Workaholic needs some advice

Options
I know I need to eat healthy. I have read article after article about it, but the reality is I work 12 to 18 hours a day. I can pinpoint that my 650 cal coffee's did not help me at all after drink 4 or 5 a day. I can cut that, no problem after the caffeine headaches wear off. I've given up my soda addiction after 15 years of trying to give up Dr. Pepper. So I'm good there. I love veggies and eat, what I thought, was a fair amount of them. I tried nutrisystem, but couldn't stand how salty their food was. I tried weight watchers, but couldn't stand to eat that many times a day. Just the thought of having to eat that much turned me off of food. I just do not have a lot of time to cook. Mostly I just end up not eating sold food, drinking my calorie intake each day. I do not have a lot of time to figure out things, and would love to have someone just tell me what to do. The problem with that is, what happens when the coaching stops? Most likely all the weight comes back due to bad habits. My docs says my sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are fine. All these nutritional numbers mean nothing to me.

What does someone like me do? How can I figure out all this stuff in a crash course that is very simplified? I eat when I bored, like most people. When I find something I like, I eat too much of it. I have no snack or junk food in the house. Work has no vending machines, thank goodness. I'm a smart person, but I feel super dumb when it comes to what I should eat.

I feel extra whinny today :sad:

Anyway, any suggestions would be very helpful.
:flowerforyou: Webby

Replies

• MorningWhispers
    Options
    start packing your lunch - either whatever you have for dinner the night before, set enough aside for your lunch the next day. Or make sandwiches or wraps with deli meat - ask the person working the deli which of their turkey, ham or whatever meat you like has the least amount of preservatives and artificial flavors. Ask for taste if you aren't sure you'll like it.

Take fresh vegetables and fruit in your lunch as well.

If you have no time to cook, get a crock pot and start planning on making crockpot meals - get everything prepared the night before and in the morning just turn on the crockpot and walk out the door. Come home and dinner is ready.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    being a workaholic does not give you a free pass to indulge in 500 cal coffee's

if you know the next right thing to do is going to get to a healthy place physically wouldn't it be worth exploring?

so you die from a heart attack from over eating or over working

you have to be able to make a life decision

ETA not trying to be rude
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You know your schedule, so prepare for it. I work 70+ hour weeks, so I feel you pain, but I bring lunch with me and pack several smaller things for throughout the day (fruit, nuts, protein bars, minybel cheese wheels, etc.) and fit them into my calories and macros. When I get home, I do my hour of Insanity, and then I eat a lot of food. The foreman grill is my friend since I can cook a lot of things on it with relative ease. You're not going to find the time to do this, you have to make it. If your health is a priority, you'll make it work somehow.
  • HauntedWebbys
    HauntedWebbys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Crockpot, now that is a good idea. MourningWhispers. I could make several lunches in one of those fairly easy. Now deli meats, I would have figured they would be loaded with salt. Do you noticed a brand that seems better than others? or is there something on the label that should absolutely be avoided? calories being to obvious.

Cp731, I'm not worried about that. That is for people that stress at work, I do not stress. I just have long hours and I enjoy what I do. My choices are sitting at home bored or working. I happen to prefer to work. No different than someone that works 8 hours, then sits on their butt the rest of the night troll others. And, no that was not aimed at you. I realize I do not have a free pass on the coffee, but never realized how many calories they were until I looked it up today. Besides I do not over eat, I actually do not eat food all that often but I consume to many liquid calories. I also drink more water than the average overweight person. Now this is for you. If you can't support someone or give some useful advice. If all you can do is be snarky towards other, it would be best to just not post. Everyone's life style is not the same as yours, get over it. So, be useful or go away. I mean that in a nice way.
  • HauntedWebbys
    Options
    fit them into my calories and macros.

Macros? I know what that means in my world, but what does it mean in this world?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Last year, I felt as though I'd have to be laid off to be able to lose weight! I don't work as many hours as you, but there still are a lot of things you can do. We live in a world of pre-prepared foods, many of which are good for you. You can pick up pre-roasted chickens at almost any market, pre-cut and washed lettuce, cut up broccoli, pre-shredded cabbage. Have some roast chicken for dinner, throw a potato or better a sweet potato into the microwave for 6 minutes or so, have some salad with a low-calorie dressing. then throw some more of the lettuce into a plastic bowl, and cut up some of the chicken into it. Buy a bag of pre-sliced almonds and throw some of those into your salad, too.

Cook some huge amounts of healthy stuff on weekends, especially stews with lots of veggies. Put them into individual plastic containers and stow those in the freezer.

Keep almonds and apples around. They're great basic diet foods.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Prepare as much food ahead during whatever downtime you have as possible and store it (you'd be amazed at what yiu can freeze) in appropriate sized portions. Comb the boards and internet for recipes to try and find some you like. When I'm cooking for just me I tend to go for simplicity - measured portions of cereal and milk or a bagel thin and a tablespoon or two of cream cheese for breakfast, salad with three to four ounces of lean protein, various veggies and light dressing for lunch, and then for dinner throw some protein like chicken or fish (preportioned, seasoned, and frozen after I buy it) into a pan while some veggies cook in the microwave and a roll heats in the oven. Fill in with 100 - 150 calorie snacks as necessary. That may seem like a lot to think about and plan for, but once you've been doing it a week or so it is automatic and doesn't require much thinking or planning. Once you figure out what you like it is just a matter of having that stuff on hand and eliminating temptations from your kitchen if you need to.

I would also second the responses saying that you need to get serious and make time to do good things for yourself if you're really going to do this. And learn to like black coffee
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You say you could work an 8-hour day at your job but choose not to because you would be bored at home? If that's true, I would suggest some flexibility in your viewpoint. During that time you could be exercising, super-important part of this whole endeavor. You could cook real meals for yourself. You could study up on nutrition. You could walk with a friend. You could take up an active hobby. You could go dancing.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to work crazy hours at a job I loved, too. However, I realized that if I didn't have time to eat healthy and exercise, I didn't have time for my job.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Agree with post above.

You mention you could either work or be at home... which to me implies slight flexibility in your schedule? If this is the case, why not try penciling out an hour a day to get in some activity?

And actually, while I think activity is going to be good for you (as it is anyone), sounds like once you start making smarter decisions with your caloric intake you will start to lose.

Some may not agree with my advice, but this may help you in the beginning.... figure out how many calories you are allowed to eat per day to lose "x" amount of lbs per week... and DO NOT GO OVER. Have your 500 calorie coffee for breakfast, have some raw veggies as snacks throughout the day...... etc. As long as you stay in deficit, you will lose weight. I'm not saying that you should take a 1500 calorie allowance and make it all crap , all day every day. But I think the biggest struggle for people in the beginning is thinking they have to eat 100% "healthy". Everything in moderation is ok.

Try to first get in the habit of logging EVERYTHING and knowing how much you're taking in, and always remain under your calorie goal. You will see weight loss. Looks like you're already moving in the right direction by noticing those crazy coffees you were drinking! (hey, we all have an eye opener. Mine was a measly looking chocolate chip cookie that turned out to be 600 calories lol)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up coffee, you just have to give up drinking coffee that has 650 calories (!!) of other stuff in it.

I bring my lunch from home, usually a sandwich and a salad, sometimes yogurt, fruit, pretzels, trail mix, etc.

I cook dinner at home, and I know this can be tough on weeknights when working long hours, but one thing that helps is that I typically make recipes meant to serve 4 people for just myself, that way I can eat the leftovers a few times rather than cooking something new every night. If you really have no time during the week, cook a few things on the weekend so you don't have to cook at all during the week.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I return to work in a week and then my hours are going to go nuts again so I feel your pain - or at least I will soon.

Last semester it killed my normal diet - which wasn't too unhealthy. Killed it dead. Schedule and time became the devil and I lost all control with food - work potlucks, students bringing in food, candy jar on coworkers desk etc. Semester ended, control resumed.

Going back I'm planning a "prep" day to set up a salad bar in the fridge (bunch of little bowls of prechopped veggies - I've heard they keep longer if they are separated and not mixed). Cook some meats on ol' george... precook some lentils and rice and soak some oats. Premeasure a few protein drink powders for the week. Etc.

I'm just planning a day to shop (on way home Fridays mostly) and a day to prep (Saturdays likely). Then just eat simple and try to hold strong when the schedule goes all loopy.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    If you're busy and more comfortable drinking your calories, start with high protein, meal replacement shakes.

Then cut out one of your shakes, whenever it's the easiest, and replace it with a healthy meal, made with real food.

Only after your new habits become routine, cut out another shake and add a snack each day made with real food . . . and so on.

Gradual change is more likely to stick, and be realistic - you might always want to keep meal replacements close to hand for when you really don't have time for food. They may not be ideal, but they're better than coffee.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    You say you could work an 8-hour day at your job but choose not to because you would be bored at home? If that's true, I would suggest some flexibility in your viewpoint. During that time you could be exercising, super-important part of this whole endeavor. You could cook real meals for yourself. You could study up on nutrition. You could walk with a friend. You could take up an active hobby. You could go dancing.

yep..
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, start packing your food.

Have a healthy and filling breakfast. Oats of some kind, porridge, etc.

Throw together veg stews and freeze them.

Start introducing exercise and light weight lifting into your daily schedule (find time for it)

Log your calories here on MFP - know exactly what you're putting into your mouth.

Replace coffee's with green tea (helps keep your metabolism burning)
  • HauntedWebbys
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, it all makes sense. Plan ahead, and bring stuff with me.

Let me explain a little about my work. It is more than just a job, it's a OCD thing. If I was home I would end up doing what my job is, but not paid. I'm like the person that has to count something, be extremely clean, or make sure the locks on their door are locked by checking them X number of times. It is something that I have to do, or I can't function. The older I have become the worse it has become. Even what little time I have taken to be here to read and post has been more stressful to me than the 12.5 hours of actual work I did today. The only way for me to stop working so much is through medication, and I'm not willing to do that.

msliu7911, I think I understand were you're coming from. Instead of jumping in with both feet, I should test the water and become comfortable with the changes.

alisonlynn197,I really do need to give up what I think passes as coffee. It's where I consume almost 100% of my daily sugar. I tried to see your tattoo but your picture did not expand enough to see. I'm glad to see someone brave enough to do bikini shots. Even if I weighted 100 pounds I'm not that brave :blushing:

k9education, all I can say is DAMN!!!! My bosses are not like that. Anything I want to do they will let me. They know I work hard. I tried to read the post you linked, but about 3 paragraphs into it I started to gloss over. To me it was blah blah to the blah blah. Do you of a paraphrased version? or is your "40%/30%/30% (protein/fat/carbs)" a good paraphrase?

Well time for bed :wink: Work in 5 hours
    :flowerforyou: Webby
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    take ownership of your problems.
  • HauntedWebbys
    Options
    yep she could but apparently she already knows whats best for her, that's why she is asking for advice in the forums

if you took my advice as snarky sorry bout that, sometimes the truth hurts

Wow Cp731. So if someone doesn't bow down to your rude posts, you pull out the claws and become a <censor>. Interesting that you edit so many of your posts. You don't like me, that is obvious. Honestly, I don't care because you have issues. So go troll somewhere else, maybe learn some social skills.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    While I don't agree with the way Cp731 worded their reply, I have to admit they do have a point. I understand where you're coming from as I, too, hate having to figure out what people are talking about with all their shortcuts and terms I've never heard before. And I wish there was an easy way without having to care about all of these things. But I'm afraid there isn't.

You come here pointing out all the things you KNOW you should do but give us reasons why you cannot / don't want to do them. You don't want to take the time to prepare proper meals because you work so much. You cannot make room for (more) exercise in your schedule. You do not want to spread your calories over several meals and snacks per day as WW suggests because you do not want to eat "so much". When people direct you to the information that could help you, you say it's all "blah blah blah" to you. That's all fine and well, it's your right to choose what you do.

But what can we do for you, then? No one here can change the laws of nature. Don't you think that if even just one person on this forum knew a way of losing weight without making the time and effort, we'd all be following their path? We may not all be workaholics but I'm sure everyone here has a bunch of things they'd rather do. Eating less and cutting down on the things you know are bad, i.e. your "coffee" is a good step but obviously it's not enough or otherwise you wouldn't be posting this. So you need to go a step further. And that could mean getting more / some exercise done, eating several proper meals and first and foremost understanding what you're doing. That means learning a little bit about calorie deficits, TDEE, macros and all the other technical terms I, too, wish I didn't have to learn about. Otherwise the only thing you can do is go on as you have before which is vaguely cutting out things you think are bad for you.

I'm starting to think you don't need advice on weight loss but on time management. Perhaps you should just learn to plan far ahead, making meal and exercise schedules for the next week(s), so it'll be easier to fit in. Maybe cook all your lunch / dinner meals for the week in one day and put them in the fridge / freezer. Something like that may help you if you have problems with making the right decisions spontaneously.