Are women really more shallow than men?

Options

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like a guy that showers everyday, has a nice sense of humor, has confidence and is nice to me, and more importantly, he doesn't talk down to the wait staff and other people in the service industry. Those things right there are things that make ANYONE a desirable person.
    QFT
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    None of those hold true for me.

I think your magazine got paid by accessory/clothing companies to convince you to buy leather bags, leather gloves, cashmere shirts, watches & socks!

This^
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    well I have watches but otherwise I apparently am a failure
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1. Does the bag match the man?

Hmm... I have a Maxpedition Kodiak that I love. I also have a leather messenger-type bag, another of ballistic nylon, etc. But I mostly use the first one.

2. Do I want to touch him?

I wear burlap. Is that OK?

3. Does he know the time?

Victorinox Maverick II. Not a small brand, but a very good watch.

4. Does the glove fit?

How about leather work gloves for $9.99 from Home Depot? Does that count? 'Cause I got 'em.

5. Is he a colorful character?

My 4-year old little girl gave me red toenails when I fell asleep on the couch once. Hope that works...
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't know about what's on the list, but I will agree in my opinion that women are more shallow than men!!!! Especially when it comes to our looks. We care more than they do about how we look, what size we are, etc. than men do. Trust!!!! A woman will have a fit if they see a man arm in arm with a woman who might not be the best looking, or is not incredibly fit and wonder "what is he doing with HER"!!!! When that woman might be doing a lot more for them than just a piece of arm candy. most men don't care whether our shoes match our purse, or if our nail polish is chipped. We do....keep it real lol
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cheryl-cole-yes-gif5zjfd.gif
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA...Jesus GOD NO! I laughed through all of those. And I would like to point out that I have several gay male relatives who fall under all of those. So if women want all that, they should be dating my gay (they ARE awesome, so I can't blame them) relatives!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    One of my friends made a good point that girls complain about guys acting a certain way, but the girls did it to themselves. They were the ones that messed up the guys at some point. This being said perhaps someone in that girl's personal experience caused them to develop this habit... this applies to female and male.

--> With that said this characteristic is prominently an immature females through my observations.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Backpacks: who cares?
    Cashmere *is* nice to touch, as is silk, but neither would make me get involved or not get involved with someone.
    Watches: who cares?
    Gloves: who cares?
    Colorful: Many men could stand to use more color in their wardrobes, but again, it's not a reason to get or not get involved.

More important things: good hygiene, nicely dressed (nicely as defined by the clean and neat and appropriate for the activity)...(oh yeah, brilliance and humor--those are essential)
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Here's my list

1. Does he have a couple dollars in his "man purse"?
    2. Is he showered?
    3. Does he want to know the time if he's with me?
    4. By glove you mean condom, right?
    5. Does he have an open mind?

Ummm, I may be slightly shallow but aren't we all?
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I just notice their package.

I have both a nice package anndddddd a big cast :) How often u gonna find that combo?? :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    All I keep thinking is....

Wait, I've never seen a guy in cashmere!:huh:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I think your magazine got paid by accessory/clothing companies to convince you to buy leather bags, leather gloves, cashmere shirts, watches & socks!

Ditto.

The only one that is even a tiny bit true is the one about the socks. Not because I think "Oh wow, what a fashionable guy to be bold with colors," but because I think "Oh wow, those are fun socks; he seems like he has a sense of humor." The rest I wouldn't even think twice about.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't care what's he wearing. That isn't something that I look at. Honestly, what I found myself looking is if the guy has a nice six pack. *sweat drops.*

Oh and a face free of hair. I hate men with facial hair.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    This was an article in Men's Health. Please tell me that most women aren't this shallow when it comes to what they notice in a guy. Do you really hate back packs? Gloves...really?

Backpacks are for schoolboys, and canvas messenger bags are for temps. If neither of those job descriptions matches yours (or you hope it won't for long), lay out for a fine leather bag.

Thirty percent of women say cashmere—;the ultimate soft-touch fabric—leaves a lasting favorable impression of the men who wear it.

If you want to know a guy, look at his wrist, says Nidhi Handa at Alpha Omega Jewelers in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She recommends small boutique watch brands. They show a guy who's "confident in his own decisions... that's sexy." she says.

4. Does the glove fit?
    "Having a nice pair of leather gloves conveys maturity to women," says image consultant Sarah Whittaker. "It also shows a bit more class and style." Invest in black and brown pairs, to coordinate with your shoes.

Show a little flair around the ankles. In a Men's Health poll, almost a third of women said they wished men took more risks with color. A neutral outfit and a flash of vivid striped or patterned socks can make a subtle statement.

^^^There is nothing on this list that would attract me to a man.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Here's my take:

I work with a lot of programmers. They have leather bags, backpacks, and messenger bags. I really don't care. I know you're packing a laptop. Show me the specs of the laptop if you want me to be impressed.

Why do I need to touch him?

If you need to know the time, check your cell phone. If it's an Apple, he's not worth my time.

4. Does the glove fit?
    Leather gloves? Bring the car up Jeeves! Unless he has a horse and knows how to rope, he shouldn't have gloves.

Colorful sweater and socks creep me out. Buy "real" clothes.

*Edited to remove the quotes.

Marry me! :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This was an article in Men's Health. Please tell me that most women aren't this shallow when it comes to what they notice in a guy. Do you really hate back packs? Gloves...really?

Backpacks are for schoolboys, and canvas messenger bags are for temps. If neither of those job descriptions matches yours (or you hope it won't for long), lay out for a fine leather bag.

wouldn't notice, wouldn't care if I did notice. I mean WTF it's a bag. I don't think I can even recall what kind of bag my husband has, apart from the briefcase he has for work.
    Thirty percent of women say cashmere—;the ultimate soft-touch fabric—leaves a lasting favorable impression of the men who wear it.

Whether I want to touch a man has nothing to do with cashmere or any other fabric. Big muscles, a hairy chest and a nice beard makes me want to touch a man :love: . If he's wearing a stupid cashmere item of clothing (like how am I supposed to know if it's cashmere or some other fabric anyway?) then it covers up his big muscles and hairy chest.
    If you want to know a guy, look at his wrist, says Nidhi Handa at Alpha Omega Jewelers in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She recommends small boutique watch brands. They show a guy who's "confident in his own decisions... that's sexy." she says.

don't even notice. I don't remember what watch my husband wears. I can kind of vaguely remember different ones he's had over the years, it's actually quite possible that he currently doesn't wear one at all and gets the time off his phone like I do. That's how much attention I pay to these things.
    4. Does the glove fit?
    "Having a nice pair of leather gloves conveys maturity to women," says image consultant Sarah Whittaker. "It also shows a bit more class and style." Invest in black and brown pairs, to coordinate with your shoes.

actually, I think fitted leather gloves makes a man look like a professional thief. You know, not leaving fingerprints behind and all that. I'm pretty sure my husband doesn't have any.
    Show a little flair around the ankles. In a Men's Health poll, almost a third of women said they wished men took more risks with color. A neutral outfit and a flash of vivid striped or patterned socks can make a subtle statement.

I couldn't give a rats hairy behind about what bloody colour socks he's wearing. My husband has grey, brown and black socks and it's never even occurred to me that it's something anyone could even have a problem with. I mean they're socks FFS. If his trousers are so short that you can see his socks, then maybe he needs to get new trousers. But knowing me, I probably wouldn't actually notice.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I didn't read "do this or women won't like you". Which would indeed be shallow. I just read a list of a few things some women prefer, with most of the list being things I don't care about.

eta: Women's magazines make these lists as well. I don't think exceptional shallowness is a gender thing -- more of a product marketing thing.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

This, 100%

I don't wear a watch at all...I could write an article and say watches are for 'underlings' who must fear being late to work. The boss is NEVER late, no matter what time he arrives. Besides, if you want to know the time its displayed almost everywhere.

I don't wear dress gloves...and if I'm doing rough outdoors work I wear leather gloves, don't care what color but they usually come in tan, either deerskin or cowhide.

I don't carry a bag..... I don't think John Wayne did either. Why do men need to carry a bag these days?
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    All of that just sounds really stupid. Maybe they asked the wrong women, because I call bullsh!t.

Yep. They must have asked Carrie Bradshaw wannabes or something.