One of the sad realities of being obese

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
So for my daughter's Bday, we went to Discovery Kingdom to party. We're getting on a ride and a few seats from me is a father and son combo who were both obese. This ride required shoulder harnesses and while the son barely fit, the father obviously wasn't. So watching the father leave and saying sorry to his son (son was correct height limit, but had to be accompanied by an adult) because he couldn't ride was sad to watch.
And that wasn't the only incident. I saw this happen several times on some of the faster rides. It's gotta suck when people really want to experience the fun, and yet can't because of physical limitations.
Just another reason why America needs to wake up when it comes to how much over consumption is changing people's lives.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Every time a "worst fat moment" thread is posted half the replies are about being too fat to ride a rollercoaster. I bet it's only a matter of time til a plus size theme park opens
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    But maybe if that is the moment that makes someone realise they have to do something for their own sake and the sake of their children - is that not a good thing? - it is a bitter, humiliating pill to swallow but has probably triggered a lot of success stories?
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go in one of these last year because the maximum weight for going in them was 145 lb :c

stock-photo-zorbing-air-bubbles-on-water-marina-resort-lake-in-trakai-most-visited-tourist-place-in-lithuania-103749515.jpg

I think they're intended for kids, but I REALLY WANTED
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go in one of these last year because the maximum weight for going in them was 145 lb :c

stock-photo-zorbing-air-bubbles-on-water-marina-resort-lake-in-trakai-most-visited-tourist-place-in-lithuania-103749515.jpg

I think they're intended for kids, but I REALLY WANTED
    they look fun!!! cant u find bigger ones? xxx
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    That does suck. I remember a similar experience when I was a kid and my dad couldn't ride with me. I could have gone alone, but I didn't want to go alone.. I wanted to go with him. Sucked.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are right, it is a sad reality and I have many regrets of not being able to do certain active things with my boy as he was growing up. At least now, I will be able to be active with grandchildren!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    You would think it would be a *big* a wake up call when something like that happens. Sadly, that's often not the case.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    But maybe if that is the moment that makes someone realise they have to do something for their own sake and the sake of their children - is that not a good thing? - it is a bitter, humiliating pill to swallow but has probably triggered a lot of success stories?
    Me! *waves*

Last summer my husband and I went to our annual fair. We were standing in line to get on the Ferris Wheel and when we got to the front,the carny looked all embarrassed and said we would have to wait until "more people our size came along to balance it out."
    I was near 300lbs at the time, ditto the hubby. So we stood there for about 10 minutes while all the skinny teens got on... waiting for more chubby folk to get in line..."to balance it out". I was humiliated and decided two things right there:. 1.Not getting on a ride that rickety anyway. 2. Not spending another summer fat.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I want to lose weight is so that I can go to Alton Towers and go on all the rides without worrying I won't fit. Recently I wanted to go on some chairoplanes but didn't dare to in case they were too small (or, rather, I was too big)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If that's the moment, then yes it's good. But I'm betting only about 1 out of 10 would actually follow through with doing anything about it.
    It's not just amusement park rides either. Riding on planes and public transportation has got to be uncomfortable for both parties. It's sad that it takes an event for some to realize how big they have really gotten.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Every time a "worst fat moment" thread is posted half the replies are about being too fat to ride a rollercoaster. I bet it's only a matter of time til a plus size theme park opens

In for the food court!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    That just made me really sad.

I went to go buy a lifting belt today and the XLs didn't fit. They didn't have bigger ones. :grumble:
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I got on a budget airline and the seat belt wouldn't fasten, they said I would need to leave the plane, I explained , but I'm the pilot
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That just made me really sad.

I went to go buy a lifting belt today and the XLs didn't fit. They didn't have bigger ones. :grumble:
    They don't go around your head, they go around your waist.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Think having children is one of the most inspirational things you can do. Keeps you in check to some degree because you have to set a great example for them and keep in shape to keep up with them.

Certainly since I have been on my new regime I have lots more energy and more likely to do physical activities for them.

Hopefully when things like this happen it's a wake up call for all involved! :(
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    time to hit the waterpark. big or small, the wavepool doesnt judge haha...
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    It's really not about making BIGGER rides to get obese people on them, it's also what the g-forces do to your internal organs.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on your point?

It's sad, yes. For some, it's just the wake up call that we need, I know that it was for me.
    For others, nothing will be done...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was at a water park yesterday, and I felt sad seeing so many people struggling just to walk to the wave pool.

picture unrelated.
    fat-people-warning-amusement-ride-x.jpg

funny-animated-gifs-rollercoaster-kid.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Last summer I barely fit in the roller coaster harness. That was one of my motivators for losing weight. That, and wanting to be able to sit in a chair without spilling over the sides.