P90X may be more dangerous than Crossfit

Options
124»

Replies

• CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    It's sad that more people don't use their common sense and avoid those kind of problems.

Especially when they are using a DVD set a home and no one is there judging them for taking a break or not pushing as hard as someone on the video tells them to when they are too exhausted to continue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's sad that more people don't use their common sense and avoid those kind of problems.

Especially when they are using a DVD set a home and no one is there judging them for taking a break or not pushing as hard as someone on the video tells them to when they are too exhausted to continue.

Indeed.

...which is one of the major benefits of having a live, in-person trainer to help avoid this problem...

...especially for people wired like me who have a tendency to push ourselves a little too hard in everything we do.

(Fortunately, I've found an answer that is working for me now (so far, at least) that helps me identify when I'm pushing too hard, while also providing just the right amount of encouragement I need so I don't "mail in" my effort.)
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

You should probably search the forums for all of the P90X threads and warn off everybody who is thinking about trying it. Make sure to join all of the groups, too, so that you can really spread your message to those who need to hear it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You should probably search the forums for all of the P90X threads and warn off everybody who is thinking about trying it. Make sure to join all of the groups, too, so that you can really spread your message to those who need to hear it.
    Definitely a good idea. Perhaps suggest walking up stairs as an alternative.
  • Dr_Kirk
    Dr_Kirk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Disagree with the title. Crossfit IS MORE dangerous than the P90X. Mainly because a lot of crossfit instructors and gyms don't emphasize form!! They push you to go faster, lift more and rush through the routines, yes you will lose weight and get more tone if you are doing it right, but I have seen a lot of patients with injuries from broken bones, dislocated shoulders, thrown out backs... but I've NEVER seen an injury from P90X or Insanity.

Rhabdomyolysis, isn't due to the P90X, it can be from alcohol, crushing injuries, seizures, amphetamines, over training! too much too fast! among other causes too...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This could of happened to the guy if he did any strenuous exercise... P90x, Crossfit, Sprinting, 5k, or a intense game of basketball.. he had an underlying condition and to relate it to a workout video is complete nonsense..
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Disagree with the title. Crossfit IS MORE dangerous than the P90X. Mainly because a lot of crossfit instructors and gyms don't emphasize form!! They push you to go faster, lift more and rush through the routines, yes you will lose weight and get more tone if you are doing it right, but I have seen a lot of patients with injuries from broken bones, dislocated shoulders, thrown out backs... but I've NEVER seen an injury from P90X or Insanity.

Rhabdomyolysis, isn't due to the P90X, it can be from alcohol, crushing injuries, seizures, amphetamines, over training! too much too fast! among other causes too...

You see a lot of patients with injuries from broken bones, dislocated shoulders, thrown out backs that are sustained doing crossfit??? Please provide the names of these boxes that are doing this so I can warn others about them.

Further, wouldn't we need to know the number of people doing each activity to truly assert which is "more dangerous"? (I honestly don't know the answer, but believe it isn't as simple as you are making it (or admittedly, as I may have seemed to have made it in the title of this thread...hence the "may be").
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with any exercise program or which is more dangerous than the other. The guy was out of shape and decided to jump head first into a vigorous workout routine without consulting a physician first. The lesson learned, don't jump head first into a workout routine when you are out of shape. Go get checked out by your doctor and ease into the routine.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ...which is why I so strongly recommend Crossfit to anyone looking for a fitness program that is custom-tailored to their current fitness level...easily scaled to suit each individual's needs under the guidance of trained professionals.

Exactly. And with just one look at Crossfit's two mascots, you know that temperate, measured, reasonable exercise is exactly what's on the menu at each independently owned and operated franchise.

rhabdoclown.baeef534.png
    6a00d8341cac1753ef01538e7b457b970b-800wi

I believe these two characters are referred to as Pukey the Clown and Rhabdo the Clown, in celebration of the moderate approach that crossfit takes to fitness.

Yes because a cartoon mascot is EXACTLY how one should judge a fitness program... a**hat.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    The biggest danger of ANY fitness regimen is...

THE PERSON DOING IT!

Know your damn limits people... if you Rhabdo out that's on YOU not the program.
  • wswilliams67
    Options

Pftht... day 40 of P90 = herniated C5/C6 disc from a push-up. 8 months of rehab. A DVD is poor substitute for a coach/trainer.

Day 46 of CrossFit = ZERO injuries and constant form correction and WOD scaling from coaches.

A gym is like anything else in life. DO YOUR RESEARCH!
  • djho16
    djho16 Posts: 1
    Options

I hear a lot of hate on Crossfit, but while I was there, I had a ton of help. The trainers were always on me about my form.

Any trainer advocating exercises such as kipping pull ups and dead lifts for speed is definitely not concerned with proper form. Period.
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    I just wanted to point out how expensive CrossFit is, and they don't have boxes everywhere. At-home programs can be cheaper, less time-consuming, and less embarassing for people. Not everyone can afford $150/mo or a half-hour drive each way, and many people are scared of looking fat and stupid when they're trying to get in shape.

Find what works for you, and don't be stupid about it. You can always up your intensity level more easily than you can recover from an injury.

EDIT: Not banging on CrossFit, just saying that it's not for everyone due to a variety of reasons. At-home workouts aren't for everyone either.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I hear a lot of hate on Crossfit, but while I was there, I had a ton of help. The trainers were always on me about my form.

Any trainer advocating exercises such as kipping pull ups and dead lifts for speed is definitely not concerned with proper form. Period.

Interesting first post. (Happy anniversary! :drinker: )

Now, about what you said...do you know what a kipping pull-up is? In what way do you consider it dangerous? And I have yet to run into a WOD that contained "deadlifts for speed"...but if I ever do, I am confident that the trainers' attention to form will not change. Proper deadlift mechanics do not change based on the number of repetitions or any perceived time constraints.

Finally, on what are you basing your absolutely certain conclusion?
  • pghtrader
    pghtrader Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Seems like it has more to do with the individual rather than the program.

The page below cites the same medical issue with someone only doing 30-40 sit-ups every day for a week (link to the medical review found on his site). That doesn't mean it isn't safe for the masses to do sit-ups.

http://www.joe-cannon.com/rhabdomyolysis-personal-trainers-exercise-review-symptoms-negatives-eccentric-fitness-bootcamp/

I have Power 90, P90X, and Insanity and having started each program I think that they get progressively more intense. I think that going from couch potato to Insanity or P90X is asking for trouble. Hitting Power 90 or even something like Couch to 5K would be a better introduction.
  • Dr_Kirk
    Dr_Kirk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, the individual .. I'm not against crossfit, I do it at times; I've been to good ones and bad. It's hard finding a coach that actually KNOWS the correct forms and makes their clients learn it etc.. crossfit gyms are popping up like starbucks here.

Yes, I see a lot of crossfit injuries.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yes, the individual .. I'm not against crossfit, I do it at times; I've been to good ones and bad. It's hard finding a coach that actually KNOWS the correct forms and makes their clients learn it etc.. crossfit gyms are popping up like starbucks here.

Yes, I see a lot of crossfit injuries.

"broken bones, dislocated shoulders, thrown out backs"...from crossfit??? Seriously, I'm having trouble picturing this...and certainly to the point that it would need to be for you to have noticed a correlation. (I mean, I suspect you would need to have seen more than just a few of these to draw your conclusion.)

I guess I'll have to add a disclaimer to my recommendations for others to look for a good crossfit affiliate near them...and that is unless they live in Texas.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Obviously the take home message here is to never exercise, its too dangerous.

Lesson learned.

LOL This made me giggle.
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    Whatever gym or fitness program they get involved with, people need ot have enough sense to

(1) Know their limits and not try to "tough it out" and go into bad form when they are too fatigued

(2) Make sure any coach or personal trainer they accept training from knows what they are doing and has a coaching style they can live with.

(3) If you are getting into heavy lifting, make sure you have a coach or other individual that knows proper form to "spot" you and make sure you are doing it right to reduce risks of injury