Thoughts on Smoking?

Options

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    noooooooooooooooooooooo don't do it!

You can say goodbye to looking young and being healthy and having great skin. I am in the midst of trying to convince a close friend!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Chew Gum!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I think smoking takes someone who is extremely attractive and makes then non attractive. Sorry just not a fan and nothing against anyone who does. I just dont care for it and have lost many family members to lung C.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    On day 9 of sober myself...Yea I find it did curb my appetite some but I can burn way more calories not having to take more breaks during workouts because I"m outta breath than I can curb with a habit.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    As a former smoker (32 years as a smoker, have been quit for a year and a half now), it is an appetite suppressant, but it's also a depressant which means, more stuff gets to you. It's a double edged sword. I was fat smoking. I quit and became fatter. Once I got through the quitting, I opted for weight loss.
  • xalexandramarie
    xalexandramarie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On day 9 of sober myself...Yea I find it did curb my appetite some but I can burn way more calories not having to take more breaks during workouts because I"m outta breath than I can curb with a habit.

I am going to use this for my dad as well!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    To help your dad, tell him to invest in cinnamon sticks, gum and chewing sticks. They helped me a great deal. Chewing sticks can be obtained from any health food store.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Someone close to me thought that controlling weight would be easier if she resumed smoking. I think she was looking for an excuse to smoke.

She's gained weight since then so now has two problems.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to suppress your hunger? Also, as a smoker, don't start smoking for suppressing your hunger. For th love of God if you must go down an eating disorder road, take up coffee for suppressent vs. smoking.

Also, seek help.

(yes, I realize I might be jumping to conclusion, I am OK with it)

Honestly, my dad quit smoking and since then I have found myself "craving" it (second hand sucks) and was looking up things about smoking just to understand why and was shocked to see it has been used to suppress hunger

What you heard is actually incorrect. I have been smoking since I was 13. It has never suppressed hunger. What has happened though is that anytime I tried to quit smoking, I tried to replace one addiction (of nicotine) with another (of food).

This is a new concept for me of getting addicted to nicotine via second hand smoking.

For all that is holy, please do NOT start smoking. For any reason. I have been smoking for 16 years and regret the day I started very much so.

I've asked others if they have craved, too without ever having a cigarette and it's actually common once the main source of contact is gone. It's like I've been around it so long that him just stopping is throwing me off. I don't want to smoke. And it's nice to know that it doesn't suppress hunger. That was mind blowing to hear so I am glad to know it's not true.

It doesn't necessarily mean you were addicted. You may just associate the smell and certain aspects of it with a sense of comfort (even more-so if you are close to your Dad and love him). Our sense of smell is a very powerful aspect of our memories and emotions.

And like everyone said, most people that start smoking usually end up struggling with binge eating habits. Plus the detriment to your health eventually leads to things that are not desirable. Most people start when they are children before they fully understand the choice they are making.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My grandmother died from smoking, gasping for breath until she could no longer maintain consciousness. My grandfather died from getting too drunk to realize his dropped cigaret had set his bed on fire.
    My parents smoked for years, in spite of their newly informed 5th grade daughter trying to convince them to stop through tear stained cheeks.
    A couple years ago I turned my folks on to the electronic ciggs. After a year dad stopped smoking but its too late. He has severe lung damage. Mom still smoking e-ciggs. Its such a shame that my dad will die from COPD. He is in otherwise great health. Can't live without lung function though. ITs only a matter of time now.

I felt the withdrawal from cigarettes too when I moved out of my parents home. Scary what we do to our children when we smoke in our houses with them and in cars.

Those are my thoughts on smoking.
  • DefyGravity810
    DefyGravity810 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Actually, Jillian Michaels has a post about this where she explains the damage smoking actually does to your metabolism and body from a weight loss perspective. Seems like smoking making you thinner might be a myth after all.
    Of course everyone knows the bad things about smoking but what are your thoughts on the nicotine being a suppressant?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My mind is my suppressant. The damage to your body through smoking is as bad, if not worse, than carrying some extra weight. Plus it gives you those crazy mouth and squinty eye wrinkles when you get older. No thanks!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in January of this year. I don't miss it at all. I have since began eating better and exercising and I've lost at least 13 pounds. Smoking is just a bad habit, not a suppressant.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Never started, but I've watched friends and family struggle to quit. Personally, I never started because I loath the smell it leaves in my hair/skin.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,967 Member
    Options
    What you heard is actually incorrect. I have been smoking since I was 13. It has never suppressed hunger. What has happened though is that anytime I tried to quit smoking, I tried to replace one addiction (of nicotine) with another (of food).
    Both of my parents smoked and each quit in their own time. My father quit more recently and said he found that food tasted much better after he quit smoking. He did gain a bit of weight when he quit smoking but lost it again within the year.

I wonder if it is possible that smoking doesn't so much suppress the appetite chemically as it does by interfering with smell and taste which are linked to appetite? Just a thought...
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been around smoke my whole life even when i was in my mothers womb. I started smoking when I was 9 and regret it ever since. Im 32 now. I have been smoke free for 46 days, and I can breath better. My cardio now has gone through the roof. I am able to run longer without getting winded. I will never go back. You can get used to second hand smoke and that is the worst smoke ever.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to suppress your hunger? Also, as a smoker, don't start smoking for suppressing your hunger. For th love of God if you must go down an eating disorder road, take up coffee for suppressent vs. smoking.

Also, seek help.

(yes, I realize I might be jumping to conclusion, I am OK with it)

Honestly, my dad quit smoking and since then I have found myself "craving" it (second hand sucks) and was looking up things about smoking just to understand why and was shocked to see it has been used to suppress hunger

This is a new concept for me of getting addicted to nicotine via second hand smoking.

For all that is holy, please do NOT start smoking. For any reason. I have been smoking for 16 years and regret the day I started very much so.

I've asked others if they have craved, too without ever having a cigarette and it's actually common once the main source of contact is gone. It's like I've been around it so long that him just stopping is throwing me off. I don't want to smoke. And it's nice to know that it doesn't suppress hunger. That was mind blowing to hear so I am glad to know it's not true.

I also smoked from the time i was 12.. and the gentleman above you is correct. You pick up one habit for another. Also, as he said.. it does not supress hunger. The reason people gain weight is because they have a habit of putting hand to mouth.. if you arent putting a cig hand to mouth, people put things like chips, cookies. other "snack" food items that can be done in a repetative motion while sitting, staring blindlessly into a TV or computer, thus gaining weight. Luckily, when i decided to quit, i decided to do it just before i decided to lose weight. Might as well grab the bull by the horns & do it all at once, right? Also decided it was time to get control of my alcoholism also. Figured if i was gonna kil someone, i would at least get off on insanity. ;) lol
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents smoked and each quit in their own time. My father quit more recently and said he found that food tasted much better after he quit smoking. He did gain a bit of weight when he quit smoking but lost it again within the year.

I wonder if it is possible that smoking doesn't so much suppress the appetite chemically as it does by interfering with smell and taste which are linked to appetite? Just a thought...

People probably also use the act of smoking as a distraction from eating, and for a way to relax or enjoyment. But, there are lots of ways to do that (and healthier habits and associations to form) without smoking.

I was never addicted, but I tried smoking when I was 9, and I smoked occasionally during my pre-teen and teen years. I just never did it regularly enough to become addicted, but I understand why people do become addicted because it is relaxing. But, when you first start it doesn't feel too good, and it causes problems with the throat/lungs. And if I smoked too much I would feel nauseated, I guess that's why I didn't become addicted.
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    After seeing smoking take someone I loved dearly from this earth in a slow painfull way, there would be no way I would even consider it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If you think losing weight is hard, quitting smoking is way, way harder.