Strength training question?

Options
13»

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to make up the numbers for ironanimals side. It must be bromance!
    Only once you spot my squat. :wink:

Sure, you won't have to worry about failure, as if that happens, I'll just lift if over my head! :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can do abs as many times a week as you want. You should do arms and back one day and legs on another day. It helps you focus more on those muscles. Abs and cardio you can do everyday.

headdesk

you wouldn't sqat as many times as week as you want... or bench as many times a week as you want... so why would you do abs as many times a week as you want?

besides- doing "abs at the end of every workout" is rubbish. Part of the beauty of compound movements or plyos is to engage the "Core"

doing abs as often as you want is like doing curls as often as you want... which is stupid.

OP stick to the A/B workout with compound movements.

I also can't believe no one has said this yet- but feeling sore is NOT a great indicator of how great a workout you had. I've been working out for years- I've been legit sore 2-3 times the last year or so- maybe. And usually because I've simple done a completely different workout. being sore/tight isn't a great indicator. It just means you used muscles you haven't been.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I understand that. I'm not doing isolation for the most part.

Last week looked like this:
    Day 1: Jumping Lunges, Mountain climbers, box squats w/barbell, jump squat w/barbell, and weighted lunges

Day 2: Military press, lateral raise, front raise, push ups, bench press, rear delt raise, arc press

Day 3: Planks, glute bridges, cable kick backs, calf raises, incline sit-ups.

Day 4: Good Mornings, that thing where you sort of lie down and pull the bar toward you? T-bar something? No clue what it's called...etc.

So. I'm not sitting around doing bicep curls on a machine. I'm just trying to figure out the benefit of working literally every single muscle in one day. Is it faster results? Fewer things to worry about?

Day 2 has got to be brutal on your shoulders. I'd look at changing things up. I would focus on upper and lower alternating each day. Day 1 - OHP, Day 2 - Deadlifts, Day 3 - Bench Press, Day 4 - Squats. You can add additional exercises on those days that compliment the areas being worked as well as the antagonist muscles (opposite side) that need to be balanced.

It is brutal. And today my knee that "clicks" when I walk decided Day 1 is too hard on my joints as well. Definitely going to take y'all's suggestions and change it up a bit. I gotta say I'm getting some amazing results, but it isn't worth joint damage.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The PDF document linked below contains just about everything you need to know about fitness, conditioning, strength training, diet, supplements, rest and recovery, etc. It is evidence based, and not bro-science. I hope you find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByOi2FANUMbGTXdWMzgwdzcxSlE/edit
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    For strength training, I do the Group Power class a few times a week and a circuit training-type boot camp class 2 or 3 times a week and let the coaches figure out what I should do.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Day 1: Jumping Lunges, Mountain climbers, box squats w/barbell, jump squat w/barbell, and weighted lunges

Day 2: Military press, lateral raise, front raise, push ups, bench press, rear delt raise, arc press

Day 4: Good Mornings, that thing where you sort of lie down and pull the bar toward you? T-bar something? No clue what it's called...etc.

So. I'm not sitting around doing bicep curls on a machine. I'm just trying to figure out the benefit of working literally every single muscle in one day. Is it faster results? Fewer things to worry about?

Day 2 has got to be brutal on your shoulders. I'd look at changing things up. I would focus on upper and lower alternating each day. Day 1 - OHP, Day 2 - Deadlifts, Day 3 - Bench Press, Day 4 - Squats. You can add additional exercises on those days that compliment the areas being worked as well as the antagonist muscles (opposite side) that need to be balanced.

It is brutal. And today my knee that "clicks" when I walk decided Day 1 is too hard on my joints as well. Definitely going to take y'all's suggestions and change it up a bit. I gotta say I'm getting some amazing results, but it isn't worth joint damage.
    Dump the jump squat/jump lunges. Unless you land absolutely perferctly every time, you will jolt you knee on every rep. Swap your jump squats for front squats and your jump lunges for Stiff Leg Deadlifts.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You don't need a split. You need a full body workout 3 times per week. Do 3sets 12 reps. Check again 1 year from now.

You also don't need to focus on glutes unless you have some muscle imbalance. Just do big compound moves like squat and deadlift.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to support ironanimal, testing 1RM or 5RM is how you track your progress.

I also agree with just about everyone else, do Stronglifts 5x5 everything u need in 45mins 3x a week and quickest way to progress as a 'newbie' key it with eating right and the BF will drop
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Dump the jump squat/jump lunges. Unless you land absolutely perferctly every time, you will jolt you knee on every rep. Swap your jump squats for front squats and your jump lunges for Stiff Leg Deadlifts.

Done. Thanks. Fortunately I hate jumping and love deadlifting. ;)

Sorry to hijack your thread OP. Hopefully you got some good advice!