Can you lose weight by eating Lean Cuisines?

Options
I know they're not healthy, but have people here lost weight by eating them? They're just easy to make when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Plus, the spaghetti and meatballs isn't that bad and it's only 270 calories!

so, is it okay if I eat them?

(and i realize losing weight is all about the caloric deficit, but this leads me to believe WHAT you eat doesn't actually matter if lean cuisines are okay.. i don't know, weight loss confuses me to no end.)

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You may gain some temporary water weight from the extra sodium, but provided you have a calorie deficit everyday, you'll lose weight.

Technically it doesn't matter what you eat to lose weight, but it will REALLY affect how you feel.

I can budget alcohol in my calories, but I tell you what, I don't ever feel like hitting the gym the next day when I drink.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally! They are high in sodium, but if you only have one for dinner a couple nights a week, then it shouldn't be a problem!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating cheese puffs everyday if you maintain a caloric deficit. My thoughts on lean cuisines and others, is you don't really learn lifestyle changes. Like how to prepare healthy delicious foods, how to make smart choices. They are a quick fix to lower caloric intake. That said, I keep a few in my freezer at all times, for emergencies. Probably twice a month.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    This is not the best way to lose weight, all the sodium is not good for you. I did lose most of my weight eating these dinners, I lost 35 lbs this way. I hate one for dinner every night. Since then I decided to eat more healthy. Besides I got tired of frozen dinners. Also my bood pressure was up a little at the dr office so I decided to eat more fish,turkey,chicken and vegetables. I do well with anything that helps with portion control, small bag of chips occasionally.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I know they're not healthy, but have people here lost weight by eating them? They're just easy to make when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Plus, the spaghetti and meatballs isn't that bad and it's only 270 calories!

so, is it okay if I eat them?

(and i realize losing weight is all about the caloric deficit, but this leads me to believe WHAT you eat doesn't actually matter if lean cuisines are okay.. i don't know, weight loss confuses me to no end.)

If you like them, you can certainly lose weight eating them. Just keep in mind they do tend to have a lot of sodium so if you're sensitive to it there might be some water retention. I like the spring roll ones.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating cheese puffs everyday if you maintain a caloric deficit. My thoughts on lean cuisines and others, is you don't really learn lifestyle changes. Like how to prepare healthy delicious foods, how to make smart choices. They are a quick fix to lower caloric intake. That said, I keep a few in my freezer at all times, for emergencies. Probably twice a month.

This. There's a difference between losing weight and losing weight in a healthy way. I eat them sometimes for lunch because they're fast and easy and my lunch is inhaled at my desk most days. It's a better alternative than grabbing fast food.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would never DEPEND on them for weight loss, but if once in a while you don't have the time to cook a fresh healthy meal and need something quick and easy, I would pick Lean Cuisine over most other types of "fast meals".

If you know in advance when you won't have time to cook a meal, maybe make some extra dinner a few nights before and freeze the leftovers so you have your own ready-in-five-minutes meal, but healthier because its homemade!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My fave is the chicken carbonara (sp?) with asparagus. Mmmmm.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating cheese puffs everyday if you maintain a caloric deficit. My thoughts on lean cuisines and others, is you don't really learn lifestyle changes. Like how to prepare healthy delicious foods, how to make smart choices. They are a quick fix to lower caloric intake.

I agree with this. I lost around 10 lb one year when I swapped out Lean Cuisine's Chicken Enchilada Suiza for my "normal" lunches of a McDonald's double cheeseburger, but that's not saying much.

I don't eat them at all now, because I find there are other equally tasty options that I can make just as quickly as nuking a Lean Cuisine...but I also don't think it is bad or wrong to have them in moderation!
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat one every weekday, adding approx 3 oz of grilled chicken. I watch my sodium and TRY to drink my water. You will live, AND you will lose weight. :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yes. I rarely eat them, but I do keep some of there sandwiches, for some reason I enjoy, when I am in a bind for time. As others have said, not the best long term solution because once you get sick of them what do you fall back on?

ETA: Best advice I can give OP. Its all about calories. Control those those and you will lose weight. Then, as you eat different foods, take not of how they effect you. Are you hungry sooner, tired, etc. Be more aware of how different stuff affects you and you will start naturally moving towards certain choices. Awareness is important.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I bring Lean Pockets and fresh veggies to work ( 2nd shift RN ).

I find them filling and satisfying.

I have lost and maintain weight eating them.

The grilled chicken with broccoli has 320mg of sodium which isn't outrageously high and is only 260 calories.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I like to have bigger meals. That being said, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll get a Lean Cuisine steamer or a Healthy Choice steamer and whip up a side of veggies sometimes. I've had no problems.

It's not what you eat. It's the caloric deficit. Are you creating a moderate deficit? Good. You'll lose weight.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As long as you remain in a deficit, you can eat twinkies and lose weight. That said, you will be miserable and hungry all the time. Certain foods (whole real food) make it easier to lose weight due to how they satiate you. Others processed food like lean cuisine make it harder for the opposite reason.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Of course they are only like 300 cals each.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time and I am losing weight. I love the Lean Cuisine chipotle spring rolls. Good God, they are so yummy. Only 200 calories. Yes, the sodium in those things are ridiculous and terrifying, but they are good in a bind every once in a while. Only problem is some meals, particularly the pastas, leaving me feeling like I haven't eaten anything at all and I am absolutely staaarving afterwards. It's torturous. Everyone is different, though.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So you know how frozen meals always are dreached in extra sauce? (This is likely where all your sodium is). What I do is I take steamed veggies and add them to my lean cuisine/healthy choice/smart ones meals. For an extra 30 calories I double the size of the meal. My favorites to add are asparagus, green beans, and broccoli. All that fiber makes the meal super filling. Plus the veggies taste really good mixed in with all the extra sauce :)
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So you know how frozen meals always are drenched in extra sauce? (This is likely where all your sodium is). What I do is I take steamed veggies and add them to my lean cuisine/healthy choice/smart ones meals. For an extra 30 calories I double the size of the meal. My favorites to add are asparagus, green beans, and broccoli. All that fiber makes the meal super filling. Plus the veggies taste really good mixed in with all the extra sauce :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    sure...things like that are a useful tool...OCCASIONALLY. Better to eat real, fresh food than processed frozen stuff, but it won't hurt you to use them on busy days or whatever. I've never been impressed with the flavor of most of them. (although the Lean Cuisine mushroom pizza isn't bad at all.....)
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can and I did. They are easy and I actually enjoy them. And the ones I eat usually have no more sodium than a cup of cottage cheese.