Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Salmon with skin vs skinless - calorie difference?

MFP didn't give me an option of skin on or skinless salmon. Is there not a calorie difference between the two?

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    No. It's the same.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    For the Kirkland/Costco brand, there seems to be no difference in calories.

I buy skinless because I think the skin is gross.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Fairly certain you don't eat the skin.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    You can eat the skin. I'd imagine there is a calorie difference because the layer just under the skin is fatty, good omega 3 but still fat so adds calories. Also be aware of PCB and the rest as the skin has a higher concentration
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Fairly certain you don't eat the skin.

Fairly certain you've never had delicious crispy salmon skin. There is a good layer of fat between the skin and the flesh, so if you get the fish without skin it will have less fat and calories, I don't know how much. That's where a lot of the healthy fats are, but also environmental chemicals. I always eat the skin unless I've totally failed and it's a soggy mess, I don't eat it enough to be terribly worried about mercury.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    If you get wild salmon (not farm raised), eat the skin or at least keep it on while you cook it-it keeps the salmon extra moist and flavorful!
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    I bake my salmon.. skin on or off.. baking salmon preserves the omega oils in the fish.. pop a few lemon slices salt and pepper on raw fish wrap and pop in the oven for about 20-30 mins.. I guess with mine and I also have mine fully cooked.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    I dont eat the skin when I bake it.. :)