Anyone know any good hunger suppressants?

Options
Since I started this entire weight loss journey, my body has been about FOOD FOOD FOOD! Normally I have no appetite, so this is extremely strange to me. And I'm finding it hard to control my hunger, so a suppressant would be fantastic. I want to eat how much I'm supposed to, not MORE!! And since my metabolism isn't quite up to par yet, I don't think. So any advise on that one would be amazing too. THANK YOU!! (:

Replies

• wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Black coffee and ice water are some good ones- you can also try eating less processed food and artificial sweeteners! It's hard to go over on cals when you're snacking on carrots and the like and you can eat a stupid amount throughout the day
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on processed foods, sugars, and carbs in general has helped me TONS with hunger. It doesn't have to be "low" carb per se, just cutting down on your average intake until you notice.

Drinking water and tea helps too.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Black coffee and ice water are some good ones- you can also try eating less processed food and artificial sweeteners! It's hard to go over on cals when you're snacking on carrots and the like and you can eat a stupid amount throughout the day

Oh, yeah, artificial sweeteners, that's a good one too!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis (i.e., eating low carb, less than 50 g per day) is a very good appetite suppressant.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    food, in general, suppresses hunger.
    more specifically, fiber, fat, and protein - not necessarily in that order
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? What is your daily calorie goal? Maybe reduce your deficit, or get more of your calories with protein, fats, and fibre (vs other kinds of carbs).

Coffee works a bit but makes you jittery if you haven't eaten enough
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've always found eating a lot more often in a lot smaller meals helps. Eating 5, 6, 7 times a day and I've never been hungry, even on 1200 calories.

That and drink water and lots of it.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    The obvious one is of course, make sure you're drinking enough water. I know it's been said a million times, but it's always nice to throw it in. :D Try to make sure you're eating foods that are going to keep you fuller, longer. There are lots and lots of posts about healthy foods that keep you satisfied for a long time. I've also found that while eating several meals through the day doesn't make me lose weight faster, it does help to control my hunger. I know that some people have said coffee and I usually have a warm glass of milk at night (or hot chocolate if I have enough calories left) to control my late night snack urges, but you want to be careful that you don't become dependent on that. Also, are you working out? I've found that those extra 300 or so calories make eating enough food to keep me satisfied a lot easier. Hopefully some solutions will find you. Nobody wants to feel hungry! You want to feel satisfied and healthy!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
  • michellechawner
    Options
    food, in general, suppresses hunger.
    more specifically, fiber, fat, and protein - not necessarily in that order

^^This
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Food.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming? Perhaps you just aren't eating enough. Are you working out? Can you make your diary public? What are your goals, and how many pounds per week to lose have you set MFP for?
  • blondeinvutton
    Options
    Are you eating enough? What is your daily calorie goal? Maybe reduce your deficit, or get more of your calories with protein, fats, and fibre (vs other kinds of carbs).

1,450 is the goal they gave me. I don't really drink coffee, but I might start. And I do try to work out at least 15-30 minutes a day. I'm also on my feet the majority of the day at work.

I do eat food. I try and make sure I have plenty of protein, and I would love some more fiber in my diet.
  • blondeinvutton
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming? Perhaps you just aren't eating enough. Are you working out? Can you make your diary public? What are your goals, and how many pounds per week to lose have you set MFP for?

One pound per week. 1450 is what they have set. So far I've stayed a couple calories beneath that everyday.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use essential oils to help- lemon, grapefruit added to water seems to help. I also have added protein powder to my water and that helps. Veggies are my other source of hunger suppressant. Carrot sticks or celery are good snacks between meals.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For some people, exercise is a hunger suppressant. Half an hour of running/proper circuit training, and I'm normally not hungry for 2-3 hours.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    food
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • kenzie0884
    kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you eat things that are low in calorie, you can eat all day. An egg is only 70 calories, watermelon is like 15 depending on how much you eat, carrots are only 35 for 8 of the baby ones, spring mix is 20 calories for 2 cups. Honestly though, I love cashews. I can eat a handful, and won't get hungry for a good 2 hours or longer. Yes they are higher in calorie and fat, but if I am eating less because they are keeping me satisfied, then I am saving calories, fat, sugar, etc...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

1,450 is the goal they gave me. I don't really drink coffee, but I might start. And I do try to work out at least 15-30 minutes a day. I'm also on my feet the majority of the day at work.

I do eat food. I try and make sure I have plenty of protein, and I would love some more fiber in my diet.

I think 1450 might be low, if your job is active especially. Try eating 15% less than what your maintenance calories should be as outlined here (i.e., the BOTTOM number, the 'total energy expenditure):

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced <- note, the default setting is male

and also get in 30-45 mins a day of at least 'moderately vigorous' activity. (It'll probably be worth around 200-300 calories, depending.)

If you do it this way, on MFP, you wouldn't log your exercise or eat your exercise calories back.

Like another poster, I found cardio to help reduce my appetite. Definitely do some kind of resistance training.