How not to be a gym douche...

Options

Replies

• sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    7. Don't sit on a bench if your not using it. Other ppl need to use it.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If you're trolling for a guy, stay away from the married ones. It sucks for their wives.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    like :)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    When performing side raises (or any other routine for that matter), step back from the dumbbell rack for crying out loud!

I like doing pyramids and need to move up 5-10 pounds every minute or so and get tired of endlessly having to wait until someone standing 6 inches in front of the rack completes a set.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

im using it though....to sit on.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Some people "****ing around on their cell phones" between sets may be taking down notes or updating a workout app. If you can see that they're blatantly on Facebook then that's one thing, but assuming everyone with a phone in their hand is ****ing around is unfair.
    agreed.

Or you could just mind your own business if someones on facebook during their rests. Does it really make any difference to your life?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    During strength training I'm 5-7 min between sets. During that time I'll talk to friends if I want to. So sucks to be you.

5) Notice the people around you, and don't talk to your friend for 5 minutes between sets.

Agree with all except this one - not sure I care what people do between their sets. 5 minutes isn't crazy IMO

It is when I need to work in a set on the equipment you're monopolizing while chit chatting to your friends.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    8. Don't get on the cardio machine next to me and automatically assume that I want to chat with you. The fact that I am dripping sweat, panting, and can't carry on a conversation should let you know that I'm working hard and obviously can not talk.

9. Don't take all the weight plates from the piece of equipment I am using without first asking me if I am going to be using them. Obviously since I am at said machine with said weight plates I'm going to be using them.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    6. Dont say "bro"
    7. no posing in front of mirror
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    During strength training I'm 5-7 min between sets. During that time I'll talk to friends if I want to. So sucks to be you.

5) Notice the people around you, and don't talk to your friend for 5 minutes between sets.

Agree with all except this one - not sure I care what people do between their sets. 5 minutes isn't crazy IMO

It is when I need to work in a set on the equipment you're monopolizing while chit chatting to your friends.

Well then you're a rude *kitten*. :flowerforyou:
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1) Stop paying too much attention to what everyone else at the gym is doing.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Now we need a list for how not to be a gym douche in group fitness classes....
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You know, nothing pisses me off more than those idiots that leave the weights on the bar.

Last week I had an argument with one of those idiots over the Squat Rack.
    The moron left his plates on the bar, so I kindly asked him to remove them so I could put mine.

He told me, exactly like this : ''well if you can use the bar you should be able to remove the weights yourself, that's not my job''

I was so pissed >:-(

I was lucky enough that another guy happened to pass by and told him (not so nicely) to remove his ***king plates.

urg
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    it's so simple and just common sense, yet it seems like 75% of the people at the gym can't follow these simple rules.
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    Don't take a nap in the leg press!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    How not to be a gym douche...

1) Clean your weights (take the weights off the bar when you're done).
    2) Keep the weights organized (Don't make the next guy remove three 45 lbs plates to get to one 2.5).
    3) Get the **** away from the weight rack with your little curls and shrugs.
    4) Don't leave your dumbbells or plates on the floor.

6) Don't ask me when I'll be done with the bench or machine ... this drives me crazy!

Wrong dude. You just need to relax. I mean, if the guy is hounding you I get it, but if they just ask how many sets you have left, you need to tell them and get on with your lifts.

#6 was a good one

Its to be used while doing WORK. If you arent working and it appears you are resting too long in between sets, then what started out as an exercise has now turned into camping. Let someone else work in or GFTO
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    Also don't throw a fit if I ask to cut in. You're not using it for a minute. It will take me less than a minute, AND I will readjust the weight for you :)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my husband last night how intimidating I find gyms. First and foremost: mirrors. Mirrors everywhere. I get why they are there, but as I still have over 70 lbs to lose, mirrors still suck.

Then there is the buff person factor. Most people in the gym that I go to never make eye contact. It's like a bunch of ripped autistic people. (I have a son who is severely autistic and behaves that way.)

I have a bowflex in the basement, it's been there since we moved, but I can't figure out how to reassemble it. I would love to use it, but the pulleys are all tangled in a mass. ;(

Plus, the bowflex was less of a workout than free weights were.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

im using it though....to sit on.

Will you spot me bro? Yeah, spot me on dumbbell presses, on that bench,............. that you were sitting on. Now you are spotting me and no longer sitting on it. BTW thanks for letting me work in! You rock! :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Resting is one thing- but there is a point where you are taking WAY to long and just sitting there- I do get annoyed.

I'm LESS annoyed now with it than I was back in my college days- mostly because I"M resting more b/c of the heavy lifts- but ultimately- I get annoyed when I'm ready to move on to something and someone who isn't lifting THAT much is taking up SO much time.

I watched a guy from the second floor while I was running- he did 2 sets of a machine chest press in the 2 miles I ran.

Seriously? 2? I'm a slow *kitten* runner too. Like- come on- even that's excessive.