You will weigh *this much* in 5 weeks..

Has this ever actually been the case for anyone? Mine usually says I will be down quite a bit in 5 weeks.. it gives me hope but just wondering if anyone has ever gotten to that goal

Replies

• mferoli
    mferoli Posts: 13 Member
    I have been wondering that myself!! I have been at this about 5 weeks, and I do find that little footnote encouraging, but I wish I had written down or saved what it said 5 weeks ago so I would know if it's true!!
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    I don't know. I made a blog the other day and wrote down the weight I will apparently be in 5 weeks so I can remember and check to see if its true. lol. I sometimes wish it would say 2 weeks instead of 5.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Mine is usually right on, on days I don't workout. Once I enter exercise it estimates waaaaaay lower than accurate.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Actually, mine tells me that I will be *up*, but I'm losing. It's kind of annoying.
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Im excited to see if it will be accurate :D Cause mine says I should be down 10-12 pounds if I dont work out and 15 if I do.. in 5 weeks? Crazy
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Really? so weird!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    I find that comment very annoying. It is different every single day because "5 weeks" from today is different every day. It does not take any other factors into consideration.

It would make more sense if it told you how much you should weigh at the end of 4 weeks and then told you if you are on track for that loss as the days go by.
  • I've been dealing with just that and have figured out that you have to do a final calculation yourself.

Subtract the cal deficit required for the desired weekly weight loss from "Remaining" on the "Food" page. If you don't you want lose anything.

Example:

1400(BMI) + 1100(burned) - 500(a pound/week) = 2000. 2000 is what you can eat/that day to stay on track.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    It's not linear in real life and linear is what you get from the calculation which should be for guidance. Having said that, while not exactly week per week but in nearly two months I lost pretty much what was "predicted" by MFP.
  • I've been dealing with just that and have figured out that you have to do a final calculation yourself if you don't customize your goals.

Subtract the cal deficit required for the desired weekly weight loss from "Remaining" on the "Food" page. If you don't you want lose anything.

Example:

1400(BMR) + 1100(burned) - 500(a pound/week) = 2000. 2000 is what you can eat/that day to stay on track.

If you customize your goals, all you've got to do is subtract your desired cal deficit from your BMR and enter the results in the field. When your "Remaining" reaches 0, that's all you can eat that day and stay on track.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    If you have done all of your calculations correctly and everyday was exactly the same (eating, exercising, etc.) then you would lose, but then again, your weight would actually be going down within those 5 weeks, so it would take fewer calories to get the same loss, and well, no I don't think you would end up losing as much as it says unless you re-calculated as you lost, but kept the same deficit. That made a whole lot of sense, right? :)
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    For me, it's almost right on. I keep notes with dates and projected weight. Of course I only note the days where i've eaten the exact right amount of calories that MFP gives me. If I've under- or over-eaten, then I don't note it, bc obviously those numbers will be off. When I first joined MFP I thought, there's no way these predictions can be right, but to my surprise, FOR ME, they are pretty accurate.
  • ryanosgood
    ryanosgood Posts: 28
    It's nice to know, but based off from the specific nutrition and exercise for the day. Since every day is different for me at the gym - from running to strength training the number fluctuates by about 20 pounds. Overall though, it feels good to begin to see some of those numbers...
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    I always wondered too! The other day I actually saw that one of my mfp friends wrote down what the weight would be in her food notes. I thought that was a great idea! So I just started writing it there as well. Now I will know and you should try it and see! :drinker:
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    I put it in my food notes when I complete my entry everyday. I find it varies a lot for me and if you haven't weighed in for a while it'll be off. Neat to see but kind of useless information I think.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    It was pretty accurate for me when I had more weight to lose. Now that I am closer to my goal the numbers are way off. I wish they were accurate though lol
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Mine used to always says I will gain in 5 weeks because I was eating based on TDEE.. lol
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    I find it useless. I exercise 2 days then take 1 recovery day. So for 2 days that number is too ambitious, the 3rd day that number is too conservative.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Actually, mine tells me that I will be *up*, but I'm losing. It's kind of annoying.

I don't use it for that very reason. It has always underestimated how easily I lose weight, so it's pretty pointless for me.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    It's only based on that day. I wish it was more of a trend. So maybe look at your past 30, 60, or 90 day history and say, based on the last 30 days of logging, in 5 weeks, you will weigh X. That would be more useful. A one day trend is ridiculous.
    ^^^ this