Butter vs. Margarine

Options
I always thought margarine was better, so that is what I use on sandwiches, but now I heard somewhere that butter is better... Which is true?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Butter, in my opinion, is going to have more fat-soluble vitamins in it, especially grass-fed butter. I personally think it's better.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    all you need to do is look at the ingredients to determine which one is better. butter is better! real unsalted butter.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Butter.

Margarine may have less fat/calories, depending on the kind you buy. But, butter is all-natural while margarine is oil and chemicals. Plus, it tastes better, melts better, and acts the way you expect it to when you're cooking with it. Butter FTW every single time. Just use a little less if need be; still totally worth it.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I only use butter, no margarine. Oh, and I like ghee (clarified butter) too for cooking some things. I use it as a base for soup from scratch. Sautee vegies in part olive oil and part ghee.

Also, cannot imagine putting margarine on my popcorn (when i use butter the most). Yuck, yuck.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on what you mean by "better." Most butter has fewer chemicals, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. than margarine, so if you're trying to avoid those things, butter is "better." However, for people (like me!) who are allergic to dairy, margarine is better. :) Also, it depends on the brand you're buying. Some companies might load up their butters with all kinds of unnecessary stuff. I'd just read the labels.
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So now another question... The reason I don't like butter is because it is so hard to spread! What can I do to help with this? Leave it out for a bit before using it?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating fats I want the real deal, not something filled which chemicals, additives, etc. So it's butter all the way for me, especially in baking.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, the experts tell us that there is absolutely no reason to eat hydrogenated fats (which is what margarine is).

If you want something like butter that has less saturated fat in it, mix butter with olive oil (50/50%). Then you get your buttery flavor and some "good fats".
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So now another question... The reason I don't like butter is because it is so hard to spread! What can I do to help with this? Leave it out for a bit before using it?

Forgot to mention that my butter/olive oil suggestion covers this, as well, since olive oil has a lower melting temperature.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

You could zap in the the microwave for 7 seconds or you can leave it out. You might want to consider using ghee or clarified butter which can be stored at room temperature.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Most people just use a butter dish on the counter/in the cupboard to store butter for spreading. It takes a long time to go rancid. If you live alone you might want to just put a quarter or half stick in the dish.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

Buy yourself a butter dish and leave it out of the fridge. It doesn't need to be refrigerated unless it's overly warm, in which case it will start to melt.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Margarine can cause more health problems than it could solve. Real butter is made from cow's milk and not manufactured which also should bring up the idea that if it's natural then it has more natural micro and macro nutrients because it does. Margarine is not a good alternative, it might be lower calories, you might be used to the taste but it will never match up nutritionally to butter.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Butter is delicious. There is no contest.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    It kind of depends on what you mean by "better." Most butter has fewer chemicals, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. than margarine, so if you're trying to avoid those things, butter is "better." However, for people (like me!) who are allergic to dairy, margarine is better. :) Also, it depends on the brand you're buying. Some companies might load up their butters with all kinds of unnecessary stuff. I'd just read the labels.

Just out of curiosity, can you drink goat dairy? Goat butter might be a viable alternative for you.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

You don't actually need to refrigerate butter (unlike margarine). If you use it often, keep it on a butter dish (as long as it's in a cool place, because it can melt). I personally keep mine in the freezer because if it was just sitting on the counter looking back at me all delicious-like, I wouldn't be able to lose any weight!

ETA: I guess everybody else is a faster typer than I am! Sorry for being repetitive.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I actually just switched from margarine to butter this past month.
    It takes a lot less butter to get the right kind of taste in your food.
    I actually didn't pay much attention to what was in it, to be honest.
    It just tastes so much more... real, I guess, lol!
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options
    Great information love the olive oil suggestion! Never heard of ghee before but I might be checking that out also! Thanks for all the advice :smile:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I visit a dairy farm here in GA that makes fresh butter. Pack a cooler and buy it in bulk.

So delicious.

No contest.
  • Kenzie8010
    Options
    Butter is way better for you than margarine. Margarine is actually only 1 or 2 ingredients away from being considered plastic! And I know that plastic isn't good for you haha :)