Thoughts on Smoking?

Options

Replies

• mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I promise you all I am not going to start smoking for the fact of it being a suppressant if anything, I don't want to pick it up at all!

*Whew!*

You really had me freaked out there! Lol.

Yes, nicotine has been known to suppress appetite in some people...that's one of the reasons ppl gain a ton of weight when they quit.

that's what my dad's going through right now

People gain weight when they quit smoking because they replace the act of smoking addiction with eating. I quit over 100 days ago and have lost over 30 lbs since I quit. If you replace smoking with doing something active (walk around the block, ride a bike, whatever), and don't head for the fridge or cupboard every time you want a cigarette, you won't gain weight. Appetite suppressant???? I smoked about 2 packs a day and I got up to 342 pounds, the only thing smoking suppressed on me was smelling good!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    lung cancer
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke 20 a day, I now smoke only when I have a drink (about once a fortnight) it is bad, don't do it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that it's an appetite suppressant. If I'm hungry and have a cigarette, it seems the hunger pangs get worse. :smokin:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    . And it's nice to know that it doesn't suppress hunger. That was mind blowing to hear so I am glad to know it's not true.

mind blowing!? really?!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Please check out the website whyquit.com . I quit seven years ago and wish I had quit much sooner. It is not an appetite suppressant. It does not calm your nerves, it is a stimulant. If you lose any weight smoking it is because you are spending so much time outside feeding that expensive addiction. go to the website and learn about tobacco.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Just think of all the extra breaks you'd get at work. People I work with are out at the shack for at least an hour/day. Totally worth it.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I smoked for 20 some odd years and the best thing I did was quit. It is actually a stimulant....It wasn't an appetite suppressant for me since when I quit I was topping 200 pounds. I actually quit and lost 60 pounds the first year.

Now...I do still have cravings but I push through them. I refuse to start back and it is one of the most smelly disgusting things I ever did.

As for the extra breaks that people take at work. I get mine to but just walk around the building now instead of going outside and smoking. :-)
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I smoked for um 30+ years.... I use to think if I quit I would gain weight.... and I did... blamed not smoking. But when I actually thought about it.. when I smoked.... I would not eat on breaks and lunch I needed that time to get my nicotine fix. Once I quit I was now eating food instead which made me initially gain. However, my weight soon stablized and then started to reverse.

So no, I do not believe it is a suppresent just that most opt to smoke over eat...

I have been smoke free for 3.5 years!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Not at all true. When I smoked and was young I ate like a pig. Moreover, smoking makes you look old and you wrinkle early. Your skin does awful stuff. You stink and look bad. And oh, it will kill you.
  • StarGeezer
    StarGeezer Posts: 351
    Options
    My grandmother died from smoking, gasping for breath until she could no longer maintain consciousness. My grandfather died from getting too drunk to realize his dropped cigaret had set his bed on fire.
    My parents smoked for years, in spite of their newly informed 5th grade daughter trying to convince them to stop through tear stained cheeks.
    A couple years ago I turned my folks on to the electronic ciggs. After a year dad stopped smoking but its too late. He has severe lung damage. Mom still smoking e-ciggs. Its such a shame that my dad will die from COPD. He is in otherwise great health. Can't live without lung function though. ITs only a matter of time now.

I felt the withdrawal from cigarettes too when I moved out of my parents home. Scary what we do to our children when we smoke in our houses with them and in cars.

Those are my thoughts on smoking.

I've been using "e-cigs" (a moniker folks are trying to distance themselves from, due to the stigma of smoking) for over 3 years now. This, after being a smoker of both pipes and cigarettes for well over 20 years. They are, by several degrees of magnitude, safer than tobacco-based products. I've lost count of the number of family, friends and acquaintances that have quite literally saved their own lives by getting off the cigs and onto the PV's (Personal Vaporators, which is one of the preferred terms for these types of devices.)

If you've never been a smoker, don't start. If you have, and are looking for a FAR healthier alternative, consider the electronic versions.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    lung cancer

Yeh, shock tactics, right on.

My dad died of lung cancer thanks to smoking unfiltered roll-ups but guess what ... Mindlessly Parroting " Lung Cancer" will not make a jot of difference to making a committed smoker give it up even having seen their parent die of a smoking related disease.

I assume most people are here to lose some blubber, some fat? Fact is if you give up the smokes you are likely to need some serious strategies to help you both cope with the cessation of the habit and replacing it with something more in line with your goals ( a walk, some creative time, etc).
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    On a purely anecdotal level and from 20 years experience, it's a great appetite suppressant.

People quit and tend to pack on fat, that is pretty much the rule.

But, if you can quit AND learn how to eat/exercise well then you'll be set for a better future all round.

Allen Carr's Easy Way did it for me and started a chain reaction that has led me here. I totally understand why people smoke, no judgement here but if you want to quit it AND get fit you can, absolutely, but only if you want it. Really $)(;ing want it. Are you willing to pay the price? A bit of psychological torture that dims with time?

I still get thoughts of starting again but they are fewer and further between, good luck y'all if you want to quit. If you don't then good luck also.

Completely, 100%, the truth!

You must REALLY REALLY want to quit, once you realise that you REALLY REALLY want to, it is not hard at all.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a foul and destructive habit. It amazes me that people still start it up. I mean, I get the older addicts being stuck in their ways, but when young people do it it's just flat out DUMB. Don't we all know how unhealthy it is by now?

Plus, who would purposely want to smell like *kitten* and be alienated from society in public places? Back in the day it was cool to smoke, so I could see why some people would want to fit in by smoking, but nowadays smokers are often ostracized and excluded. I just don't understand it.

I always feel pity when I see a group of desperate-looking nicotine addicts huddling in the rain to get their fix because they aren't allowed indoors to pollute the air. Sad. (Although relieved to not be exposed to the poisons.) :cry:
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    they don't suppress my appetite, they do keep me from beating ppl senseless

Here, here!!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Try watching a family member die a prolonged and agonizing death from lung cancer or emphysema, then ask yoursel if maybe there are better ways to deal with your appetite.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone knows the bad things about smoking but what are your thoughts on the nicotine being a suppressant?

what kind of supressant?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

You must REALLY REALLY want to quit, once you realise that you REALLY REALLY want to, it is not hard at all.

Everything starts from the mind, everything ... Get the mind right and it all flows, I swear it.

Smokers will find every justification to keep going ... I've been there and done it, I thought I'd lose my very personality by giving them up, I smoked because otherwise I'd be bored, etc.

None of it is real.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at age 11. I quit when I was in my thirties. I am never looking back. If weeds are what it takes to be thin, then it's not going to happen, but fortunately, it's happening for me without the smokes.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options

Everything starts from the mind, everything ... Get the mind right and it all flows, I swear it.

Smokers will find every justification to keep going ... I've been there and done it, I thought I'd lose my very personality by giving them up, I smoked because otherwise I'd be bored, etc.

None of it is real.

Smoking is completely a mental game.

After deciding enough was enough, I quit 18 months ago, never looked back.

Biggest regret, other than starting, was not giving up sooner. I've wasted 16 years of my life stuck with cigarettes - now I see what I've achieved without them, it is my biggest regret :(