What do you make for dinner when you are alone?

Options
getting_fit86
getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
I have been on my own for the past couple of nights and my dinners are looking... well... blah. Fried eggs with cottage cheese anyone?

Any suggestions on making a healthy, lower calorie dinner for myself? It is always a hassle when you are on your own for supper - I usually have at least 2 other people to cook for which makes the whole ordeal a little more worth while!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    w2gdukA.png

I season it with oregano, basil, fennel seeds, crushed red peppers, and a little olive oil (not included in the calories because I forgot it). I freshly grate the cheese.

Awesome...
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!! Not bad on the calories either.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I make an 8 oz bag of shiritaki noodles (the 0 calorie kind) and then put Ramen noodle seasoning in. :blushing: It's my little vice that I don't let anyone else see. It's so easy and simple and it satisfies my college kid level cooking abilities... Haha
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    PB&J :)

or, if I am feeling crazy..... a giant bowl of air popped pop corn... HEHE, good thing I am not home alone for dinner too often!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Something that isn't fussy and cooks fairly quickly. On uber lazy days I'll cut up some chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook that in a pan (salt, pepper, & garlic at a minimum, sometimes with honey mustard or BWW Asian Zing sauce) while microwaving a bag of frozen veggies and maybe cooking a serving of pasta or a roll. When started in the right order it all gets done at the same time and a balanced dinner is completed with minimal effort.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    LOL! Mine didn't come out pretty, like TheBitSlinger!

I make cranberry almond chicken salad and tuck it into a high fiber wrap...I make this on Sundays and snack on it through out the week...

Ingredients & Calories
    Low Carb Tortillas - Xtreme Wellness! High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps 5g Net Carb Per Tortilla, 1 Tortilla (45g) 50
    Ocean Spray - Reduced Sugar Craisins (From Website)1/4 Cup 100
    Best Choice - Sliced Almonds Natural Sliced, 1 tablespoon 52
    Celery - Raw, 2 tbsp 2
    Onion - Red Onion, Raw, 1/8 cup 8
    Great Value - Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt, 1/4 cup 30
    Walmart Great Value - Chunk Chicken Breast In Water Fully Cooked Canned, 3 oz drained (56 g) 68

Total: 310 per serving
  • CoffeeLush
    CoffeeLush Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wheat pasta with a homemade sauce is my go. Boil pasta. Simmer garlic, capers, tomatoes, sausage, splash of white wine and whatever vegetables I have laying around. I love making sauces from scratch. So easy. Generally, the sauce is finished by the time the pasta is done boiling.

Roasting a chicken breast in the oven with some veggies.

Epic salads are always good too. Foliage of some sort, veggies, toppings like canned garbanzo beans for healthy slow carb, mmmm.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I think I cook better when I'm by myself. That way I don't have to share the good stuff =)

The BF has been working lots of overtime this week since it's been so hot out (He's an AC tech) so I've been going crazy on my meal-for-one dinners this week.

Monday was:
    Mexican brown rice w/ green peppers, black beans, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos
    Baked swai fillet with salsa & cheese
    Balsamic-garlic brussel sprouts

Last night was:
    2 pesto salmon fillets
    crab stuffed portabello cap
    sweet potato
    baked zucchini rounds

Tonight is:
    Grilled chicken breast
    3 egg omelet filled with ground turkey, green peppers, jalapenos, cheese, salsa, onions & tomatoes
    Baked red skin potato w/ marinara sauce & fresh parmesan

....Not always the most cohesive meals, but they kick some a$s :drinker:
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Pasta with pesto sauce. Quick and easy
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    im-on-a-seafood-diet-240x180.jpg
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LOL! Mine didn't come out pretty, like TheBitSlinger!

Sigh, if I only had a dollar for every time someone said that about me. :laugh:
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    This week I've made spaghetti, stuffed bell peppers with brown rice and lean beef, today i had a grilled chicken sandwich (only use half the breast and split it open so it fits the bun.

I always make enough for leftovers or else to me it's not worth all the effort.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    the same as if I had 15 people,,,,
  • PatoGro
    PatoGro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello gettingfit,

I just posted a chicken breast recipe on the Recipes thread (Aromatic Chicken, if you want to do a keyword search). That's not SO quick, but it's yummy.

I usually try to cook one day a week when work and life permit, and I leave vegetable soup containers I can thaw and have for dinner before another dish. If I am not much in the mood to do anything elaborate, I have a soy patty or a fish patty with steamed vegetables. Or add steamed veggies to a serving of pasta.

Hope this helps :)
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    lol I'm having PB&J on a whole wheat pita tonight...I really just have to eat through the stuff that's about to go bad...another problem with shopping for one :(
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been making quesadillas (chicken, broccoli, and low fat cheese is my current favorite..Italian spin on it).

I've also been making a lot of "taco salads" lately.. ground turkey or grilled chicken with homemade pico de gallo, fresh jalapenos, lettuce, olives, a little low fat cheese, and either Trader Joe's guilty free guac or homemade "taco sauce" (greek yogurt, low sodium taco seasoning, Sazon, a few squeezes of lime juice, a little hot sauce).
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm usually on my own for dinner. Sometimes I make a regular sized meal so that we have leftovers for lunches, but most of the time I grill either a chicken breast or a piece of fish (I buy individually frozen portions) along with veg/sweet potato/salad. Works out great since no one in my house will eat fish or sweet potatoes but me.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    of course it posted twice. :laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Toast with poached eggs and some kind of green veggie (steamed broccoli with lemon pepper is my favorite)
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I make a flatbread pizza for myself, or make 1 serving of noodles and add a serving of tuna with yellow and spicy mustard and some bell pepper, or frozen peas. I cook for 1 all the time, it gets easier. You can make pasta in 1 serving, or a salad for 1.