Being the "fat one"

Options
13»

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I always feel I'm the fat and ugly one when I'm out. I feel like people are staring at me. I know it's not true, but I grew up being called fat, ugly, and worthless, and it has stuck with me. Now that I just turned 30, I can only hope this decade is better than my 20s, because I let myself go for far too long. I'm really trying to change how I see myself, as I know that I get much more positive reactions from strangers (for the first time ever I've noticed guys flirting with me!!)when I'm more positive and confident.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Ugly men don't seem to be constantly reminded that they're ugly.

We call one another ugly all of the time - we just don't care what other people think of us - particularly other guys.

(Probably not universally true - but true for everyone I know.)

ETA - good lord, you're in your early 20's - lose your 50 lbs and go have a wonderful couple decades - you can have this discussion when you are 40+
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like you, but the older I get the less I give a crap about what society or people I meet think about me. Nowadays I'm like, b*tch I'm fabulous :smokin:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I guess I didn't want this to be a pity party for me, I had just been feeling upset the past few days about these things. I think hanging out with the somewhat shallow early-20s crowd has a lot to do with why I'm feeling more insecure and upset than I did a year ago. You've all really helped me calm down a bit.

This is exactly what came to mind when I read your post. Once you get into your 30s you will probably find that views change and people are not as shallow....or if you still find the same, then you need to really take a look at the people you hang out with and see if that is who you want to be around and associate with. When people settle down and leave the 20s behind they begin to shift in what is important and see what really matters because there is not so much to prove anymore when you settle down with someone. I know that it is not true for all 20 somethings and there are exceptions so take a look at yourself and love who you are regardless of what they say because you really are the only one who's opinion should matter.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I've been the heaviest one many times. But never have I ever been the LEAST ATTRACTIVE. Fat us not synonymous with ugly.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You look great to me!

But I understand, I doubt I will ever be the prettiest in the room. :sad:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You look great to me!

But I understand, I doubt I will ever be the prettiest in the room. :sad:

Come to my room baby!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    How do you handle being the least attractive woman you're around? I've felt like this all my life. I am tired of hearing men talk about beautiful women as a category I don't belong in. I am tired of (particularly straight) women going out of their way to make sure that I know that I have a pretty face.

I can't stand the fact that now that I'm in my early 20s, I feel like my looks are just going to keep going bad. Even if I lose all of my extra weight, all of my saggy skin and my (probably once I've lost 60 lbs) empty breasts would keep me from ever being one of those beautiful girls I had always hoped I'd grow into.

I have a wonderful boyfriend and he loves me and always thinks I'm gorgeous, but it's a fact that in society women are judged by their looks first and their character second. Ugly men don't seem to be constantly reminded that they're ugly. So why the hell do fat or homely women have to constantly be reminded of how unworthy of attention we are?

i'm 38....i look better, thinner and younger than I did in my 20's...

age is JUST a number....

maybe you should talk to a therapist.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yep! I feel for you. For whatever reason you some how started thinking of yourself that way. I have scar on my face from being assaulted. I always focused on developing my intellect and inner beauty. I always have always been taught that beauty never lasts. So I just try to do the best with what i have and not worry so much about what people think of how I look. It really is the inner you that matters most. But we can control how our body looks and have the body we want. I must admit, I LOVE make up, even though there are days when I don't wear any of it now. Never apologize for trying to be the best you. LOVE YOURSELF!

You are beautiful! Know it! :heart: :heart:

YES!! Age is just a number! I am 48.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why are you putting so much importance on being pretty? It's the result of the random interaction of your parents' DNA. Nothing more. Why people find that something to be proud of bewilders me. You can change your fitness and be proud of that. You can increase your knowledge of any topic and be proud of that, too. Your face is something you were born with and you cannot change it. It is neither a thing to be proud nor ashamed of.

Having said that, you have an attractive face. Now snap out of this ridiculous mindset you are in and go do something that will make you feel good about yourself.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, now that you're in your EARLY TWENTIES, it's all over for you. If you've ever looked at weight-loss pictures, as I'm sure we all have, some of the transformations are mind-blowingly unexpected. So many people who would have been considered unattractive end up as hotties. It happens all the time. Being young gives you an advantage that a lot of us don't have.

Looking at your pictures, I'm pretty sure there's a super hotty in there.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with being the ugliest/fattest women among my friends? I don't do anything. I just accept it.

Edited for clarity.
  • savgar32
    savgar32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a few days behind but hopefully this is still relevant to you. I've been feeling this way lately as well (hence my being back on this website). I'm 20 and am usually the heaviest in the room at any stupid college party/ friend gathering, whatever. I have a great boyfriend of almost 3 years who thinks I am sexy and beautiful and reminds me of that all the time but it really doesn't change the way I feel about myself. No one has been outwardly mean to me since I graduated high school but I feel like a lot of people don't give me the time of day because I'm overweight, which to a lot of shallow people means ugly. (That being said-, maybe this way of thinking makes me seem shy and unapproachable... but those are my own social problems lol) Point being- after some recent ~soul searching~ I've realized how I think I'm perceived probably has a lot to do with how I feel about myself. I'm at a low point in my self esteem and after weeks of watching murder mystery shows and eating potato chips I remembered that things don't have to be this way. I'm trying hard to disassociate weight loss with becoming beautiful. I know that I can become a much happier (and of course healthier) person. And when I've reached my goal and all the haters flock to tell me how sexy I am, I'm gonna remember that those are the *****es who I've known for the last year or two that never gave me a chance and I'm gonna tell em to walk! :glasses:
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I don't know where you are in terms of faith, but I believe you were made in the image of God, and God didn't make no junk! He made you just the way you are on purpose. You are a masterpiece, fearfully and wonderfully made. I hope you can learn to see yourself the way He sees you.