Are women really more shallow than men?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Of course, 30% of a survey size clearly shows a majority opinion.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I agree with the backpacks and socks (I love when guys wear fun socks with thier suits) - other than that they don't apply to me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that only applies to a woman into name brands desiring a husband who matches some random ideal.

Though, no backpacks.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You are old enough to know not to believe everything you read. Don't be silly.

I'm a french model.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I'm a french model.

Bonjour?
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I'm a french model.

Bon jour
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of woman you're looking to attract. If you want a woman who cares only about how much money you have to spend on her/how you look sitting next to her at the fancy restaurant/hotel/vacation destination you're on the right track.

Most magazines are designed to sell products.

QFVoHpT_zps50dd811f.gif
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I'm a french model.

Oh la la!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I notice none of this stuff!
  • taunto
    Options

I'm a french model.

Oh la la!

omelette du fromage
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This was an article in Men's Health. Please tell me that most women aren't this shallow when it comes to what they notice in a guy. Do you really hate back packs? Gloves...really?

1. Does the bag match the man?
    Backpacks are for schoolboys, and canvas messenger bags are for temps. If neither of those job descriptions matches yours (or you hope it won't for long), lay out for a fine leather bag.

2. Do I want to touch him?
    Thirty percent of women say cashmere—;the ultimate soft-touch fabric—leaves a lasting favorable impression of the men who wear it.

3. Does he know the time?
    If you want to know a guy, look at his wrist, says Nidhi Handa at Alpha Omega Jewelers in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She recommends small boutique watch brands. They show a guy who's "confident in his own decisions... that's sexy." she says.

4. Does the glove fit?
    "Having a nice pair of leather gloves conveys maturity to women," says image consultant Sarah Whittaker. "It also shows a bit more class and style." Invest in black and brown pairs, to coordinate with your shoes.

5. Is he a colorful character?
    Show a little flair around the ankles. In a Men's Health poll, almost a third of women said they wished men took more risks with color. A neutral outfit and a flash of vivid striped or patterned socks can make a subtle statement.

You haven't quite got the measure of "Men's Health" have you?

1. Buy an expensive bag (sponsored by people who make expensive bags)

2. Cashmere jumpers are soft, maybe you should buy one?

3. Buy an expensive watch says woman who sells watches.

4. "Image consultant" says buy pointless small items that coordinate with your shoes, thus keeping her in a job.

5. The association of British sockmakers suggest you simply don't have enough socks - you really *need* some snazzy ones.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    None of those hold true for me.

I think your magazine got paid by accessory/clothing companies to convince you to buy leather bags, leather gloves, cashmere shirts, watches & socks!

That sounds about right to me, lol!
  • taunto
    Options
    This was an article in Men's Health. Please tell me that most women aren't this shallow when it comes to what they notice in a guy. Do you really hate back packs? Gloves...really?

Backpacks are for schoolboys, and canvas messenger bags are for temps. If neither of those job descriptions matches yours (or you hope it won't for long), lay out for a fine leather bag.

Thirty percent of women say cashmere—;the ultimate soft-touch fabric—leaves a lasting favorable impression of the men who wear it.

If you want to know a guy, look at his wrist, says Nidhi Handa at Alpha Omega Jewelers in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She recommends small boutique watch brands. They show a guy who's "confident in his own decisions... that's sexy." she says.

4. Does the glove fit?
    "Having a nice pair of leather gloves conveys maturity to women," says image consultant Sarah Whittaker. "It also shows a bit more class and style." Invest in black and brown pairs, to coordinate with your shoes.

Show a little flair around the ankles. In a Men's Health poll, almost a third of women said they wished men took more risks with color. A neutral outfit and a flash of vivid striped or patterned socks can make a subtle statement.

You haven't quite got the measure of "Men's Health" have you?

1. Buy an expensive bag (sponsored by people who make expensive bags)

2. Cashmere jumpers are soft, maybe you should buy one?

3. Buy an expensive watch says woman who sells watches.

4. "Image consultant" says buy pointless small items that coordinate with your shoes, thus keeping her in a job.

5. The association of British sockmakers suggest you simply don't have enough socks - you really *need* some snazzy ones.

As much as I like (or used to at least) Men's Health, I do agree with this guy. They have some good articles and I'd say they're better than most other mens magazine but... in the end, they still gotta make some bucks.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, is that a serious article because honestly that seems like odd things to notice first.

I always notice a good smile and sense of humor first after that I take an all over look to see if he takes care of himself and then talk and see what his personality is like. I do not base it off what he is wearing hahaha.... with the exception of a sexy bearded built lumberjack, my clothes melt at the sight of those.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That's probably one of dumbest articles I've ever seen.

I guess if you're superficial and you look for men made of money only, this might fit.

Personally, I like a guy that showers everyday, has a nice sense of humor, has confidence and is nice to me, and more importantly, he doesn't talk down to the wait staff and other people in the service industry. Those things right there are things that make ANYONE a desirable person.
  • RobertaDub
    RobertaDub Posts: 21
    Options
    I just really did laugh very loudly at those things! I mean honestly! What kind of superficial twit notices that kind of stuff???

Personally, and I am 100% honest here, I look at a guys nose 1st as I love a good nose ha ha haaaa. So he could be wearing a bin bag but if his nose is good then score!!! But in fairness, i genuinely find funny guys to be really attractive so again; make me laugh and i couldn't care less what you wear, carry, tell the time with.
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here's my take:

I work with a lot of programmers. They have leather bags, backpacks, and messenger bags. I really don't care. I know you're packing a laptop. Show me the specs of the laptop if you want me to be impressed.

Why do I need to touch him?

If you need to know the time, check your cell phone. If it's an Apple, he's not worth my time.

4. Does the glove fit?
    Leather gloves? Bring the car up Jeeves! Unless he has a horse and knows how to rope, he shouldn't have gloves.

Colorful sweater and socks creep me out. Buy "real" clothes.

*Edited to remove the quotes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also just want to add (since some ladies have said no backpacks) that backpacks are fine by me. Back packs are very useful. We like to be active, go on trips, bike ride, camp. And we have kids.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You know what would be hilarious? If Men's Health was the kind of magazine that had ads for fine leather bags, cashmere clothing for men, boutique watches, and other fashion accessories for men like gloves and socks.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You know what would be hilarious? If Men's Health was the kind of magazine that had ads for fine leather bags, cashmere clothing for men, boutique watches, and other fashion accessories for men like gloves and socks.

Surely not?

:bigsmile: