Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    e.JPG

So, eat ALL the french fries, yeah? They are the best deal.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    So it would make no difference if my daily caloric intake every day for 30 days was 2,100 calories of Big Macs, fries, and Coke or 2,100 calories of chicken breast, rice, and vegetables, as long as I was under my calories, I would enjoy the exact same level of health? Fascinating...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So it would make no difference if my daily caloric intake every day for 30 days was 2,100 calories of Big Macs, fries, and Coke or 2,100 calories of chicken breast, rice, and vegetables, as long as I was under my calories, I would enjoy the exact same level of health? Fascinating...

Said no one.

Straw_man4.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Said no one.

Straw_man4.jpg

It was a question, not an argument, do you have a clever image to post for that situation?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,954 Member
    Options
    oh. My favorite..

A thread that has gone off the rails.

yay.

I mean:

damn-o.gif
    wut?
  • magerum
    Options

Said no one.

Straw_man4.jpg

It was a question, not an argument, do you have a clever image to post for that situation?

ec885afa-e22e-44f5-9357-e16d89297cfb_zpsed07a58b.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No because the Big Mac eater will not meet sufficient nutrient intake levels.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    So since we are on the topic, another thing I've noticed is that some members like to brag that they lost weight while eating Fast food, Fried foods, poptarts, ice cream..or whatever. For example like the Pirate Mans signature states he lost 65lbs powered by Mcdonalds, Bryers, Poptarts, and Taco Bell. Now I have no problem with this if thats what you choose to do, but why be a hypocrit and make an issue because they want to brag that they lost weight and met their person fitness goals through "clean eating" powered by organic foods, fruits, and vegetables. Don't they also have the same right as you to boast about how they lost weight? There is a lot of double standards and this is an issue that I've personal notice on these forums. This notion that I can talk about how I still enjoy my ice cream, but yet another member can't talk about how they enjoy their diet of foods closest to nature or their "clean diet".
  • magerum
    Options
    So since we are on the topic, another thing I've noticed is that some members like to brag that they lost weight while eating Fast food, Fried foods, poptarts, ice cream..or whatever. For example like the Pirate Mans signature states he lost 65lbs powered by Mcdonalds, Bryers, Poptarts, and Taco Bell. Now I have no problem with this if thats what you choose to do, but why be a hypocrit and make an issue because they want to brag that they lost weight and met their person fitness goals through "clean eating" powered by organic foods, fruits, and vegetables. Don't they also have the same right as you to boast about how they lost weight? There is a lot of double standards and this is an issue that I've personal notice on these forums. This notion that I can talk about how I still enjoy my ice cream, but yet another member can't talk about how they enjoy their diet of foods closest to nature or their "clean diet".

They tend to demonize any other method or food choices. State that it's the only way or that you'll die of <insert random disease here> if you don't "eat clean". That's the problem, nothing else.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I don't think it's the issue that people just say 'because its what I enjoy.' Normally it's something along the lines of 'your going to get cancer', 'you can't get all your proper nutrients' or my favourite 'don't have to count the fruit and veg calories'
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

But if you read the post above yours, he acknowledges the requirement of meeting nutrient targets. He never states that one should not eat good food choices. The ongoing stance is that it is the meeting of one's nutrient requirements that leads to success, not which foods accomplish that feat. Ultimately, what I believe Pirate Man and others are saying is that success is driven by hitting calorie and nutrient targets. Clean eating is only successful if/when it achieves those targets, which is the underlying principle behind IIFYM. Conversely, it could be argued that, from strictly a weight loss perspective, a person can eat clean and not lose weight, but it is highly unlikely, if they are tracking correctly, that a person following IIFYM will not lose weight.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Less than 50 posts until this train wreck rolls...........I can't wait.
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    Personally I think there is nothing more satisfying then making a meal that is tasty from scratch. No reprepared or pre-packaged stuff but to be realistic sometimes you have to buy it because you are time poor.

I agree that the key is getting all the nutrients you need and above all else being consistent.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I only like clean food.

:explode:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Personally I think there is nothing more satisfying then making a meal that is tasty from scratch. No reprepared or pre-packaged stuff but to be realistic sometimes you have to buy it because you are time poor.

I agree that the key is getting all the nutrients you need and above all else being consistent.

Being consistent with what?
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

But if you read the post above yours, he acknowledges the requirement of meeting nutrient targets. He never states that one should not eat good food choices. The ongoing stance is that it is the meeting of one's nutrient requirements that leads to success, not which foods accomplish that feat. Ultimately, what I believe Pirate Man and others are saying is that success is driven by hitting calorie and nutrient targets. Clean eating is only successful if/when it achieves those targets, which is the underlying principle behind IIFYM. Conversely, it could be argued that, from strictly a weight loss perspective, a person can eat clean and not lose weight, but it is highly unlikely, if they are tracking correctly, that a person following IIFYM will not lose weight.

I think I some what agree with this statement but my other question is, what if someone takes a multivitamin and eats a protein bar and then the rest of the day is say fast food. Under IIFYM philosophy is this considered a way of meeting ones nutrient requirements? Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements? I am asking because after observing Pirates dairy many of his meals are from eating out at fast food places. This is in no way an attack, I am just very curious. I've noticed that most IIFYM eat great, get plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits into their diet and have a very well balanced diet. I am just curious as to your take on this?
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I think I some what agree with this statement but my other question is, what if someone takes a multivitamin and eats a protein bar and then the rest of the day is say fast food. Under IIFYM philosophy is this considered a way of meeting ones nutrient requirements? Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements? I am asking because after observing Pirates dairy many of his meals are from eating out at fast food places. This is in no way an attack, I am just very curious. I've noticed that most IIFYM eat great, get plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits into their diet and have a very well balanced diet. I am just curious as to your take on this?

interesting points. While I cannot back it up, I am inclined to say that the person you described would be successful in losing or maintaining weight, based on goals, but having zero knowledge of a persons ability to fully process nutrients from say a multi vitamin, I don't know how I would feel regarding the longevity of their overall health
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements?

Well, yes, considering it's pretty easy to eat nothing but fast food and still get a wide variety of foods including fruits and vegetables. The vitamin isn't necessary at all.

Pretty much any IIFYM practitioner, myself included, will strongly recommend that people get several servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements?

Well, yes, considering it's pretty easy to eat nothing but fast food and still get a wide variety of foods including fruits and vegetables. The vitamin isn't necessary at all.

Pretty much any IIFYM practitioner, myself included, will strongly recommend that people get several servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Sounds good to me, Jonnythan do you think you get enough servings of fruit and vegetables a day?