Very new, fairly depressed, incredibly lonely

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi5 for taking steps to be happy and for being brave to make a commitment to better yourself!!
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    Indulge in all the mfp altruism. Its very impressive to see all you folks from various ethnic groups, age brackets, and health levels, responding to that needs of this woman. Its a trip.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Then add me. I'm rude, sarcastic and an unrepentant smart-alec but I will be there to celebrate your victories with you and a straight-shooter who will call you on your BS if you try to quit on yourself. :happy: Let's do this.

^^^This goes for me too. ;)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to add me is free to go ahead. I'm also supportive when you do well, will call you on your *kitten* when you screw up, tell you to calm down when you freak over nothing (which happens far too often), and make sure you take time to rejoice in the little victories along the way. I've been doing this now a bit over 6 months and I'm nearing my goal weight, which I will probably adjust. I'm not going anywhere. Helping others helps me stay motivated and going too.

Good luck on your journey.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome, etc :)

You have taken the first step in a very great, long, fantastical journey!

I felt like you too but I started doing a Beachbody program, joined a Facebook group and joined MFP. Now all I ever read are motivational comments, suggestions and tips.

My life is filled with "YOU CAN FRICKIN DO THIS", "I'M WITH YOU", "PUSH PUSH PUSH"

Shaun T appears in my dreams now...........
  • nerdfitquest
    nerdfitquest Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me, and hopefully we can help each other out.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me if you like! There are a lot of great and helpful people here...
  • slice01
    slice01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey :) I'm new too. I know you've heard it already many times on here but WELCOME!! Check out all this support already! :). How cool is it that we're all real people and we're all working toward the same goal - fit and healthy lifestyles. :)
    Well done on taking the initial steps of finding a place like this to communicate with others - I'm sure it will work wonders for you mentally and hope it really does help you on your journey :).
    XX
  • slice01
    slice01 Posts: 12
    Options

OMG i have a love/hate relationship with Shaun T... did you finish his Insanity program? crazy stuff!!
  • i1984
    i1984 Posts: 27
    Options
    Welcome, I'll shoot you over a friend request.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

OMG i have a love/hate relationship with Shaun T... did you finish his Insanity program? crazy stuff!!

Yes ma'am. I did!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Starting is the hardest part. You are here now. Ping me a friend request if you would like some positive support :flowerforyou:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just want to offer my best wishes to you as you start your new path. Just some cautionary words:

1. You will encounter both positive AND negative people on here. You will have to learn to differentiate between the two.

2. Just because someone offers unhealthy advice with a friendly smile, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. Magic pills, fad diets, detox cleanses, and very low calorie diets DO NOT WORK. Don't let anyone try to convince you they do, because they don't.

3. Just becomes someone's "diet" or "exercise program" works for them, that doesn't mean it will work for YOU. You need to find what works for you, because everyone is different.

4. Don't throw out the "bully" or "rude" card, just because someone with more expertise and experience doesn't agree with your methods, or is telling you not to do "xyz". See #2 for further explanation.

5. Understand there are no quick fixes, and that exercise and eating right are the keys to success. You will NOT lose 15 lbs in one week, you probably won't even lose much weight to begin with. It took you a long time to put on the weight, prepare for a long time of working hard and eating right to lose the weight.

6. If you do wish to listen to the advice of people here, choose the ones who show significant weight loss by eating right and exercising. Ask them how THEY did it, because they know what they're doing, and they're worthy of the respect. NOTE: I do not wish to belittle those folks on MFP who have undergone GBS to help them lose weight, but this is the LAST option for many who have struggled to lose weight through other means. Listen to their stories, but take the advice of those who worked it off the hard way - because they have "walked the walk and talked the talk".

Good luck and get going - you can do this.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are incredibly brave to post this! :flowerforyou:
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    be kind to yourself. Best advice i can give you. You're worth taking care of.
    760974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, please feel free to add me as a friend also, I have only recently joined, I am about 3 weeks in and have managed to lose 6.8 pound. So far I love MFP and would like to have others to provide support to and to support me in my journey also!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have never struggled with my weight. It has been happily increasing, unchecked, for some time. :)

Two months ago I just decided to change that. I found MFP, began tracking, and the pounds have been steadily decreasing. It's like anything else: if you decide to do it, really do it, jump in with both feet and no regrets. Just make it happen. Tracking gets easy after a bit and since you're counting calories, not just eating "diet food" you don't have to feel cheated. It's all a big puzzle to find what you like, how to change your cooking in little ways, just to make the numbers add up.

I'm a breakfast fan. I love my bacon and eggs. Now an omelette has more veggies, less meat, no cheese. Minor adjustments all, but significant calorie reduction. And if I really want biscuits and gravy, lunch and/or dinner will be proportionally lighter that day. Or over the next couple of days. One occasional splurge need not be made up in one day. You're in it for the long haul.

You'll be just fine. If I can make this work, it can't be all that hard or annoying.

What he said!:heart:

There is so much help and advice available here, as well as humour and a few wackos (as with any online forum:bigsmile: ) You're not alone, but you also don't have to bore everyone around you with the "best low calorie snack I've found" and such like.

You can totally lose weight here. With MFP there's no need to set yourself unrealistic goals, or endure boring food or disagreeable exercise - that is what makes poeple give up on diet and fitness. This journey is totally doable, and it can open up whole new habits of eating and activity. If you'd told me six months ago I'd get up at 5.30 so I could do 45 minutes of Zumba before work (because it would be too hot later) I would have laughed at you or had you put away:noway: But that's what I did this morning. (yesterday I got up the same time and did 40 minutes of aerobics). In fact if you told me an exercise class would be my favourite hour of the week I would have edged away with a nervous smile:bigsmile:

Before this the most I'd ever aimed to lose was 14lb, and I'd generally stop around 10lb because I was bored and hungry.:ohwell: In 3lb I'll be on maintenance (unless my vacation is REALLY good:blushing: :bigsmile: ) but I'll still be here because I know "fat lazy me" is not going to go away that easily, she's still there saying "its too hot for a walk, have an ice cream instead". Feel free to add me for support for the long haul.:flowerforyou:
  • jameyrob28
    jameyrob28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Well done on joining. I've also struggled but I've found this quite a liberating and unshackled way to lose weight so keep focused and positive
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for longer than I'd like to admit, I need a swift kick in the pants just about every day. Feel free to add me too!
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    You mean when you lose then we become friends??? Ok, your pick, pistol, rifle, black powder. You should know.... I don't go easy on anyone... :wink: