that you are burning--get a good heart rate monitor.

This.
    It's recommended that you eat six times a day, three being your 'large meals' and the rest being snack times. That should be plenty enough to reach your daily calorie goal.
  • MissBN
    MissBN Posts: 3
    Options
    Completely agree!

well that's a little judgmental isn't it. Starvation mode doesn't occur until after several days of eating next to nothing. 700 calories is far from next to nothing. It's not like I'm sitting around all day with a hungry belly with the intent of eating less than a certain amount. I eat when I'm hungry. Make no mistake. Thanks for your sarcasm it's appreciated. I'm glad there's people like you out there to discourage questions from people like me.
    [/quote]
  • PatriciaSzakacsi1968
    Options
    they suggested i eat 1690 a day, i lowered it to 1500 to maintain my weight, because thats what im used to and what works for me, anything below 1200 is extreme. are you losing weight?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not tiny. I'm 5'6", 172, size 12. I do sit for 10 hours/day with my job though. I do feel miserable when I eat anything close the 1400.

I am of similar build to you (5'5" 181 lbs, size 14/16 and sit all day at a desk job). My only form of activity is exercise and I do that because I want to eat more food. MFP has me at 1380 and I eat back my exercises cals so I eat around 1700-1900 cals a day.

I have lost 15 lbs in 12 weeks by eating more calories and not depriving myself of the stuff I love.

You need to eat more and you may gain initially because your body needs to adjust. Get a little more in you and you wll be surprised at how much you lose when eating more food.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like you've been eating so few calories for such a long time that your hormones are out of whack, causing your metabolism to slow. You need to eat more calories. 700 calories a day is not even enough for a 5' 6" person no matter how sedentary. If you were in a coma, doctors would give you more than 2X that number of calories intraveneously just to keep your heart beating and your lungs going.

If the idea of eating 1400 calories "makes you feel miserable" there are several different things that could be going on:

1. You're eating low-density bulky foods that fill you up. I.e., salads, fruit.
    2. After eating so little for a long time, your stomach has shrunk to an unhealthy size.

For both of these problems, eat more calorie dense foods. Put some peanut butter on your apple (it's tasty! and very healthful!). Add an avocado to your salad, maybe some nuts too (I like sunflower seeds on a salad). If you're not actually lactose intolerant, drink milk (lowfat if you wish), eat some cheese once in a while.

You can also eat more times during the day, include some snacks between meals. Gradually increase by 100 calories a day (more if you can). Especially if your stomach has shrunk, this will correct itself very quickly (like, 2-3 weeks).

3. It's very possible that you're just not accurately measuring your calorie intake, and in fact you're already eating much more than you think. It's very easy to get portion sizes wrong. Or if you're logging "in your head" or on scratch paper instead of in a permanent spreadsheet or somewhere like MFP, it's also real easy to introduce rounding errors to your calculations. Those rounding errors ADD UP, especially when your calories are already low. Get a food scale and weigh servings of everything (and log it all) for a week or so just to make sure you're getting an accurate read.

4. Please don't take this as an accusation, but as advice coming from a place of concern for you: you should consider the possibility that you may have an eating disorder. Maybe you don't have one, great! Maybe you do. If you're logging your food accurately and you really are eating less than 1000 calories a day and feel "miserable" when you eat more than that, you can't rule it out without a professional opinion. Take your accurate food log with you when you speak to your doctor. You have to be prepared to get real, otherwise you're beyond anyone's help in achieving your goals.

You'll hear a lot of people here on MFP have experience with their body not responding to weight loss attempts until they increased their calories. If your calorie intake is less than say, 70% of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) for an extended period of time, you will damage your metabolism (mostly due to hormonal changes) and your body won't respond predictably to calorie deficits, i.e., you can eat too little and not lose, or even actually gain weight.
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat , I usually eat around 800 cals. a day anymore and I gain ...plus I swim everyday , 5 months and counting...my diary is open.. 5' 9 male 57
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I started the thread, bc unfortunately I don't know what everyone else's caloric intake is or how their bodies react to eating above or below the recommendation.

Here's mine:

I'm female, 28 yr, 5'7", 172 lb, work a sedentary job around 9-10 hours/day. I work out daily for a minimum of half an hour, up to two hours.

I am eating 1500-1800 calories a day, depending on my exercise. And I am still losing around a pound a week. I started in February with losing 2 pounds/week, before I came here and adjusted things. Unfortunately, although this year I lost around 17% of my body weight, I recently had it tested and only 6-7% was fat. The rest was my own lean mass.

Don't set your goals too fast or too low. Lose slow and easy and you'll actually kick FAT, not other (healthy) sources of weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat , I usually eat around 800 cals. a day anymore and I gain ...plus I swim everyday , 5 months and counting...my diary is open.. 5' 9 male 57

Your diary appears to be closed. And I would ask the same question I asked above. Have you ever given your body time to adjust when you increase your calories or does the increase on the scale from water retention and glycogen storage scare you back down below 800 calories right away?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is in now way to high. In fact even that amount is fairly low. It really is better to add some activity so you can eat more. The more you can eat the more likely you will hit the nutrients you need. Unless you eat very very poorly;