So, is housework considered exercise or is it not?

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    It is my understanding that burning calories with 'exercise' requires getting your heart rate up. It is therefore very personal and depends on your current fitness level.

Before I started mfp, I had become very lazy and did barely any exercise AT ALL. So as a beginner I listed myself as 'sedentary' and claimed light housework as exercise because at first it actually raised my heart rate and made me sweat just a little! I only claimed half the time I ever spent doing housework.

After the first month housework a few times a week didn't get my heart rate up anymore so I stopped claiming it as exercise. I started using my treadmill and doing work out videos on my Wii to get my heart rate up.

These are my thoughts on the subject. Some people may agree. Some may not.

Totally agree!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    I have seen somebody log 1900 (yes nineteen hundred) calories per day for housework, they then added this to their exercise diary and proceeded to eat all calories back, they did this day in, day out. They lost 2lbs in the year.

I am going to do two hours worth of ironing shortly, will I log it? No, I bloody will not, standing there moving my arm backwards and forwards and walking to and from the hook to hang the clothes up does not constitute exercise to me, it is just doing day to day stuff.

1900 for housework is an obscene amount and they're just kidding themselves. However, that does not mean it doesn't burn more than sitting down. And I stand by my original premise. If you've entered your activity level as sedentary, then 2 hours of ironing is more activity than you would get in 2 hours of sitting down. Do log it, don't log it, I don't care. Exercise or not, I don't care.

Housework burns calories, not a lot, but it does, just like standing and walking. Even, standing UP burns calories. I wouldn't log every time I did it, but if stood up and sat down continuously for an hour, then hell yes I would log it.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Window washing, carpet cleaning, gutter cleaning, mowing the lawn - yes

Vacuuming, loading the dishwasher, folding clothes, dusting - no
  • jetlag
    Oooh, little miss confrontational!
    I only really log "housework friday" when I lift and wash all the rugs, hoover and mop all the floors, change the bedding, clean the bathroom from top to bottom and so on. I don't log doing the daily dishes or picking up the dog toys. I would take with a pinch of salt what MFP says about the calorie burn, though. I log about half the hours that I actually do.

I don't log "ironing" because a) I don't do ironing and b) I already told you that I log "hours" of housework, not independent activities, so you lose points for not reading my post.

On housework friday, I clean off and on all day, but take breaks so probably get about 4 hours of proper work in. I will log 1 or 1.5 because MFP notoriously overestimates. So, that would give me 212 calories an hour. Considering that my heart rate monitor says I get 353 for an hour of walking, I would say that that is a fair number.

Now, it's time for YOU to do some thinking and answer a question. Do you honestly think that standing up and ironing for 30 minutes doesn't burn more calories than sitting down watching the telly? Can you hand on heart tell me that vacuuming for 10 minutes does not burn more calories than sitting down?

Have you read about NEAT or are you just in the mood to be contrary?

Housework may not be "exercise" but it burns calories, just like everything else.

I have just explained about the ironing and I do not consider fitting to log everything I do when moving about, unless I want to fool myself that is.

Ironing burns 150 calories per hour, HOWEVER, take off 80 calories - why take off 80 calories you may ask - because 80 calories are what I would burn anyway sitting about.

Don't get sarky with me please, I am putting my opinion forward, you don't like it, perhaps that is because I have hit a nerve. I do not need to ask your permission to write my own opinion and I certainly am not obliged to agree with yours.

Our posts are crossing over, obviously. I do get sarky when people take a tone with me, sorry. Try not to be so confrontational if you don't want people to bite.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member
    I have seen somebody log 1900 (yes nineteen hundred) calories per day for housework, they then added this to their exercise diary and proceeded to eat all calories back, they did this day in, day out. They lost 2lbs in the year.

I am going to do two hours worth of ironing shortly, will I log it? No, I bloody will not, standing there moving my arm backwards and forwards and walking to and from the hook to hang the clothes up does not constitute exercise to me, it is just doing day to day stuff.

1900 for housework is an obscene amount and they're just kidding themselves. However, that does not mean it doesn't burn more than sitting down. And I stand by my original premise. If you've entered your activity level as sedentary, then 2 hours of ironing is more activity than you would get in 2 hours of sitting down. Do log it, don't log it, I don't care. Exercise or not, I don't care.

Housework burns calories, not a lot, but it does, just like standing and walking. Even, standing UP burns calories. I wouldn't log every time I did it, but if stood up and sat down continuously for an hour, then hell yes I would log it.

Absolutely they were kidding themselves, it was a damn shame actually, because the person I am talking about worked really hard to try and get her weight down, but it was never going to happen because of what she was logging.

I am still not gonna log it though :angry: pmsl I am not really angry :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member

Our posts are crossing over, obviously. I do get sarky when people take a tone with me, sorry. Try not to be so confrontational if you don't want people to bite.

:laugh: don't apologise, there is no need, I do that ALL the time on these forums, it gets me into all sorts of trouble, but 99% of the time it is because posts cross as you just said.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jetlag

Absolutely they were kidding themselves, it was a damn shame actually, because the person I am talking about worked really hard to try and get her weight down, but it was never going to happen because of what she was logging.

I am still not gonna log it though :angry: pmsl I am not really angry :flowerforyou:

Lol well, then it's free calories to build a buffer :smile: I think the biggest problem with losing weight for some is that it's too easy to lie to yourself and not log everything you eat or overlog your activity, and that's a perfect example of it.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Only count it if I'm hoovering, dusting, scrubbing walls and floors and washing windows top to bottom. We have a 3 storey house so that's a lot of work!
    Just little bits here and there, no because I do it all the time!
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    There are metabolic equivency tables for almost all activities, MET. Cancer.gov is one of the best sites I have found for METs. I ran a search for housework and found the following METs:

Table 3: Summary MET values for most Major Categories in ATUS (Occupation and Traveling excepted) Major Category General Category Specific Category Summary MET value
    02 Household Activities 01 Housework 01 Interior Cleaning 3.01
    02 Household Activities 01 Housework 02 Laundry 2.07
    02 Household Activities 01 Housework 03 Sewing, repairing, and maintaining textiles 1.50
    02 Household Activities 01 Housework 04 Storing interior HH items, including food 3.39
    02 Household Activities 01 Housework 99 Housework, n.e.c. 2.51
    04 Caring for and Helping nonHH Members 05 Helping nonHH Adults 01 Housework, cooking, and shopping assistance for nonhh adults 2.38

METs are based on a person having a resting oxygen intake of 3.5ml per minute. People doing these activites have their oxygen intake monitored (actually how much cardon dioxide they expel) and the MET is essentially a multiplier for oxygen consumption. The equation is pretty simple:

Minutes spent in an activity X {(MET value X 3.5 [oxygen constant] X weight [kilograms])/200}

To get kilograms divide pounds by 2.2. A person weighing 220 pounds would be 100 kilos and a person weighing 110 pounds would be 50 kilos.

You can search for various activites at Cancer.gov using this page:

http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/tools/atus-met/met.php?major[]=02&keywords=&metval_min=&metval_max=#search_tables
  • 150tif
    150tif Posts: 22 Member
    No, I don't count it. I consider it bonus points, like walking around the office more in a day than normal. Any way to keep moving burns calories, but it all doesn't count as a workout. When I scrub my tub once a month, I count that because I'm sore the next day (we have hard water so I REALLY have to get in there and scrub hard) and I'm sweating more than a normal workout. I wouldn't count "regular" housework such as dusting, vacuuming, laundry, etc.

Good luck!

Just to add to what I'd written, even the days I scrub my tub, its not my workout for the day. I still get up and move like TAEBO or go for a walk. Exercise is NEVER considered my workout for the day.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Nope. I don't count house work, playing at the park with my kids, or anything like that. I only count intentional exercise.

this
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    Sure, if while wearing your heart rate monitor you maintained your heart rate at 70% of higher for at least 20 minutes, otherwise no.:huh:
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    I've cleaned very intensely (sweating almost all the time) for about six hours, and I went ahead and logged 45 minutes of it. I don't want to cheat myself by logging every little thing, but at the same time, that was more intense than any workout I do.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Nope, part of your daily activity.
  • Just in case you weren't aware of this feature, when you go to the message boards section, there is a button called search and you can type in a keyword/phrase (ex: cleaning exercise) and you can see the threads that have already been created on the topic. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1041514-lots-of-anti-clean-eating-sentiment-on-the-boards-today?hl=cleaning#posts-15986965

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/702245-house-cleaning-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise#posts-10298910

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032915-does-house-cleaning-count-as-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=1#posts-15843048

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032915-does-house-cleaning-count-as-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=2#posts-15905777

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1033292-does-house-work-count-as-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise#posts-15848154

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1028251-legit-question-housework-exercise-or-no?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=6#posts-15781174

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025696-confused-about-what-counts-as-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise#posts-15744129

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025992-house-work-cleaning?hl=cleaning+exercise#posts-15736716

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/319326-does-grocery-shopping-count-as-exercise?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=4#posts-15722407

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/966255-do-you-count-house-yard-work-or-shopping-as-exercising?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=6#posts-15685009

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1020622-logging-cleaning?hl=cleaning+exercise&page=2#posts-15646395

Message boards are supposed to be social. Searching takes the fun out of them.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    No. :noway:
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    I happen to be in such sad shape that housework is exercise for me and I log it if I feel the duration is long enough to matter. This has worked for me so far.
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    How much or if you sweat does not equate to a workout. Your body is hot and is trying to cool itself. If you clean a house where the temperature is 80 degrees you will sweat more than a house where the tempt is 68. To burn more calories your muscles have to work harder, your heart rate has to beat faster and your breathing has to pick up. It's like if you go into a sauna and sit, you sweat a but ton, but you did nothing. You will lose weight on the scale, but as soon as you drink water, the weight comes back.

The extra moving you did while cleaning was a nice little help but it does not constitute a workout.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Just in case you weren't aware of this feature, when you go to the message boards section, there is a button called search and you can type in a keyword/phrase (ex: cleaning exercise) and you can see the threads that have already been created on the topic. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I know you weren't trying to be sarcastic in educating those of us who did not know how to do this, so thank you for that. So many times I've seen a newbie shut down verbally because she asked a question that's been done to death and that's so counterproductive. You taught us something valuable today.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    I put my pedometer on so all the walking I do while cleaning/gardening is counted but thats about it
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Wait, you guys all SCRUB your WALLS?! Why????? I've never cleaned a wall in my life.
  • puskit84
    puskit84 Posts: 2
    I count it if it's outside my usual routine and I build up a sweat/get my heart rate going.
    I don't use it just to score extra calories.
    When it comes to shopping I count that in my steps/walking (I wouldn't normally every night be walking 2-3 hours). I may not count it all but I do count some.
    I think it's down to personal preferrence and physical activity levels. What's good for one might not be for another.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    I don't count housework. It was something I did before I started my weight loss journey and its something I have to do every day. Its part of my normal daily expenditure of calories. I only count extra exercise such as bike rides and walks in the park.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    I just think of it as an added bonus, I wouldn't log it.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    I don't. I have a sedentary job so those are calories that I should have been burning anyways. I only log actual exercises.
  • Try putting on some Latin music and dancing around while dusting/vacuuming/making freezer jam/picking up the house etc. As long as you work up a sweat and your heart rate is elevated, you can count it. I set my activity level as "Sedentary" because I work full time at an office job, commute 2 hours (each way) to school at least once a week and spend a good chunk of my "free" time reading for school. "Sedentary" asummes far less daily activity as "normal". Don't claim it if it's just light housework/normal dishes. I also count yard work (push mower, hedge trimming, etc) because it's a good chunk of time (1/2 to a whole Saturday usually) and it wears me out.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Routine housework is routine. Heavy housework is exercise. Cleaning carpets, washing walls,moving furniture, that's exercise. You dont do it everyday unlless that is the job you earn your living at.
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Well, a recent study shows that a drop in housework has contributed to the rise in obesity in women...

"A new study adds yet more evidence that the decline in physical activity is contributing to the rise in obesity in the U.S. This study, however, is bound to cause some controversy, as researchers found the increase in obesity in women is tied to a falloff in the amount of housework they currently do compared with days gone by.

Published in PLoS One, the study shows that women were doing far less housework in 2010 than they were in 1965, and this has led to burning about 360 less calories per day. In 1965, women cooked, cleaned, and did laundry, among other household work, an average of 26 hours per week. In 2010, the amount of time spent doing the same work declined to 13 hours per week."

http://women.webmd.com/news/20130304/housework-women-obesity
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    More...

"The researchers used historical data to get a better idea of the amount of time spent on specific activities in the past. They found that the time spent doing housework declined from 25.7 hours per week in 1965 to 13.3 hours per week in 2010, with non-employed women cutting the amount of weekly housework by nearly 17 hours and working women by nearly seven hours.

The amount of energy used in household management declined 42% for non-employed women, down from 6,004 calories burned per week in 1965 to 3,486 calories burned per week in 2010 -- a weekly reduction of 2,518 calories.

"We found that non-employed women are spending about 360 calories less per day in physical activity, and if we look at obesity as calories in and calories out, this is a huge number of calories," Archer says. "It's about 15% of their total daily energy expenditure. We spend hundreds of millions of dollars studying diet and nutrition, which is the energy in, but we spend almost no money on the energy-expenditure portion of the equation. The most modifiable factor in the energy-balance equation is physical activity."

The researchers also found that the amount of time women spent watching television, and later using the computer, doubled from eight hours in 1965 to 16 hours in 2010."