Wondering about people who eat the same foods

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I end up eating the same kinds of foods most of the time simply because it's what I keep buying at the store. I buy what fits my budget and gets me the greatest nutritional value for my buck. That basically ends up being chicken, eggs, whole grain products, fruits and veggies, greek yogurt, and a couple treats like ice cream.

I basically always have eggs or oatmeal for my breakfast foods. Dinners almost always involve chicken cooked one way or another. Snacks are greek yogurt, fruit, or some kind of treat.

I wouldn't necessarily say it makes it easier to lose weight but it does make it pretty easy to put meals together :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The first half of my day (up through lunch) is the same. But that's because I buy a type of lunchmeat, a loaf of bread, etc., and I have to use it all up before it gets old anyway.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I wonder if sticking to the same foods every day might lead to nutritional deficiencies. I think you'd want to make sure you were getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. Personally, I couldn't survive on the same thing every day. I love variety and would go nuts not getting to have anything different.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much the same for me. I tend to rotate foods a bit so I don't get bored or sick of it.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've eaten the same thing (cooked differently sometimes, but the same foods) every day for 6 weeks... down 12 lbs. I prep and portion all of my food on Sunday and then I can just grab and go all week.:

Breakfast: 1 packet of oatmeal; 4 egg whites
    Snack 1: 2 oz ground turkey and 20 almonds
    Lunch: 4 oz chicken breast; .5 cup rice; .5 cup vegetables (I eat most of this at lunch time and save a small amount to eat before I head out to the gym after work)
    Snack 2: Light Greek Yogurt
    Post Workout: Protein Shake
    Dinner: 5 oz chicken breast; 1 cup vegetables

Sometimes I'll throw in a sugar free candy or a multi grain cracker when I just can't stand the monotony, but then I get on the scale, see the results, and that's usually enough to get me back on track.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Through my journey I first learned to plan a whole day at a time. Otherwise if I sit there at each meal and say "what do I want" It gets crazy. Then I was still stressing, so I tried eating basically the same thing all the time, and I found that it reduced my stress. Now if we are going out I can tweek my other meals to accomodate eating out, but most days I don't even have to think about it.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same thing every day for breakfast and lunch, and it's absolutely because I don't want to take the time to search for new foods in the database. I'm just busy at work and don't have time for all that. :smile:
  • qmcdeva
    qmcdeva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I basically shop for the week and eat the same thing. For example, all last week for breakfast I ate raisin bread, banana, 2 oranges.
    For lunch, I ate spicy turkey on Italian herb bread and special k chips
    For dinner, I ate cheerios, grapes, and 2 oranges
    And this week I ate for breakfast: kellogs corn pops; 1% milk, and a banana
    for lunch I ate grilled chicken breast marinated in garlic and herb marinate, garlic mashed potatoes, and had a green tea
    for dinner I had chicken breast patty on hamburger bun and special k chips
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I chose regular meals that I can make small changes to so that I can have a little variety while getting the right amounts of what I need from it. Feels easier to me too because I also pick simple to make meals that I could even work out while cooking and then eat when I am done.
  • celenachan
    celenachan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight this is what I did on the weekdays (though not necessarily intentionally). It takes the guess work, pressure of calculating different recipes and foods. I am a creature of habit, so I liked the routine, I even came to crave what I was eating. When I started transitioning into maintinace/gain mode, I found myself panicking a bit because I had to add foods that were not in my "safety net".

If you can find set meals that you thuroughly enjoy and wont get sick of, eating the same thing can help keep your mind off food :)
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Easier to train your body with the same foods to control the numbers at first I think...then incorporate and switch things up as you see fit and learn more about what's healthy and good
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do this! Not always spot on day after day, but generally the same every week day. It makes it a lot easier to stick to my diet AND the food prep come Sunday night is always quick and painless. Then I can just grab & go. Saves a lot of time.

Haven't gotten sick of anything either! (yet...knock on wood)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same thing for breakfast, banana with 2 Tbsp peanut butter (so good). I eat things that are calorically similar for lunch, but my dinner tends to be all over the place depending on if my unemployed older brother is home and has a wild hare to cook dinner. :)

*Edit for grammar, whoopsie!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly the same thing for breakfast and for lunch. Dinner has a little more variation but not much, I switch between maybe 5-8 things. I try new things when I find recipes but I'm fairly consistent. Most of it has some variation of chicken but starting to add more pork. My boyfriend has a red meat allergy so we stick to more poultry. Fish too but we don't keep that on hand.

However, with breakfast and lunch, I eat the same thing every day for a week or two then switch to something else for a week or two. I'll rotate between about 3 different things.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot of the same things for breakfast and lunch. I try to save the bulk of my daily calories for dinner so I can eat with my family without changing our meals too drastically (although they have changed). So breakfast is usually oatmeal or a peanut butter sandwich. Lunch is usually a PB sandwich (but not if I had one for breakfast), tuna sandwich, egg salad sandwich or a veggie salad. I'll often add some fruits, veggies, yogurt, string cheese, etc, but the main portion is typically one of those.

It's just easier for me, I have a few things that keep me full without being too high calorie, so I stick with them. I'm a creature of habit anyway, so it doesn't bother me to eat the same thing a lot.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat basically the same foods on the weekdays and spice it up the weekends

Breakfast: greek yogurt, green smoothie, hard boiled egg or leftover protein, milk in coffee

Lunch: sandwich thin sandwich, apple, almonds

Dinner:
    Monday - black bean burrio bowl
    Tuesday - Fish with rice and veggies
    Wednesday - out
    Thursday - out
    Friday - pizza

I like it. It makes it easy to plan meals and go grocery shopping. I have a couple other go to meals when I need them for variety for dinner. I haven't gotten bored yet and I have been doing it about 7 months.
  • devriesers
    devriesers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same foods for most meals; it's convenient, I know what to expect, I know the numbers, I know I'll stay within my calories.

However, I've discovered that a complete lack of variety can sabotage my efforts. When the thought of one more bite of fat-free cottage cheese (one of my staples) makes me want to throw up, I'm more likely to say "screw it" and reach for the phone to order a pizza.

I've found that it's kind of fun to shake it up, figure out ways to make some of my faves more diet-friendly. Tonight I'll be treating myself to tacos. Skinnied-down tacos, but I still couldn't be more excited.

Just like with exercise, I think you have to have some variety in your diet. It'll keep you engaged in your weight-loss efforts, and you're more likely to get the nutrition you need. And you'll be much less likely to get sick of something and sabotage yourself.

Good luck! :)
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same thing for breakfast every day. When I'm at uni, I usually eat the same thing for lunch/dinner every few weeks (because the dining hall goes on a cycle like that) following the same pattern, but over the summer, it's pretty much whatever XD
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi I was wondering who out there tends to eat the same foods every day. It would seem like a really easy way to lose weight. Let me rephrase that lol. It seems like it would be easier not easy. Anyone who does this? What is your mindset? I wonder if I could do this. I know people dont eat the "exact" same foods everyday but what about same lunches or dinners etc....curious :)

I go through phases sometimes, of wanting something yummy over and over. Some things, like pizza, I could eat every day, but still, it would be slightly different. Variety is the spice of life, is my motto. :bigsmile:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Normally, my breakfasts remain the same through the work week: Yogurt, scrabled eggs, and a hash made from potatos, ground beef, and onions. Occasionally, I'll change up the spices to keep things interesting. But keeping that unfiorm simplifies shopping and cooking for my other meals for the week.

Those other meals tend to be the same for that week, but they'll change out each week. I basically use recipes meant for 4 people and split it over 5 days. That way, I'm usually cooking the breakfast and two meals, all of which I eat at work, on Sunday. That means I don't have to cook during the week. Dinner still changes daily because I'll drive over to my parents house, where I get dinner in exchange for helping them out.