you did not add a finger snap
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    that's awesome!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm the only overweight person in the class, and I always stand in the back so that I don't have to worry about people looking at how out of shape I am, how unable I am to do some of the movements, etc."
    Here's a not-secret: you are not the only overweight person in the class. Matter-of-fact to everyone who thinks they are the *only* overweight person in the class -- you are not. You may be the only 'currently' overweight person in the class -- but plenty of your classmates started at the beginning, just like you did, and they've walked in your shoes (heck, my yoga teacher started doing yoga because he was 75lbs heavier than he is today). I wish there was a badge or ring or special handshake. Everyone starts at the beginning, and everyone at the gym is the same: they are there to work out and be fit.

^^^Truth. I started out at the gym feeling like I didn't belong there (I honestly had no idea what I was doing and was horribly out of shape) and now (I was told this by a woman at the gym a few weeks ago) I'm one of the "regulars" at the gym who looks like they could walk out and do a fitness competition <--- that blew my mind that people see me that way. I still feel like that awkward gym newbie some days... Sometimes when I see a girl who looks like me when I started I want to go and talk to her about how I started and where I am now. Don't just assume that the people at your gym have always looked that way. We all have to start somewhere!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This brought a tear to my eye, really that must have felt great!!! So many times we think that those "in shape/fit people" are judging us when in reality they are often quite impressed that we are busting our butts to get healthier!!! Keep at it :)

Exactly!

I think it's really awesome that he went out of his way to say something nice and encouraging! Way to go, you!!! And for what it's worth, if you've been at this consistently since January, you are probably much fitter than most skinny people. :)
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yay!!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What does "NSV" mean?
    [/quote]

Non Scale Victory
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    That is a great NSV!! Congratulations
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
    Your are doing great,
    I wish I could do kick boxing it sounds like fun!
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your AWESOME accomplishment so far!!! You are doing really well. And that is such a great compliment you received!!!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you. Keep up the fine work.

Many of us would like to know what NSV mean?

Can someone please answer
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! :-)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    There's a super-fit (like something in a fitness magazine) guy in the class, and tonight he looked at me out of the blue as we were waiting for class to begin and said "You look better and better every single week. You are really doing great!"

He totally wants the V. :smokin: :laugh:

Great job!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love this. Just goes to show how a little bit of admiration and kindness can go such a long way.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    Seriously just brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing that!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You may be the only 'currently' overweight person in the class -- but plenty of your classmates started at the beginning, just like you did, and they've walked in your shoes (heck, my yoga teacher started doing yoga because he was 75lbs heavier than he is today). I wish there was a badge or ring or special handshake. Everyone starts at the beginning, and everyone at the gym is the same: they are there to work out and be fit.

Love that idea - a secret ring for everyone who has "been there" :wink:

And for those that are asking, NSV = non-scale victory. All the successes that we have along this journey that are not just a number on the scale.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm still a bit in shock from this...

I go to a shadowboxing class at my gym every Tuesday night. I'm the only overweight person in the class, and I always stand in the back so that I don't have to worry about people looking at how out of shape I am, how unable I am to do some of the movements, etc.

I've been taking the class (and working with a trainer) since January, during which time I've lost 45 lbs, but I'm still very much overweight. There's a super-fit (like something in a fitness magazine) guy in the class, and tonight he looked at me out of the blue as we were waiting for class to begin and said "You look better and better every single week. You are really doing great!"

I'm definitely going to bed with a smile on my face tonight.

Am posting this mainly because I thought it might provide a little motivation to others who still appear fat and still feel like they don't really belong in the gym. And, OK, because I wanted to brag a little. I admit it. :smokin:

BRAG A LITTLE???? Please you need to be BRAGGING ALOT!!!

that is awesome. keep up the good work.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome ! :drinker: to you!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you. Keep up the fine work.

Many of us would like to know what NSV mean?

Can someone please answer

Non scale victory! Compliments, clothes fitting better, fitness accomplishments etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!