Chris Powell 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Options

Replies

• Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have spent the past hour or so printout out material from Chris Powell's website about his car cycling plans. I am hoping to start tomorrow, but it is confusing. I have not found where it says how the carb range for low carb days and high carb days. Also, I read somewhere that on low carb days that you only have carbs with breakfast - no other meal. That can't be true, can it?? I am a 45 year old woman about 4'11", and weigh 156. Can anyone recommend the number of carbs for low carb and high carb days? I am really desperate to find a plan that I can live with because I cannot stand being this weight any longer! I also need to find some EASY and QUICK recipes for chicken and beef meals to make this doable for me and my husband, as working full time and taking care of a 5 year old (AND fitting in exercise) doesn't leave lots of time for cooking!
    Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • daytondunn
    Options
    I am just getting started on this too and find the smartphone app to be really helpful. Although figuring out the menu was easier with the online Bode trainer. As for carb amounts, I'm not really counting carbs, just eating a reasonable serving size from the acceptable list. I also am not doing the shakes. I just bought some protein shakes from the store to try out first....

My first weigh-in will be Saturday. I will say, I had a terrible headache yesterday (day 2, low carb). He says that's normal for adjusting to the lack of carbs....Today has been better, hope tomorrow doesn't bring another headache!
  • daytondunn
    Options
    So my weigh in went well! Down 4.2 pounds; however, Saturday was a high-carb day and Sunday was my Reward day, so I'm sure I gained (I'm not weighing this morning!) BUT I'm trusting this plan that this will actually help in the long run. Firing up my metabolism for the low-carb days today and tomorrow. Saturday morning will be my next weigh-in, but I will probably not be able to wait that long! Wednesday is my next high-carb day, and those are the days he suggests weighing (after 2 low-carb days).
  • kcalhoun7
    kcalhoun7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 4.2 pounds! I too started last week and weighed on Saturday. I was down 1.4 pounds. This was good for me because prior to this I was low-carb every day for over 2 months and struggling to lose any weight. Sunday was my cheat day too and it felt weird to eat foods that I haven't looked at for a long time. I do hope this plan for weight loss works, but I will wait till Saturday to find out. I was wondering if you aet 5 meals on Sunday? I wasn't sure if I was suppose to keep to the eating every 3 hours or not. Thanks for your thoughts. If you want, you can add me to your friends list and we can encourage each other. I am kcalhoun7. I wish you continued success!!
  • Kelly043
    Options
    Congrats on the 4.2 pound weight loss. I lost 3 lbs my first week! I am trying not to weigh myself too often, but I couldn't resist weighing myself this morning (Thurs), even though my next weight check is on Saturday. I'm up slightly from last weigh in but hoping its just normal fluctuation. I hadn't lost much at all when I checked mid-week last week, and ended up with 3 lbs lost, so hopefully the same thing will happen this Saturday. I am slowly stepping up the exercise too, doing DDP Yoga workouts, took my son swimming two nights ago and went walking at 5 am this morning with a few short bursts of jogging thrown in.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Aw man I really liked Chris Powell, I hope this isn't wacky.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Aw man I really liked Chris Powell, I hope this isn't wacky.

he's seems like a good guy with his heart in the right place, but IMHO, this is the part that he pushes on his TV show that i consider to be unnecessary broscience.

lots of people on here have lost 100+lbs without even once worrying about carb cycling.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like a "not to intense Atkins diet" but I'll always respect other people choices. :)
  • daytondunn
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 4.2 pounds! I too started last week and weighed on Saturday. I was down 1.4 pounds. This was good for me because prior to this I was low-carb every day for over 2 months and struggling to lose any weight. Sunday was my cheat day too and it felt weird to eat foods that I haven't looked at for a long time. I do hope this plan for weight loss works, but I will wait till Saturday to find out. I was wondering if you aet 5 meals on Sunday? I wasn't sure if I was suppose to keep to the eating every 3 hours or not. Thanks for your thoughts. If you want, you can add me to your friends list and we can encourage each other. I am kcalhoun7. I wish you continued success!!

Thank you! I don't expect the same result this week, but as long as it's going down and not up, I'll be happy. And I also sent you a friend request as you mentioned in your above post. I don't have any "active" MFP friends. My husband is trying this with me (not quite as strict as me though). He works odd hours and it's kind of a tough schedule to keep with the every 3 hours rule, but he's doing better than he was before, so he's lost a bit too.

As for Sunday, I did try to eat every 3 hours still. Keeping my portions in check on my "meals" and just doing a light snack in between. I wasn't on a clock, but I did eat my 5 meals. I didn't log it, as we eat a "buffet" type meal at church, so I chose a few things and then had a brownie for dessert. We went to the lake later that day and mid-afternoon I had a piece of fruit, which I counted as a meal. Then we had pizza. So, yes it was definitely a Reward Day, but I kept my portions balanced and I was really good and didn't have any soda. Drank my water, which was my first "promise" I made to myself from his book.

Keeping myself hydrated was/is hard for me, whether it be tea, milk, juice, soda...., so I started out promising 2 large cups a day. Nearly 2 weeks later and I find it easier. I always get 2, but most days 3. I even drank 4 one day. Each cup is 18 oz....so I'm feeling good about that since it was a struggle for me to get down of any kind of liquid!
  • daytondunn
    Options
    Congrats on the 4.2 pound weight loss. I lost 3 lbs my first week! I am trying not to weigh myself too often, but I couldn't resist weighing myself this morning (Thurs), even though my next weight check is on Saturday. I'm up slightly from last weigh in but hoping its just normal fluctuation. I hadn't lost much at all when I checked mid-week last week, and ended up with 3 lbs lost, so hopefully the same thing will happen this Saturday. I am slowly stepping up the exercise too, doing DDP Yoga workouts, took my son swimming two nights ago and went walking at 5 am this morning with a few short bursts of jogging thrown in.
    Thank you, and to you too! I am working on doing Chris' 9 Minute Missions from his book. Some are kind of tough for me, as I'm a heavier gal! But I modify them if I have to and keep a movin'! I don't log that exercise into MFP, and I need to get in something else, but I'm making myself do those Missions for sure.

Tomorrow's weigh-in day! :smile:
  • Kelly043
    Options
    Disappointing weigh-in day - I stayed exactly the same! Better than going up, but a bummer after a whole week of doing this. I know from previous experience not to let it de-rail my efforts. Even when I did medifast I had some weeks with no loss. I finally got Chris' book in the mail (the first one, not his latest), so I'll be able to really follow his plan more to the letter once I read it through. I definitely need to eat more vegatables on my low carb days. It can be hard to do when you're at work - not to mention the extra trips to the bathroom because of all the water!

Hope you have a good weigh-in.
  • daytondunn
    Options
    My weigh-in did not go as I hoped either.... I weighed mid-week (Wednesday), and had lost, but it came back! Since last Saturday though, it was about 1/2 pound loss. I am doing the 9 minute Missions in Chris' new book and they're tough (for me anyway). So I may be adding muscle and I've heard 2nd week of losing can sometimes stall, so here's to another week of staying on track!
  • britnilittle
    britnilittle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 and already down 4 lbs!
  • rickintn1970
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not. But, I wanted to respond to those who are wondering how many carbs you should eat. I have seen on Chris' and Heidi's FB both to not worry about the numbers. As long as you are eating according to the plan, then you should be okay as long as you are making healthy choices.

So, let me break this down like Chris did in his book. This is the average per meal estimate

PROTEIN

Hand Portion 1 Palm
    Men's Portion 5 Oz
    Women's Portion 3 Oz

CARBS

Hand Portion 1 Fist
    Men's Portion 1 1/2 Cups
    Women's Portion 1 Cup

VEGGIES

Hand Portion 2 Fists
    Men's Portion 3 Cups
    Women's Portion 2 Cups

FATS

Hand Portion 1 thumb
    Men's portion 2 TBSP
    Women's Portion 1 TBSP

Each of the above are serving sizes. If you don't want to measure, use the hand portion to measure

Depending on what plan you want to go on, you can do an easy, classic, turbo, or Fit Cycle. You can go to his website to figure out which one would fit your needs. Go to this page and scroll to the bottom - http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/

LOW CARB DAYS MEALS

Meal 1: 1 Protein Portion plus 1 carb portion plus 1 vegetable portion
    Meal 2 through Meal 5: 1 Protein Portion plus 1 Fat Portion Plus 1 Vegetable portion at each meal

HIGH CARB DAYS MEALS

Meal 1 through Meal 5: 1 protein portion plus 1 carb portion plus 1 vegetable portion

REWARD DAYS

It is recommended that you do not go over 1,000 calories more than you eat on the other days. But, you are free to have what you want.

THE CONCEPT

The concept really makes sense to me. I was on low carb once before. I remember that every once in a while, I would have a high carb day if I quit losing. Also, to keep cravings down, I had a cheat day and it did not cause me to gain weight. So, that is why I chose this plan.

HOW MANY CARBS

As long as you are following the 1 carb portion at breakfast on low carb days and the 1 carb portion at each of your meals on the high carb days you are fine. The carbs are going to vary depending on what you. For example. A man can have 1 1/2 cups of a carb. On the recommended food choice list that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I chose skim milk, apples, and air popped popcorn

1 1/2 Cups Skim milk has 18 carbs
    1 1/2 cups chopped apples is 26 carbs
    1 1/2 cups air popped popcorn is 7 carbs

So, the carbs are going to vary. It is not the total carbs. It is the quality of the carbs you choose. I hope this helps :)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bumping...
  • iuia
    iuia Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. I am new here...I understand pretty good english, but have o problem with speaking (writing), so sorry for eventual mistake.
    I didn't read Chris Powell's book, but trying to keep his diet.

I think...calories are important too. I'm trying to combine the calories value with carb values.
    After I read this topic, I have a problem...veggies have carb, too. Sometimes veggies have more carb than fruits...This carbs are not important? When I plan my meals, I don't add this carbs at my carb count as they are from veggies?
    Sorry for the eventually mistakes...I hope somebody will help me...
  • ferra11
    ferra11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chris has come out with a new carb cycling plan that is way more specific and comes with a free app for smart phones. Instead of the every other day cycle, this new one operates on a 2 low carb days, 1 high carb day, repeat, then the 7th day is a guilt free day. I started this program less than a week ago and am already down 8.1#! WIN.

Is that the Turbo cycle??
  • ferra11
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not. But, I wanted to respond to those who are wondering how many carbs you should eat. I have seen on Chris' and Heidi's FB both to not worry about the numbers. As long as you are eating according to the plan, then you should be okay as long as you are making healthy choices.

So, let me break this down like Chris did in his book. This is the average per meal estimate

PROTEIN

Hand Portion 1 Palm
    Men's Portion 5 Oz
    Women's Portion 3 Oz

CARBS

Hand Portion 1 Fist
    Men's Portion 1 1/2 Cups
    Women's Portion 1 Cup

VEGGIES

Hand Portion 2 Fists
    Men's Portion 3 Cups
    Women's Portion 2 Cups

FATS

Hand Portion 1 thumb
    Men's portion 2 TBSP
    Women's Portion 1 TBSP

Each of the above are serving sizes. If you don't want to measure, use the hand portion to measure

Depending on what plan you want to go on, you can do an easy, classic, turbo, or Fit Cycle. You can go to his website to figure out which one would fit your needs. Go to this page and scroll to the bottom - http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/

LOW CARB DAYS MEALS

Meal 2 through Meal 5: 1 Protein Portion plus 1 Fat Portion Plus 1 Vegetable portion at each meal

HIGH CARB DAYS MEALS

Meal 1 through Meal 5: 1 protein portion plus 1 carb portion plus 1 vegetable portion

REWARD DAYS

It is recommended that you do not go over 1,000 calories more than you eat on the other days. But, you are free to have what you want.

THE CONCEPT

The concept really makes sense to me. I was on low carb once before. I remember that every once in a while, I would have a high carb day if I quit losing. Also, to keep cravings down, I had a cheat day and it did not cause me to gain weight. So, that is why I chose this plan.

HOW MANY CARBS

As long as you are following the 1 carb portion at breakfast on low carb days and the 1 carb portion at each of your meals on the high carb days you are fine. The carbs are going to vary depending on what you. For example. A man can have 1 1/2 cups of a carb. On the recommended food choice list that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I chose skim milk, apples, and air popped popcorn

So, the carbs are going to vary. It is not the total carbs. It is the quality of the carbs you choose. I hope this helps :)
    Did you go by the first book or the second book?
  • ferra11
    Options
    Chris has come out with a new carb cycling plan that is way more specific and comes with a free app for smart phones. Instead of the every other day cycle, this new one operates on a 2 low carb days, 1 high carb day, repeat, then the 7th day is a guilt free day. I started this program less than a week ago and am already down 8.1#! WIN.

that's great..I was thinking of trying it....how have you done so far?
  • rickintn1970
    Options

PROTEIN

Hand Portion 1 Palm
    Men's Portion 5 Oz
    Women's Portion 3 Oz

CARBS

Hand Portion 1 Fist
    Men's Portion 1 1/2 Cups
    Women's Portion 1 Cup

VEGGIES

Hand Portion 2 Fists
    Men's Portion 3 Cups
    Women's Portion 2 Cups

FATS

Hand Portion 1 thumb
    Men's portion 2 TBSP
    Women's Portion 1 TBSP

LOW CARB DAYS MEALS

HIGH CARB DAYS MEALS

REWARD DAYS

THE CONCEPT

HOW MANY CARBS

Did you go by the first book or the second book?

This was the second book