What do you have your AC set at?

Options

Replies

• susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    At work we have it set to 70 usually. This week it has been at 65 during the morning and off during the afternoon. They are replacing the roof outside and shut the ac off when they put the tar down, so it can get up to 80/85 in our office.

At home we keep it at 72 in the morning (we have large windows that face east and no backyard neighbors for a mile, so even with the blocking curtains closed it gets toasty), 74/76 in the afternoon, and off between midnight - 8am. There is always someone home, but if not we keep it at 78 for the cats. And it also depends on the humidity outside, if it is low humidity we'll probably keep the air off or at a higher temp.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Central air is set at 73 degrees Fahrenheit, but by mid afternoon my thermostat will read about 88 degrees. I have NO insulation in the attic of my rental home, so the air runs constantly. I don't think the actual temp in the house is 88--probably more like 75 midday. Night time it's pretty much spot on and the air will freeze you out. My bedroom feels like an iceberg!
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We only have a window A/C as well, which broke two nights ago resulting in my house being close to 90 degrees. It has been a hot and humid couple of days for us Minnesotans.

Our old A/C was very old and didn't have a themostat on the unit itself, though my wall thermostat usually read between 73-76 when we were home. Air was only on when we got home from work so we could sleep comfortably. We should be getting a new one today! We have always had an A/C so we have no fans and our place doesn't have ceiling fans- I was miserable. I can't imagine how everyone without it isn't miserable all the time. We are spoiled here!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Be it heat or AC, if on, it is at 70 degrees exactly. In spring or fall, when the weather is nice, we will turn it off completely and open the windows and doors.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how cold some of you keep your AC! Maybe it's just because it would cost so much to do that here?!

Really? I was thinking the opposite. I live in southern Louisiana, it is friggin hot and humid here. I can't even imagine having my thermostat above 73 and even that's too warm for me. (70 is perfect)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    68 but mine is a window AC unit.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how cold some of you keep your AC! Maybe it's just because it would cost so much to do that here?!

bout $140 a month here. House is pretty small though, 2000~ square feet.
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 75. I nearly fainted when I received my bill for last month. $548!!!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Depending on what part of the country I live in at the time my temperature on my AC unit changes. In Texas I used to keep it set at 80 and it felt plenty cool in temps at 100 F and over but there is no humidity in the part I lived in. I know live in South Carolina and the temp has to be changed on a daily basis due to comfort level. The humidity is between 90-100 percent all summer. I set it at 75 and economy setting which means that it will cool the house down to 72 degrees and won't kick on again until the temp reaches 78. I have to tweek the setting depending on what I am doing and how humid it is outside. I have been very hot and uncomfortable at 70 degrees and I have been very comfortable at 78 based on humidity.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    78 or 79 if we're in the house. If our house's "brain" sees that our phones are more than ten miles away it'll turn it up to 83. When we get within five miles and are still getting closer it'll turn it back to 78.

That's too cool!

We have our AC set based on time and days of the week. Monday - Friday it's set to 80 from 8 am - 4 pm when we're usually at work then it drops to 76 when I come home in the afternoons. It drops down to 73 around 9:30 pm and stays at 76 on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 75. I nearly fainted when I received my bill for last month. $548!!!
    My guess is you have poor insulation, leaksy vents, things of that nature.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I know right! Especially the people who turn it way down to 60 just so they can sleep under a big quilt. Get some light summer bedding
  • nlespier
    nlespier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona so during the summer it's 112+ (it's gotten to 122 a couple time already) outside. While we are at work we keep the AC at 75 and then have it programmed to drop to 73 just before we get home. But we also had ceiling fans going 24/7 in almost every room.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't have an A/C -- but do have air units in two windows. I try to keep it around 76ish - but typically it ends up going down to 72 and sometimes up to 80 (when I cook a lot, and that's short-lived afterwards -- i have a very small place).
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
  • ashleyhigg396
    Options
    72...Georgia humidity is the worst!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    81. I keep the ceiling fans on and use an oscillating fan if still feels too warm.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    At home, it's around 74...

At work, our boss has it set somewhere between Neptune & Pluto :grumble:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it around 69. Surprisingly, I'm not being saucy. I live in a condo with only one wall exposed to the outside and my AC is literally steam-powered, so I don't have any compunction about over-use.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I live in Japan and the recommended environmentally friendly temp is 28 C for the air conditioner. 82.4 F. Feels pretty cool.
    Compared to the humid outside.

So do you run your a.c. when your not home?? Why?

Before I had dogs, I definately upped the temp to around 85-90F when I wasn't home. Last year when I got a new energy efficient HVAC unit installed it was recommended not to fluctuate the temp too much during the summer. Last year I kept it parked at 80 and my highest energy bill was $75 and that was during a heat wave when we had 100+ temps everyday for 2 weeks and I was comfortable.