Planet Fitness?

Options
Thinking abut joining a Planet Fitness near me, but I've hear mixed reviews. Anyone have any input on the matter?

Replies

• lcrosby31
    lcrosby31 Posts: 4
    Options
    I personally love Planet Fitness.. It gives me the equipment I want, the staff at mine are great (I have heard other franchise's aren't so great), and I really can't beat the price. I mainly use the treadmills and bikes, for a 15-20 minute warm up, and then lift for 30-45. I have heard that many people don't like that you can't do certain exercises, and I don't think their free weights go past 80 pounds, but I'm lucky if I can do 40 pounds on my arms right now.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's 10 bucks a month, try it out yourself and see if you like it
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's 10 bucks a month, try it out yourself and see if you like it

^This. It's not for me, but you're not doing my workout. For $10 per month it can't be that wrong. Unless there's no free weights and/or squat rack, because then it wouldn't be worth $10. But with no contract, it's only $10 to find out
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I was going to join because it was only $10, but the free weights only went up to 60 lbs, so I would've outgrown it too quickly. It was very clean and it looked like a nice place for someone with different goals.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was planning on going in on Friday to join and give it a try. My main source of exercise to this date has been walking so since I am a beginner with weights I think it will be ok for me. And the location of my local one is very convenient for me.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few different ones. The first few had serious weights, but the latest one i went to didn't have anything. No squat cage or rack, no real bench press benches. I mean, if you were going to lift weights, i don't think they all have the equipment you need. A lot of nautilus machines though. Tons of cardio equipment though. It's cheap, and i think there's no contract involved, so you can end your membership easily. You can probably go there for a trial. Check it out.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons, but I think it also widely varies by the gym. At mine, if I go during off hours, I can do pretty much whatever I want to, or somehow improvise. The dumbbells only go up to 70, but I'm a while away from that being a problem. During peak crazy hours, it can be a pain since their free weight section isn't massive (two sets of each weight, only one bench press and straight bar, etc). Tons of cardio machines if that's what you like. Nice locker room.

Yes, it's $10 a month, but there's also a sign up fee - mine was $40 I think. So if you do give it a try, you ought to go a few months to get your money's worth.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of planet fitness. They are not a gym suited for people that want to push the limits of their body and put their all into a workout. The commercials and 'lunk' alarm at their facility stereotype and make outcasts of the people that do so. Yes I understand it is not necessary to grunt when curling ten pounds or leave weights littered around after supersets. But if someone is deadlifting/squatting/bench pressing double or more of their own bodyweight with correct form and they make a bit of noise so be it. I'm sorry that my dedication is intimidating your new years resolution.
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    I did Planet Fitness for a year. It's great if you're only interested in the cardio machines (I didn't do much in weights) and are very self-motivated. But I wanted to take classes and have more variety. I lost my motivation and joined a regular gym. For $10, try it. Great price.
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I got to Youfit which I believe is owned by the same people as Planet Fitness, I like it because it's cheaper than renting or buying a treadmill. The staff are friendly, it's exceptionally clean, and they have a nice variety of equipment for beginners and those who may be a bit more advanced. It's not a specialty gym and the weights don't go very high, but if you're like me and just wanted to start somewhere and get your feet wet in a clean and unintimidating atmosphere then it's worth it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If you have a Retro Fitness near you, that's $20. The one near me told me they were planning to offer classes. I've heard some Gold's Gyms are that low, too, but I think it depends on your area.
  • dizinns
    dizinns Posts: 5
    Options
    I love it...just came home from my 2nd. day going and did the 30 minute workout which was great..and I have not exercised in over 20 yrs....Can't beat $10.00 a month...
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I hated gyms but then I joined Planet Fitness and I LOVE IT! That being stated, I've been to a different one aside from my local one and it certainly wasn't as nice so the best way to tell is to just go and see for yourself. I have a Black Card (BC) Membership which affords me certain perks I really enjoy. Each PF is going to vary from location to location but I'm including the pros found at my local PF in Wallingford, Connecticut.

My pros:

- Open 24 hours during the week. I'm a nut and I like to workout late. There is no audience and it feels like you practically have the whole gym to yourself. You can sing, dance, act a fool and no one cares.

- Big, bright, clean.

- A lot of machines to workout on, lots of tvs to watch

- Circuit training rooms

- Massage Chairs & Hydro Massage Beds !!! (BC only)

- Tanning (I don't tan, but some people do), (BC only)

- Bring a friend for free (BC only)

- Workout at any PF anywhere (BC only)

- Canceling membership is (I think) only about $50 which is far cheaper than most other places.

- Free training groups

Cons:

- No classes

- Not open 24 hours Friday - Sunday

- Gets busy during peak times

Overall, if you are an introverted personality type or you enjoy working out alone and you don't need to be engaged in a lot of classes, I think PF is a good choice. If you're intimidated by gyms, PF is really easy to go to and not at all intimidating. I call the equipment "Fisher Price" equipment because it's really simple to use and there are fully illustrated pictures on every machine.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask this question too. I'm fat, broke, and live in a little apartment with downstairs neighbors (jumping around trying to work out at home wouldn't be very appreciated.) I don't understand free weights or know how to do anything with them, and I'm intimidated by the idea. (Even though I know "lifting heavy" is what everyone should be doing.)

I just want to go somewhere with other people who may be fat too, do a weight machine circuit, get on a treadmill for an hour or more, listen to metal, and do internval sprints like a maniac without people making fun of me.

For someone with goals like this, is Planet Fitness a good idea, or would I be wasting my time / money by working out like this? I'm thinking of joining today, so I'd really appreciate the feedback too.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First of all, no one is going to make fun of you. Second, if you don't really want to lift, then you can't beat $10 a month for treadmill rental. I personally wouldn't go to Planet Fitness because I think they're premise is exclusionary and judgmental, and I feel like they don't actually want their clientele to improve. I think they prey on the introverted, overweight New Year's Resolutioners, but then again, I'm biased because I would totally set off the lunk alarm I'm not big, but I grunt, and I lift), and my husband is pretty much the type of person that they mock in their commercials, although he is neither dumb nor vain. (You can see this is a bit of a sore spot for me.) If you are intimidated by gyms, in general, it would probably be a good starter gym for you. But, again, please keep in mind, people aren't going to say anything to you. They are there to get their workout in just like you.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This place sounds perfect for me at this stage in my life. I'm 4 months out from a multilevel cervical spinal fusion and have been told that I can't lift over 20 lbs & nothing that will strain my neck, I can't run (at the present time) and was also told no aerobic classes yet but I can use cardio equipment. What type of equipment do they have exactly?
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I heard that they don't allow deadlifting at Planet Fitness.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I just want to go somewhere with other people who may be fat too, do a weight machine circuit, get on a treadmill for an hour or more, listen to metal, and do internval sprints like a maniac without people making fun of me.

That's pretty much every gym in the country...IMHO.
    I personally wouldn't go to Planet Fitness because I think they're premise is exclusionary and judgmental, and I feel like they don't actually want their clientele to improve.

And agree with this ^
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thinking abut joining a Planet Fitness near me, but I've hear mixed reviews. Anyone have any input on the matter?

I belong to one. Love it. I have never had to wait for a machine, ever.