Why such hate for running or cardio?

Options
I UNDERSTAND that tons of cardio alone will not make you fit & give you those incredible results that lifting weights will. BUT, why such hostility from people that hate cardio?

I love my runs, it really helps me keep a level.. semi-normal, anti-aggression mood throughout the week. I do about 3 runs a week anywhere from 12-20 miles on average for all 3 runs. It really annoys me when someone who doesn't do any cardio verbally attacks my choice to run. Yes, I know I have to lift weights and do squats.... I do all of the above. I cross train and cross train.... I do weight training & calisthenics 5 times a week, run 3.

So anyway... I agree that the people who only utilize the treadmill & elliptical are rather annoying.. but why get so defensive? I think fitness is a journey and we all have to find our way. Some of us will pound the pavement and get little results, others will see the light.

Point being.. why does it make people so crazy? Cardio isn't THAT bad, its mostly therapy for me. I just don't understand.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anybody bash cardio on here. I've seen people suggest that people who do only cardio should pick up weight training, but they're not mean about it. There's nothing wrong with cardio, I personally do little to no cardio, but that's personal preference.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anybody bash cardio on here. I've seen people suggest that people who do only cardio should pick up weight training, but they're not mean about it. There's nothing wrong with cardio, I personally do little to no cardio, but that's personal preference.

What AJ said. It's more of an issue when a runner believes that running is "better" or the lifter thinks lifting is "better" It's about the journey.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I hate distance running because I'm not good at it. Honesty. I do love me some hill sprints though.

I hate traditional forms of cardio because they're boring (to me).

Do I think YOU should hate running or cardio? Not if you don't.

And I think a lot of people have messed up ideas about what cardio does for your body from an aesthetic standpoint. It gets really annoying hearing people talk about how running "toned up" their legs. Um, no. That's not how it works.

But other than that, my attitude is you do you, and I'll do me.
  • CAME1
    CAME1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate distance running because I'm not good at it. Honesty. I do love me some hill sprints though.

And I think a lot of people have messed up ideas about what cardio does for your body from an aesthetic standpoint. It gets really annoying hearing people talk about how running "toned up" their legs. Um, no. That's not how it works.

Ditto
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah I guess its just a reflex reaction to the .. initial ..ive got to lose weight so I need to run or kill myself with some kind of cardio

people just want to let people know there are other options.. most important is diet.. you cant outwork a crappy diet with cardio or lifting

does the lifting only crowd sometimes get a little dogmatic? yes.. but also the cardio only crowd has their back up at times.

they think they can get body recompositon from cardio and that's not the case, but there is nothing wrong with cardio and its great for fat loss.. It just depends on what your goals are

I think the biggest battle is with females (sorry) who want to get "toned" .. better word is body recomp and think running alone can do that and if they pick up a 10lb dumbbell they will become Arnold shwartenegger

its balance.. running is easier for me and I have to push myself to lift many times,, but its worth it, but I don't wanna give up my running either ;) its fun racing 5ks and maybe longer.. and I am never gonna be a muscle man

Balance, and Goals
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    Preference and goals. I hate running but I do other cardios!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

tumblr_m5lhguKUSP1r99wpco1_400.gif
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Fitness beliefs seem to cause almost as much insanity as politics or religion. People want others on their "team". Any deviations from the belief system will force them to try and convert you or mock you. Why this is so I do not know. People are strange.

Cardio is a powerful tool for burning fat. My primary form of exercise is lifting, but I use walking, running, sprinting, biking, etc. to burn calories. Yes, cardio CAN have negative effects, but so can anything else.

Do what works for you and what you enjoy...Haters can suck it.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmsvsnCPmh1rb0rhmo1_400.jpg
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i don't think they bash cardio so much as we get people on these forums that are looking for an end result that will only happen if they incorporate weights or heavy lifting at some level.

running and all cardio is a very valid exercise and it's great for you and many people do just that...just run...

but it creates a body that is for the most part slim and not muscular...so when people say I want that booty, or that set of arms or that type of body...and they do JUST cardio...not going to happen...

you need to add weights...

I'm sure there are lots of people who just do cardio and are thrilled with their results....but the happy ones are the quiet ones right?

so you don't hear from them as much...to offset the perceived "hate cardio" posts.

that's all.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) I find cardio for the sake of cardio to be boring as sin. Any time spent running is time I spend wishing I were dead.

2)
    I agree that the people who only utilize the treadmill & elliptical are rather annoying..

WTF??
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fitness beliefs seem to cause almost as much insanity as politics or religion. People want others on their "team". Any deviations from the belief system will force them to try and convert you or mock you. Why this is so I do not know. People are strange.

Cardio is a powerful tool for burning fat. My primary form of exercise is lifting, but I use walking, running, sprinting, biking, etc. to burn calories. Yes, cardio CAN have negative effects, but so can anything else.

Totally this!^
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy & I enjoy running. They seem to both have their own psychological benefits. After a good run, I feel very peaceful & zen-like. When I'm super stressed, I always go for a run, even just a short one & it always helps. After a great strength training session, I just feel like a badlazz & I really respect what my body can actually do. I'm doing more high incline walking now as cardio to help me with some of my "trouble areas" (thanks, bodybuilding.com!) But I enjoy both. ;)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the best, natural anti-depressant there is. I've been doing it almost every day for a year and won't ever give it up. You have my full support. :)
  • BrittanyAnnL
    BrittanyAnnL Posts: 140
    Options

I think you probably nailed it.

I was just curious if it bothered everyone else. It bothers me. I get sick of the term "cardio bunny" or people who just assume because I run, that is all I do.

& its not just on MFP. Cardio bashers are everywhere lol.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    People bash lifters as well, it's just that we don't cry about it.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    BrittanyAnnL Posts: 140
    Options
    I lift heavy & I enjoy running. They seem to both have their own psychological benefits. After a good run, I feel very peaceful & zen-like. When I'm super stressed, I always go for a run, even just a short one & it always helps. After a great strength training session, I just feel like a badlazz & I really respect what my body can actually do. I'm doing more high incline walking now as cardio to help me with some of my "trouble areas" (thanks, bodybuilding.com!) But I enjoy both. ;)

Ah! I love the incline walking as well! Treadmill sprints are my all time favorite but nothing beats a slow steady run when you are in a bad mood. lol.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I agree that the people who only utilize the treadmill & elliptical are rather annoying

Umm, what???

Not everyone can get out side to do their cardio.

Not everyone wants to get outside to do their cardio.

Right now where I live it's very hot and very humid. If I'm not trying to swat away deer flies then I'm being chased by horse flies and eaten by mosquitoes. Not only that but I have a foot injury that has currently prevented me from doing any high impact type cardio which includes running which is something that I love to do.

As for people hating on cardio I don't really see that. I do see lots of posts where people are talking about how they stalled and wondering if they should lift too and the answer is usually yes. The ones who are "hating on" cardio are probably the ones who are pointing out what they don't like to do for it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    As a wise friend on my list once stated....

"Cardio has its place. That place is creating a deficit so I can eat more bacon."

I love to run because I just do (therapeutic, like you mentioned), and because it burns a ton of calories so I can go be a fatty afterwards.

Really enjoying my balance of cardio and lifting.

Do what makes you feel good.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    People bash lifters as well, it's just that we don't cry about it.

And hello d-bag who had nothing good to say, so said something ignorant. I am really crying, its intense. I just ca- ca- ca- cant stop.

Shut the f up.

38301551.jpg

And actually, his statement was absolutely correct. People bash lifters all the time on this site.