The Benefits of having an OPEN food diary

Options
I have been doing mfp for just over 100 days, an accomplishment I am extremely proud of as I believe with all my heart that it has changed my life.

I am an overeater and a binger, and before I started MFP, I thought nothing of going to the bakery, buying whatever I wanted and consuming the entire thing...because well, I deserved it because I had a bad day and my life was stressful!!!

Since having an open diary, the thought has crossed my mind to do that again when I have a bad day or get stressed out, but then I think...oh geesh, do I really want to put that in my journal?? H to the NO!!! So this in essence has gotten rid of a lot of my 7000-10000 calorie binge days, and I am SOOOOOOOO happy about that.

Does anyone else want to share why keeping an open food diary has been positive to their success?

Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have always had an open diary and encourage my friends to do the same. It's not a deal-breaker for friends, however. I understand that people have their reasons. But I *do* look at diaries on a regular basis. It's where I get my best ideas for food!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I did have an open diary until somebody thought it fitting to judge what I was eating when I did not ask for opinions. Now mine is closed.

I do however, see what you mean OP regarding having an open diary in your case.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Agreed :) Totally about the accountability factor. If you don't have an open diary and/or don't write down the cheats as well as the good choices, you are only fooling yourself. I also like to see others diaries to get ideas for my own meals.
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, it helps me too. A dietician once told me, "you bite it, you write it." I enjoy getting ideas from others as well. I am a post op weight loss surgery patient and like to see what others are eating to get their protein in.

I did have one bad experience where I felt like someone really judged me for what I ate though, so, I just unfriended her. I need positive influences and always remember if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Open diaries are great, so people can check out my daily beer selection.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because I figure someone may get an idea for a low calorie food that they never thought of. :-)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

:laugh: :drinker:
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Having an open diary helps me a lot, I love having people support me and I always feel good when people tell me I've made great food choices that day. (:
    I love snooping through other people's diary for meal ideas as well.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I heart this.
    And ditto on the judgy friend. It's why mine is private.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Agreed :) Totally about the accountability factor. If you don't have an open diary and/or don't write down the cheats as well as the good choices, you are only fooling yourself. I also like to see others diaries to get ideas for my own meals.

I'm fooling myself by not allowing other people to view what I'm eating every day?

I don't think so. Some people need others to remain accountable, others can do it on their own. Don't knock someone else's way just because you don't do the same.

I've had success by holding myself accountable and not relying on worrying that others are going to judge my food choices.

Edit: If I ever need to ask for help regarding my food diary, I'd certainly open it so that others would be able to give me the advice I seek, though. So far this hasn't been necessary.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed. It was open for my first year on. Then after that I closed it and found that I was even MORE honest with myself. I think it's very individual and after realizing this, I have encouraged all my friends to use MFP in a way that best benefits them. :flowerforyou:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I think having an open diary helps me. I love the support from people and I find it easier not to eat something because I'll have to log it later.

I do the same with my exercise and fb. I use map my walk and it records my walks daily. Not for everyone else to see but just keeps me a bit more motivated to walk. I'm now at 6 straight weeks minus 4 days (raining or on Sunday) of walking 3+ miles a day. Anything that helps me stay motivated I'm all for it!
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Open for accountability, I don't worry about backlash because I always hit my number.. #nothingtohide
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Open for accountability, I don't wory about backlash because I always hit my number.. #nothingtohide
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I keep an open diary because it helps me be a better role model to others and therefore keeps me accountable.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did have an open diary until somebody thought it fitting to judge what I was eating when I did not ask for opinions. Now mine is closed.

I am on the fence on this comment. I agree that unwarranted comments can be upsetting, but isn't this *sort of* the whole point of a social feature? I wasn't there, so there is probably more to the story (maybe the self proclaimed nutritionist was an *kitten* about it), but I would welcome someone commenting on my diary with tips and tricks as long as they were polite and not condescending or rude about it.

And if they were, I would tell them where to go and who could push. Pretty sure there is a delete button that can solve those kind of issues.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I keep mine open just because generally speaking I want as much of my life as possible to be an open book.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i like keeping mine open because as you, i second guess some of the choices i make. Also i like the guided help from friends as to what i could do better =)
  • mjh1959
    mjh1959 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. It's sort of the best of both worlds for me. Those I am on a fitness quest with can get ideas, if we eat together and one has calculated the values for a meal, that is helpful, and, generally, the fact that I know we are counting on each other weighs (pun intended) on my mind in making food choices.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I am on the fence on this comment. I agree that unwarranted comments can be upsetting, but isn't this *sort of* the whole point of a social feature? I wasn't there, so there is probably more to the story (maybe the self proclaimed nutritionist was an *kitten* about it), but I would welcome someone commenting on my diary with tips and tricks as long as they were polite and not condescending or rude about it.

And if they were, I would tell them where to go and who could push. Pretty sure there is a delete button that can solve those kind of issues.

I can't answer for anyone else, but for me it was always the comments from the self-appointed nutritionist that I got. I was told to eat more, eat less, eat clean, eat more/less protein/carbs/fats, etc. Food and recipe suggestions are nice, but obviously my method is working for me the way I want it to, otherwise I would have asked (and the advice would have been unsolicited).

I don't mind comments from friends that are there to help, support and encourage me, but I don't want random advice from strangers who don't know my situation or what works for me (I've even had people tell me I "must" eat more of things I am allergic to). I think the social part can work fine even without having your diary public.