Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So since we are on the topic, another thing I've noticed is that some members like to brag that they lost weight while eating Fast food, Fried foods, poptarts, ice cream..or whatever. For example like the Pirate Mans signature states he lost 65lbs powered by Mcdonalds, Bryers, Poptarts, and Taco Bell. Now I have no problem with this if thats what you choose to do, but why be a hypocrit and make an issue because they want to brag that they lost weight and met their person fitness goals through "clean eating" powered by organic foods, fruits, and vegetables. Don't they also have the same right as you to boast about how they lost weight? There is a lot of double standards and this is an issue that I've personal notice on these forums. This notion that I can talk about how I still enjoy my ice cream, but yet another member can't talk about how they enjoy their diet of foods closest to nature or their "clean diet".

But if you read the post above yours, he acknowledges the requirement of meeting nutrient targets. He never states that one should not eat good food choices. The ongoing stance is that it is the meeting of one's nutrient requirements that leads to success, not which foods accomplish that feat. Ultimately, what I believe Pirate Man and others are saying is that success is driven by hitting calorie and nutrient targets. Clean eating is only successful if/when it achieves those targets, which is the underlying principle behind IIFYM. Conversely, it could be argued that, from strictly a weight loss perspective, a person can eat clean and not lose weight, but it is highly unlikely, if they are tracking correctly, that a person following IIFYM will not lose weight.

Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements?

Well, yes, considering it's pretty easy to eat nothing but fast food and still get a wide variety of foods including fruits and vegetables. The vitamin isn't necessary at all.

Pretty much any IIFYM practitioner, myself included, will strongly recommend that people get several servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Sounds good to me, Jonnythan do you think you get enough servings of fruit and vegetables a day?

It's a trap! hahaha. But seriously..how does what Jonnythan eat have to do with the OP?
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So since we are on the topic, another thing I've noticed is that some members like to brag that they lost weight while eating Fast food, Fried foods, poptarts, ice cream..or whatever. For example like the Pirate Mans signature states he lost 65lbs powered by Mcdonalds, Bryers, Poptarts, and Taco Bell. Now I have no problem with this if thats what you choose to do, but why be a hypocrit and make an issue because they want to brag that they lost weight and met their person fitness goals through "clean eating" powered by organic foods, fruits, and vegetables. Don't they also have the same right as you to boast about how they lost weight? There is a lot of double standards and this is an issue that I've personal notice on these forums. This notion that I can talk about how I still enjoy my ice cream, but yet another member can't talk about how they enjoy their diet of foods closest to nature or their "clean diet".

But if you read the post above yours, he acknowledges the requirement of meeting nutrient targets. He never states that one should not eat good food choices. The ongoing stance is that it is the meeting of one's nutrient requirements that leads to success, not which foods accomplish that feat. Ultimately, what I believe Pirate Man and others are saying is that success is driven by hitting calorie and nutrient targets. Clean eating is only successful if/when it achieves those targets, which is the underlying principle behind IIFYM. Conversely, it could be argued that, from strictly a weight loss perspective, a person can eat clean and not lose weight, but it is highly unlikely, if they are tracking correctly, that a person following IIFYM will not lose weight.

Can someone eat fast food for almost every meal, every day, and pop a multivitamin to have met their nutrients requirements?

Well, yes, considering it's pretty easy to eat nothing but fast food and still get a wide variety of foods including fruits and vegetables. The vitamin isn't necessary at all.

Pretty much any IIFYM practitioner, myself included, will strongly recommend that people get several servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Sounds good to me, Jonnythan do you think you get enough servings of fruit and vegetables a day?

It's a trap! hahaha. But seriously..how does what Jonnythan eat have to do with the OP?

And I am now thinking of Sheldon Cooper.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I do pretty well generally.

But, again: I'm not telling anyone that they need to eat like me.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I worry only bout carbs,protein and fats i dont usually add vegies like brocolli, but i do add potatoes,sweet potatoes etc..
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

You caught me! Well I think we all started going on our own tangents many pages ago. That and I was honestly very curious about the IIFYM Philosophy because part of the reason it is hard to grasp is because there are some advocate of IIFYM that do not actually practice what they preach. However with the clarifications mentioned above I think it can be a great philosophy if its actually followed correctly and not used as an excuse to overindulge when your nutritional needs have not been met.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You caught me! Well I think we all started going on our own tangents many pages ago. That and I was honestly very curious about the IIFYM Philosophy because part of the reason it is hard to grasp is because there are some advocate of IIFYM that do not actually practice what they preach. However with the clarifications mentioned above I think it can be a great philosophy if its actually followed correctly and not used as an excuse to overindulge when your nutritional needs have not been met.

It's not "an excuse to overindulge." It gives you the freedom to indulge in foods you love, because the focus is on nutrients and not labels.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    e.JPG

So, eat ALL the french fries, yeah? They are the best deal.

That's what I took from it.

Still, I'd rather make my own fries. That's why I have a fry daddy, for all my deep frying needs. All the grease and salt of McDonalds without the forced social aspect of leaving my apartment.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

The best explanation I've ever heard is that IIFYM is higher on the "diet" chain than the particular eating path you may follow. You find the protein target that you need for muscle growth/retention depending on your goals. You find the fat target that you need for hormone function. Carbs fall where they may and within your personal preference.

Want to eat "clean"? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon may be clean but isn't going to help you meet protein and fat goals.

Want to eat vegetarian? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon is vegetarian, but again, wouldn't be balanced.

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

It's not an excuse to eat junk food. It's protein and fat targets for optimal health and fitness. How that need is met is up to each person. It is a balanced eating philosophy intended to give the body the macronutrients needed for the individual's goals.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

It's not "an excuse to overindulge." It gives you the freedom to indulge in foods you love, because the focus is on nutrients and not labels.

completely agree, but if you are indulging in foods you love and not meeting your nutritional needs, is that not over indulgence?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

completely agree, but if you are indulging in foods you love and not meeting your nutritional needs, is that not over indulgence?

Pretty sure it also wouldn't be IIFYM.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options

One possible scenario. Not meeting nutritional needs could be from under eating in general as well.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'd like to clear this up once and for all.

HAHAHAHA! Good Luck With That! :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I love frozen grapes. I indulge in them A LOT. But I try hard to make them (and whatever else I eat) fit into my cals and macros. I've gotten a lot better about it, but IIFYM, for me, isn't stressful. I tried cutting out foods and would get so stressed that I'd end up binging or hating myself - which is just as unhealthy as overeating.

With IIFYM, I'm not going to freak out if I got to one of my macros by eating a cookie or chicken nuggets as long as I do it and stay within my macros and cals

ETA: When I say a lot, I mean once I ate about 500 cals worth of frozen grapes one day and I buy 2-4 bags 1-2x a week....lol
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

ETA: When I say a lot, I mean once I ate about 500 cals worth of frozen grapes one day and I buy 2-4 bags 1-2x a week....lol

I wish I could live off blueberries.

IIFYM made me reevaluate my protein needs, clued me in to the trap of losing lbm with just calorie counting and finding myself yo-yo dieting, gave me a sound reason why higher fat than many people are comfortable with just works better for my body and showed me the base nutrients of the food I love and how to combine them in the best way for me.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

The best explanation I've ever heard is that IIFYM is higher on the "diet" chain than the food philosophy you may subscribe to. You find the protein target that you need for muscle growth/retention depending on your goals. You find the fat target that you need for hormone function. Carbs fall where they may and within your personal preference.

Want to eat "clean"? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon may be clean but isn't going to help you meet protein and fat goals.

Want to eat vegetarian? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon is vegetarian, but again, wouldn't be balanced.

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

It's not an excuse to eat junk food. It's protein and fat targets for optimal health and fitness. How that need is met is up to each person. It is a balanced eating philosophy intended to give the body the macronutrients needed for the individual's goals.

Does it also take into account a well balance of getting enough Vitamins, or Fiber for example or does it only stress Carbs, Fat, and Protein? I don't think anyone is going on a watermelon only diet, but it does make a yummy snack with lots of vitamins. I think from other responses they are equally important but I'd love more opinions from the IIFYMers because this is my main question of the philosophy. Technically I can get enough fat, carbs, and protein from eating say Taco Bell all day, but its not going to be a very nutrients dense diet. If I focused on getting all my nutrients from a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, fish, lean meats, whole grans, legumes, and then had room for some icecream thats a different story. Maybe I would like it better if it was IIFYMN..If It Fits your Macros & Nutrients
    One possible scenario. Not meeting nutritional needs could be from under eating in general as well.
    Couldn't agree more! Or eating too much of one thing say "grapes" and not getting other nutrients that are also important like say amino's. I'm a very big believer in Balance including finding room for the foods you love whether it be grapes or ice cream or some In and Out Burger ( just no pink slime please, or glue, or any other weird substance that with the stretch of the imagination could somehow still be considered food).
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Pretty sure it also wouldn't be IIFYM.

this
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options

The best explanation I've ever heard is that IIFYM is higher on the "diet" chain than the food philosophy you may subscribe to. You find the protein target that you need for muscle growth/retention depending on your goals. You find the fat target that you need for hormone function. Carbs fall where they may and within your personal preference.

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

Does it also take into account a well balance of getting enough Vitamins, or Fiber for example or does it only stress Carbs, Fat, and Protein? I don't think anyone is going on a watermelon only diet, but it does make a yummy snack with lots of vitamins. I think from other responses they are equally important but I'd love more opinions from the IIFYMers because this is my main question of the philosophy. Technically I can get enough fat, carbs, and protein from eating say Taco Bell all day, but its not going to be a very nutrients dense diet. If I focused on getting all my nutrients from a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, fish, lean meats, whole grans, legumes, and then had room for some icecream thats a different story. Maybe I would like it better if it was IIFYMN..If It Fits your Macros & Nutrients

I only care about Fat,Protein, Carb and calorie goal
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I wish I could live off blueberries.

IIFYM made me reevaluate my protein needs, clued me in to the trap of losing lbm with just calorie counting and finding myself yo-yo dieting, gave me a sound reason why higher fat than many people are comfortable with just works better for my body and showed me the base nutrients of the food I love and how to combine them in the best way for me.

Yep...agreed. And IIFYM also helped me realize that I had developed a "reluctance" to eating more protein because of trying to eat "clean" and such, I had "demonized" meat, even though I like eating meat. Now I've really improved in my protein intake, going fro 20g-40g a day to 70-140g a day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

Different followers view that different ways. Personally I also stress fiber. I try to get a balance of micros over the week rather than trying to hit them all in one day.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

I only care about Fat,Protein, Carb and calorie goal

I've found that without stressing about the micros...I'm meeting them just fine.