How much cardio do you do?

Options
12346»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I typically do about three days of pure cardio (running, cycling, etc.) with plyometrics and combination weight training exercises the other two, maintaining a very increased heart rate around 150-160. I tried purely lifting, because it seemed the more "manly" thing to do, and lost exactly 0 lbs. I see a lot of guys at the gym who lift heavy things, put them down, and then stand there for two minutes; that may bulk you up, but it certainly won't slim you any.

Lol, ok. That's why my husband is currently sitting at 7% BF on no cardio and lifting all the heavy things. Maybe your diet wasn't in check????

Yeah, I didn't mean it in reference to guys like your husband; I see plenty of guys that have beer guts benching 225 lbs and then standing around. I had several lbs to lose and that style of lifting coupled with the little time I had to do it wasn't burning sufficient calories to push me along. I'm still trying to lose weight and when I can get by BF down more (probably never 7% though, wow!), I'll probably tip towards more weights, but for the now the balance is actually working pretty well.

I still LOL at the "It may bulk you up, but won't slim you down" line......Diet controls that just as much as anything else.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I typically do about three days of pure cardio (running, cycling, etc.) with plyometrics and combination weight training exercises the other two, maintaining a very increased heart rate around 150-160. I tried purely lifting, because it seemed the more "manly" thing to do, and lost exactly 0 lbs. I see a lot of guys at the gym who lift heavy things, put them down, and then stand there for two minutes; that may bulk you up, but it certainly won't slim you any.

Lol, ok. That's why my husband is currently sitting at 7% BF on no cardio and lifting all the heavy things. Maybe your diet wasn't in check????

Yeah, I didn't mean it in reference to guys like your husband; I see plenty of guys that have beer guts benching 225 lbs and then standing around. I had several lbs to lose and that style of lifting coupled with the little time I had to do it wasn't burning sufficient calories to push me along. I'm still trying to lose weight and when I can get by BF down more (probably never 7% though, wow!), I'll probably tip towards more weights, but for the now the balance is actually working pretty well.

The slimming portion comes from a caloric deficit, cardio will not do that, cardio will allow you to eat more and still be in a deficit though. So if you cut calories, or burn that amount of cals you will be at the same place fat loss wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Mine is variable depending on where I am in my training cycle (i.e. pre-season, season, off-season); volume fluctuates. For example, when I'm ramping up for my racing season I'm putting in quite a bit...then taper off as I approach my race...then hold fairly steady during the season. All the while, I still lift, but lift differently than I do in the off-season. In the off-season I focus primarily on lifting; that's my priority...and might do 2-3 days per week of some good miles jogging or on the bike, but nothing intense that is going to take away from my lifts.

This basically keeps me switching stuff up every 3-4 months or so.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Many of those guys with "beer guts" who lift heavy then rest between sets aren't there to "slim down". They're there to build pure strength and muscle. They're likely not eating at a deficit, and probably eating at a surplus. This is my husband. I wouldn't say he has a beer gut by any means, but he cares more about his muscle mass/size and ability to lift the heaviest things there are than being ripped.

I currently run 2-3 days a week. I'm "training" for a 10K next week. (I say "training" because I've been a huge slacker lately, and haven't even gotten in one good 6 mile run! Yikes!) I lift three days a week using Wendler's 5/3/1 program, and my accessory work is "sort of cardio", as I call it, lower weight, higher rep exercises done back to back in a circuit fashion. If I have time, I'll hop on the treadmill for a walk after or do a made up cardio circuit, rounds for time. It's usually about 5 minutes, and includes things like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, push-ups, crunches, high knees, tuck jumps, etc., just to get a little extra in for the day.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My only form of exercise is walking outside. I walk 50+ miles each week, so I put in many hours each day. I have a computer job for 8 hours, but when I'm not there, I try to keep in motion.
  • GCC877
    GCC877 Posts: 4
    Options

I still LOL at the "It may bulk you up, but won't slim you down" line......Diet controls that just as much as anything else.

I know, I typed that quickly and didn't really vet what I had written very well. Of course it boils down to what everyone's personal goals happen to be. Personally I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs of chub around the middle, no competitions, no marathons, yet. Just like to be able to carry my daughter around without getting winded and not jiggle when I do it. Interesting to see all the different approaches/goals, etc. though.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    No cardio, will ruin my gains brah!

But no seriously, I do zero cardio. I really should start though but I hate it so much.
  • GodlessHeathen
    GodlessHeathen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week,anything from elliptical to spin whatever I feel like doing. I love cardio, it helps me de stress more than lifting. I lift because I feel I have too. I do cardio because I like it
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you look at it, either all or none of my exercise is cardio. All of my workouts are conducted in a circuit training format which basically is strength training done in a format that also makes it a cardio workout.

Beyond that I do jump rope when I feel like it, but not on any schedule.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I know, I typed that quickly and didn't really vet what I had written very well. Of course it boils down to what everyone's personal goals happen to be. Personally I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs of chub around the middle, no competitions, no marathons, yet. Just like to be able to carry my daughter around without getting winded and not jiggle when I do it. Interesting to see all the different approaches/goals, etc. though.

It's all good. It's just a fairly popular misnomer that heavy lifting will bulk you up, but actually diet controls how much you bulk. Weights control how strong you get

fallingfan.gif
  • neilmogs
    neilmogs Posts: 6
    Options
    cardio 1 day 30 min ,next day strength training lifting heavy 30 min ,repeat !
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Zero cardio... Unless I wanted to be like some people on here and count cleaning my house, washing my car and making food as cardio..
  • fitgirl09jessica
    Options
    I do about 30-75 minutes of cardio everyday depending on if I am pairing Insanity with my gym workout. But I never just run the whole time, I like to do Intervals of fast walking on incline to jogging to sprinting. I get bored easily lol
  • SoBodyMazing
    SoBodyMazing Posts: 159
    Options
    30 mins. 4 days a week
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No cardio, will ruin my gains brah!

But no seriously, I do zero cardio. I really should start though but I hate it so much.

Seriously? When people say "I hate cardio" it always reminds of those that say "I hate vegetables". With so many varieties of cardio exercise (or vegetables and methods to prepare them), how is it possible to hate them all.
  • emc100508
    emc100508 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had success with doing cardio 6 days/week, but I vary the intensity. I usually do 2 of the workouts at low-intensity for a longer time, like 90 minutes of walking my dog or walking on the (very slow) treadmill desk at work, and the others at 30-35 minute high-intensity mixing jogging, biking, cardio teasers (jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, etc.) and my favorite, the elliptical. I also do weights 3x/week. Cardio is important not just for weight loss but for overall health and longevity.
  • steveofb
    steveofb Posts: 3
    Options
    I am currently doing Insanity 6 days a week. I have to actually force myself to throw in the recovery disk and take the allotted day off every week. I love the energy it gives me all day and the general way I feel after accomplishing it. I have to stop myself from not doing it twice on some days. I still do a full body weight strength routine every other day to go with it.

The five gym options in town are all packed at the times that I would be able to go or are so expensive that I can't afford to go. The university ones I have access to are full of meat head frat boys (I was a frat boy, so it is okay for me to call them that). There used to be a weight room in the basement of the physics building that I loved to go to, but the professor that had it retired and the university turned it into a storage room. I hate running, biking, elliptical and rowing. Not my cup of tea.

I do walk a lot. I use walking as my self reflecting/meditating time. I understand how people do that with other long distance workouts.
  • twentytwentythree
    twentytwentythree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm doing about an hour of cardio, with 15 minutes of that being HIIT/Burst Training, about 4-5 days a week. I'm also beginning to incorporate strength training back into my routine, aiming for about 3 times a week (arms and chest, back and shoulders, and legs).