how long did it take

Options
How long did it take for you personally to see results in your own weight loss. I've been dieting for week/going to the gym and I see nothing, the scale sees nothing...I'm getting frustrated.

Replies

• kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a week! It can take weeks to see improvement.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    around three months in I saw it and others started saying they saw it... a week in it was hard to see anything
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Girl, I've been a vegetarian, and decreasing my portions for 4 months and nothing. I've been going to the gym for about 3 months and I haven't seen any scale changes. I've been a calorie counting for two weeks and nothing.

But there's no going back.

Look for other victories. I can run a mile now without wanting to kill myself...I've lost an inch off of my upper arms....And not to mention increased energy!

It's the little things. Just keep at it, your work will pay off. It'll happen. Maybe suddenly, or slowly, but you'll get there.
  • BossFat
    BossFat Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm going -700 kcal below BMR + exercise.

Weight scale: in a week
    In the mirror: probably in a month, based on earlier attempts to lose weight (permanently) :P

You'll get there! Just set the goals and follow them :-)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. There is no quick fix. Give it time.

Ask yourself this: did you add the weight quickly? If you didn't, why do you think it would come off quickly?
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bodywise im only just starting to notice the difference in the mirror and im nearl 2 stone down, clothes wise prob after the first ston, but I was lucky and the scales changed from week 1.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I see results every single day.
  • jennifermarie16144
    Options
    It takes about 6 to 8 weeks to see real results unless your losing a crazy amount of weight really fast which is unhealthy.
  • wicki1989
    wicki1989 Posts: 54
    Options
    I mean, from where I was, I saw 4lbs this week.. to me that's like nothing on the scale, but I guess it is something... and I can run a mile now without stopping so I guess those are my small victories for now.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, you'll see results before you know it. It took me a couple of months and about 30lbs.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4-6 weeks to actually see the difference myself. It took about 20-30 lbs lost for others to notice my change. BUT... I started feeling awesome much sooner than that.

Hang in there and be patient.
    :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    It will take time and it all depends on how well
    you avoid unhealthy things and how much you
    move to burn your stored fat. I think it was several
    months for me but I'm older too.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    For me, the scale is typically a "week behind", sometimes up to a month behind. Meaning, what I do this week will show up next week. I can eat really well this week and the scale won' budge, but next week it will (sometimes, sometimes not, the body is weird).

My weight fluctuates, even if I am consistent on my eating and exercise habits. Just the way it is, but I've learned just because I see a 3 pound increase today doesn't mean it is there forever. Keep doing what I am doing (unless it's unhealthy haha) and I will see results.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I mean, from where I was, I saw 4lbs this week.. to me that's like nothing on the scale, but I guess it is something... and I can run a mile now without stopping so I guess those are my small victories for now.

4 pounds is a LOT in a week! You really should shoot for 1-2 pounds max. Slow and steady is the best way to do weight loss. It sucks to wait on it but the long term results will be better if you can be patient.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It will take at least 3-4 weeks. But think to yourself...if you are eating healthy and exercising. Then you will already be better off than you were before. Just be patient and you will be happy with what you see in a few weeks. Good luck. :)
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    absolutely, nobody's more guilty of giving up and yo-yoing like me. I think for me it takes about 3 weeks to notice, but you have to do it all. Keep up with the right calorie range, and don't kill yourself working out, but make sure you get a workout at least 5 days/wk. Also, maybe take progress pics.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    For me it took about a month before I lost anything (scale wise), but it probably took about 3 weeks or so to notice my clothes feeling a bit looser.

Don't get frustrated so early. Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am down almost 50 lbs and I just started noticing a difference when I look in the mirror now. I started in January. However, I know it was making a difference long before now. My clothes got looser, my fitness level increased, I can see a bit of muscle peeking out from under the fat that is still there. So I say don't focus on the scale or what you see in the mirror, take measurements, pay attention to how you feel when you are working out- do you feel stronger, can you walk/run (or whatever cardio you do) longer, with less gasping for air (or maybe that was just me when I started). It can't be all about the # on the scale. And one week is way too soon to start seeing a difference. It will also depend on how much you need to lose. I'm not even 1/2 way there yet, so I have a lot to lose. It will take longer to show.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You say you lost 4 lbs. so far. Pick up something that weighs 4 lbs. and that might put it more in perspective. Any loss is wonderful and it might take awhile to actually see it...but keep working at it and it will follow! Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    How long did it take for you personally to see results in your own weight loss. I've been dieting for week/going to the gym and I see nothing, the scale sees nothing...I'm getting frustrated.

Ummm....more than a week. It looks like you lost a Lb in that week...that's good...my average loss when i was losing was around 1 lb per week. You need to adjust your expectations; you need to wrap your brain around the fact that this is a marathon and not a sprint...it's slow going and takes a lot of dedication and perseverance. Nothing about this is linear...you will have weeks where you lose a good chunk...then nothing...then something small...then seemingly weeks on end with nothing and maybe even some gains (water). You really have to take the long view here...1 week is a drop in the preverbal bucket.

It took me about 9 months to drop 40ish Lbs and get something even remotely resembling my old fitness back...but I have a long way to go in RE to my fitness..