What triggered your weight gain?

Options

Replies

• Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At 17 I weight 135 lbs and became pregnant and gained 60lbs from that point my weight yo-yoed up and down for the past 5 years, I started on MFP AT 200LBS and my current weight now is 189, slowly but surely im losing the weight but it is far from easy
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it all started when I got a boyfriend and mainly all we did was Eat out!! Then I had my son and I got bigger. Then married and I got bigger! My second son and I got a little bigger. Also, eating when I was bored. My first "real" job and always eating out for lunch. Never exercising. Eating all junk food/bread/ w/ large portions.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Inactivity due to major lower body injuries which had me on crutches for 2 years 9 months followed by tight permanent restrictions for physical activity..

Added to not adjusting my eating to match a sedimentary life.

In short, eating too much for my activity level.

I never had weight issues before because I always had super physically demanding jobs.
  • fleurblur
    fleurblur Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a job where I didn't get breaks and if I was lucky I got some food during shift, but what they served there was very unhealthy and full of fat,cheese and sauces.I used to panic and before my shift id eat loads then id end up getting food and eat it then too, to give me energy when I didn't get food I would drink endless cans of coke on 10 hour shifts.
    I wasn't happy whilst working there so would eat loads of chocolate and treat myself to hot chocolates, mochas,desserts on my days/evenings off.I have been gradually putting on weight since getting with my boyfriend last year but this job made it accelerate.

When I got to the heaviest weight I had ever been and was eating stupidly, really all I wanted to eat was chocolate..like even for breakfast I new I had to sort this out once and for all!

So that was my trigger , the horrible job.
    Please add me if you like ,I am looking for more friends to help me on my journey.
  • mjhmjhmjh
    mjhmjhmjh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was not overweight in My teens or 20s. Even after My first 2 children I was ok. At some point in My 30s I stopped eating proper meals and just picked at junk all day. No idea why!

So i Put on Weight. Then at 42 I got pregnant and Had diabities during pregnancy. I ate really well while pregnant but as soon as I had My daughter and The diabities Had gone I ate so much bad stuff ! Cakes, cookies, sweets, chocolate anything!

Just before reached One i got on the scales and was 14 stone 4. Never Had I been so big. Lost a couple of stone, Put a bit on over christmas and found mfp in feb. Started here. At 12 stone 12.
  • LynnMartin78
    LynnMartin78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What Triggered my weight gain? Two things really:
    1. My relationship with my BF. He has a hungry appetite...I would eat whenever he would eat and would eat as much as him. He had (at the time) a higher metabolism than me. So I gained 20 pounds in a matter of 6 months.
    2. I turned 30.......my metabolism went to crap and gained another 15 pounds the first 2 months after turning th3 bg 30.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Going through a divorce with a man who always told me I was chubby, "it looks like you're gaining weight," and basically wouldn't allow me to eat certain foods (it was a very emotionally abusive relationship). Moved back home with my parents and I just started eating everything I could lay my hands on because I went without for so long.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My weight gain wasn't triggered by a damn thing. I ate like a pig since childhood and the only reason it didn't catch up with me until my teens was because I kept active via swimming. At a certain point in my early teens though I had a skin cancer scare that made me paranoid about being out in the sun anymore, so I stopped swimming and became sedentary. So my eating habits caught up with me.
  • MRL1107
    MRL1107 Posts: 74
    Options
    After having my son I lost a ton of weight and was feeling great about being a new mom and having a great body. But having a child changed a lot of things in my relationship with my son's father and eventually we fell apart and I just stopped caring about what I looked like, what I did, what I ate. I stopped wearing make-up and doing my hair, I ate nothing but junk and before I knew it 10, 20, and 40lbs later nothing fit. I finally decided enough was enough and I needed to take care of myself not only physically but emotionally as well. I've been on a mission for two years now and I'm not stopping anytime soon.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I was always fat. I can chalk that up to a lot of things - an abusive childhood filled with comfort eating and wanting fat to protect myself; not being taught a damn thing about nutrition; being completely disregarded and ignored when I begged for help to lose weight as a child; and simply loving food.

I lost a lot of weight when I was 24 or 25 and my living situation changed and I wasn't under as much stress. I lost about 130 lbs without even trying, I just naturally didn't want to eat like I was before (i was still fat, just not *as* fat). This was a problem because it sort of put the belief in my head that I didn't have to do anything, I'd just lose weight as long as I avoided fast food (which was my big vice before).

After I got married when I was 28, I moved to the UK to be with my husband and almost immediately started gaining weight. I think this was due to a few things. It took me a long time to find a job, so I spent a lot of time just sitting at home. Not only was I not really moving, but boredom is a huge cause of my overeating, and I was super bored. The other thing is that my husband is one of those tall, skinny boys who eats like a horse but doesn't gain an ounce. I was doing all the cooking, and just got used to eating as much as he was. Add to this my mindset of being able to eat whatever I want and lose weight, and most of the weight I had lost came right back.

So that's what triggered *my* weigh gain! :)
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What Triggered my weight gain? Two things really:
    1. My relationship with my BF. He has a hungry appetite...I would eat whenever he would eat and would eat as much as him. He had (at the time) a higher metabolism than me. So I gained 20 pounds in a matter of 6 months.
    2. I turned 30.......my metabolism went to crap and gained another 15 pounds the first 2 months after turning th3 bg 30.
    Isn't it scary how turning 30 totally changes some of us? People say I shouldn't blame hitting an arbitrary year, but all I can say is, age 29, 110 pounds, 24 inch waist, age 20, 161 pounds, 36 inch waist. It did a number on me!
  • kittiesandfarts
    kittiesandfarts Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total health and fitness nut. I was 5'6" and weighed 132 lbs. I could run 3 miles in 24 min. But then I got in a really bad relationship. Not only was he mean, he had horrible food habits and I absorbed them. I gained 20 lbs during the first 6 months of our relationship. Then I joined the military. I lost all the weight during training but when I got back I ballooned up to 180 lbs. The combination of a bad relationship and military stress just broke something inside me. I forgot all of my healthy coping mechanisms. But, I've had some therapy since then and am doing better. I feel like I'm finally in a healthy mental state, and I can't lose weight when my mental state is all wrong. Losing weight takes a lot of self love.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ate too much

^ THIS lol! My love of food caused the weight !
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my weight gain has been a yoyo since i was a kid but lost loads in teens from walking everywhere, MEN lol men trigger my eating through me being too happy to upset to depressed im just an emotional eater, then i found weight watchers great lost 2 n a half stone in 4 months was happy in the mirror again then went travelling all over the world enjoying lots of yummy food pilled the weight back on and a lot more!!!! whats stopped me this time is learning about food and controlling what i eat
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I gained A LOT of weight with my first pregnancy (75 lbs), then I lost half of that, then I got pregnant again and gained 45 lbs. After that the weight just kept creeping up.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Depression, family troubles, relationship troubles then pregnancies and just eating too much and of the wrong foods.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The factors that triggered my weight gain were eating late at night and only walking on the treadmill instead of doing more exercises. I'm still finding the time to exercise and to add more cardio to my fitness routine.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Hormonal birth control
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy, followed by the stress of my baby being in the NICU for 5.5 months. Annddd he was in the NICU 3 states away from home, I lived in a Ronald McDonald House the entire time. Lots and lots of pasta bakes and cookies and other carb loaded foods on hand there!

Oh. and I also blame Oreos.

hah
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Laziness and overeating, period end of story.