Jenny McCarthy on 'The View'

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they sure supported you by telling me off. Someday I'll attain that level of compassion. :laugh:

I don't care what anyone thinks (obviously), not even you. No man alive will ever tell me something is a certain way and there's nothing I can do. That's not in a human's DNA. So I will not back down from vaccines, autism, or Jenny McCarthy's chest. Each day I wake up is a day with infinite potential. Miracles are common in my world. I hope someday you put on these Ray-Bans too and see the human potential through these lens. You're the same person as me after all.

I'm not suggesting you're high...but are you?

S.F....there's a better than average chance.

Hey! :angry:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all for the support. :smile:

PS You ARE a classy lady. You took the high road and it was very dignified. You have every right to call the tool a tool, but you didnt.

Walk a day in another man's shoes...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My point was more that I think it's dangerous to give her a soap box... I understand adjusting immunization schedules/picking certain ones you don't want administered. But her "blaming" her child's autism on vaccines is silly, and her preaching it to the world is dangerous. Next thing you know, polio and smallpox are back in style.

She isnt the only person out there advocating this, there are groups of people who truly do believe that the vaccinations cause autism. Any parent should do their research and decide for their child what they feel is best. My children are vaccinated, so I am not saying I agree with her, just saying that her personal stance on ONE issue isnt likely to be the topic of each episode they film, so who really cares about her feelings on this ONE issue???

There are flat Earthers out there too but it doesn't make their opinions any less ludicrous, and I'm sorry but if she can still hold these positions in face of the incredible evidence against her "belief" (for want of a better word), then her brain isn't worth the food to feed it. She's doing great harm by fear mongering.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate vaccination fear mongering.

The age moat child get their vaccinations just happens to be the same age autism typically shows up. Add how similar mercury poisoning is to autism and you have full blown paranoia.

The bottom line is we really just don't know what causes it.

It's organic produce.

3ee81b91-3513-445e-afbd-cc2fb9854543_zps1f460deb.jpg
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have never been vaccinated and I've made it to 24 years old without a problem...

Oh that's great. So your argument is that because you haven't gotten sick that no one else needs to worry? You also haven't died in a serious automobile accident, so i guess no one needs to wear a seat-belt either. It's good that we can use your health to evaluate everyone else's risk.

Look facetiousness aside that's not how evidence works. Your one experience is an anecdote. It has no value for predicted effects on larger populations.

You obviously know these diseases exist and effect people because as you yourself said later you've seen it first hand. The fact that you are not one of the victims is luck not because they are not dangerous.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

The age moat child get their vaccinations just happens to be the same age autism typically shows up. Add how similar mercury poisoning is to autism and you have full blown paranoia.

It's organic produce.

We need our daily intake of pesticides!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    My point was more that I think it's dangerous to give her a soap box... I understand adjusting immunization schedules/picking certain ones you don't want administered. But her "blaming" her child's autism on vaccines is silly, and her preaching it to the world is dangerous. Next thing you know, polio and smallpox are back in style.

She isnt the only person out there advocating this, there are groups of people who truly do believe that the vaccinations cause autism. Any parent should do their research and decide for their child what they feel is best. My children are vaccinated, so I am not saying I agree with her, just saying that her personal stance on ONE issue isnt likely to be the topic of each episode they film, so who really cares about her feelings on this ONE issue???

There are flat Earthers out there too but it doesn't make their opinions any less ludicrous, and I'm sorry but if she can still hold these positions in face of the incredible evidence against her "belief" (for want of a better word), then her brain isn't worth the food to feed it. She's doing great harm by fear mongering.
    This, exactly. Thank you for saying it for me. :)

Also, it's not JUST her view on vaccination... she's kind of a kook in general, if you haven't noticed.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

It's organic produce.

We need our daily intake of pesticides!

Organic doesn't mean pesticides aren't used. In fact there are a TON of them used. People have a very distorted view on what the marketing term "Organic" means.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998983-misconceptions-of-organic-food-s
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

This, exactly. Thank you for saying it for me. :)

Also, it's not JUST her view on vaccination... she's kind of a kook in general, if you haven't noticed.

Yes! She has made many other claims about what causes autism. Parents believe her, because after all she has written books and you can read articles in magazines that support her, her opinions become more popular, and parent's search for understanding, help and acceptance only gets murkier.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It's organic produce.

I knew it!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The corner stone paper for the whole vacinations cause autism was retracted quite a long time ago.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/02/lancet_wakefield_autism_mmr_au.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, autism doesn't have a direct cause. It is what occurs to children when certain neural pathways fail to form in the brain during the developmental phases in infancy. Pretty much anything that disrupts this process can be the cause of autism. This can be an internal or an external force. Since autism occurs with a wide-range and varying degree of symptoms, it is not always easily diagnosed, and therefore, identifying whatever force disrupted the child's normal development in infancy is nearly impossible.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    And I was going to say this in all scarcasm regarding Jenny being a co-host

Jenny McCarthy on "The View" = Polo & Autisim Epidemic

Oh Yes.... That makes sense... Just put her on the show, and the entire earth will be without vacinations, and get sick and die. Oh yeah, that makes sense... Thats exactly what would happen... I mean all they ever talk about on "The View" is the raising of children and vacinations riiiiight??
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this.

The issue with vaccinations are that they are only effective in a herd, with everyone who can participating. There are people for whom it won't take. There are adults and children who are medically fragile and can't be vaccinated due to the risk. Babies cannot get the smallpox vaccine until they are older (I believe 1 is the age). If any of those people are exposed to one of those diseases because someone chose not to vaccinate, it could be life threatening. This has happened. Babies have gotten smallpox from people who were not vaccinated. The more people vaccinated, the less the risk of it happening. There have been outbreaks as a direct result of people not vaccinating their children. Jenny McCarthy has every right to speak her mind (even when it's wrong), but there have been direct and severe consequences as a result of her vandetta against vaccinations. Even now, when Wakefield (the former doctor who penned the fraudulent studies making supposed links between autism and vaccines) has been debunked, stripped of licenses, and faced fraud allegations, there are still people who believe that there is a link and are risking not only their own children, but other children as well. Jenny McCarthy has played a huge role in it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Is there a vaccination for stupid?
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I don't tend to get my medical (or any other) advice from tv personalities. She's kind of funny. I'm guessing that's why she got the job.

Exactly this!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if ever there was a thread to post the crazy vs. hot scale, this one is it.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    oh and she already has a sopabox, she had her own talk show for a while, had a radio show, has numerous books, and a couple websites. She's not the only person in the world that believes immunizations lead to autism and she won't be the last, we can't censor them all. Besides if you plan your childs medical care based on a daytime talk show, you have bigger problems.

This should have been /thread. I have never taken medical advice from a celebrity. Nor fashion advice, if I was going to listen to anyone it would be my youngest daughter, because she knows me and fashion is so personal to the person wearing the clothes. If I was going to take advice from a tv star/movie star it would be on acting.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    if ever there was a thread to post the crazy vs. hot scale, this one is it.

himymcs.jpg
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech. Just cause she spouts it don't mean you have to agree.

I think Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil are the biggest idiots in the medical profession, doesn't mean they should be shut down. Same for Rush Limbaugh and 75% of the evangelical preachers. Everyone says stuff someone isn't going to agree with.

Edited to add: I do find it slight amusing that some people actually think there could be a polio epidemic because of the rantings of a "B" celebrity. Now who is drinking the Koolaid?
This discussion has been closed.