thoughts on foot cutoff after 7 PM?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Complete BS. Cutting off your feet is just a bad idea. Cutting of eating after 7 is total nonsense. I have a job - I don't even get home from work until after 7. People have too much d*mn free time on their hands if they call follow this ridiculous plan.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    thanks for the typo - it made me smile. :bigsmile:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking as you should be, it really doesn't matter when you eat. An arbitrary cutoff just means less time to eat so, hopefully, less total eating. I couldn't do it, myself... I usually eat dinner at 8.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather cut my foot off before 7pm. There seems to be better emergency responders during the day. That aside, I eat anytime I want. I'm typically awake from 1130am-230am so if I didn't eat after 7pm I would never get to eat anything. I eat dinner after getting out of work at 11pm. But that's just me. :-) P.S. I'm not overweight, either. Even with eating at weird hours. :-)
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    IN because of the amputation.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *In* because of title typo!

I find it interesting how when most people ask this type of question, it's with a specific time (e.g. 7pm) rather than a relative time (e.g. 'within 2 hours before going to bed'), especially since everybody doesn't have a "1st shift" schedule.

Anecdotally speaking, it does make a difference to me but I don't have any evidence to say it applies equally to everyone. I tend to have lower morning weigh-ins when I stop eating at least 3 hours before bed. Let's use an auto analogy. Gasoline (food) in a gas tank (stomach/body) has mass that can be "burned" (converted into energy). All things being equals:
    • As more gas has been burned from the tank, the less the car weighs
    • The faster the engine runs (burn rate), the quicker the gas is burned.
    • An idling car (e.g. sleeping) burns gas much slower than a moving car (active)
    Continuing on this line of logic, consider the following scenarios:
    1) Put 'x' number of gallons into an empty tank and idle the engine for 8 hours
    2) Put the same amount of gas into the same empty tank, drive the car around for 3 hours, then let the engine idle for 5 hours
    In both scenarios, the test was for 8 hours, but 'scenario #2' will result in the lighter car. Mind you, this is a point-in-time result and may not necessarily apply in the long term (e.g. weight loss rate, etc.)

FTR: I eat late and my biggest meal in dinner, so it's very difficult for me to consistently maintain a 2+ hour food moritorium before bed. So I don't sweat it.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I want to. Yesterday was my birthday and I knew we were going to an AYCE sushi joint, so I saved up almost my whole day's calories for the massive gorging that night. It was glorious. Other days, I eat small meals all day long. Other days, I eat a sh*it load of food in the morning and then I have a small-ish dinner. It doesn't matter. Doesn't make a lick of difference in terms of weight loss.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    meal timing is bs
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. For me it doesn't really matter when I eat as long as I don't go to bed right after. I usually don't eat anything 2to 3 hours before bedtime because I'd become restless with full stomach.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I usually start my fast at 6pm.. Then at about 8pm I break it with some beer.

The worst 2 hours of my entire day.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 feet and what happens when I cut both off? And why does it matter when I cut my foot off?
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    i eat regularly after 7pm. actually everyday i work i eat after 7pm, some days its 9pm but thats when i get in. I work shifts.
  • mccabecol
    mccabecol Posts: 2
    Options
    Have to agree - eat when you want once your in control of what it is you're eating, I'm quite partial to a wee snack in bed myself...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. If it helps you keep within your calorie goal for the day, then go for it.

Also in because of foot cutoff ^

this

and the typo made me laugh

the stuff about not eating after (add any time in the evening that you fancy here) comes from research done on people who were not tracking calories, or even trying to lose weight. A lot of what some people who don't pay attention to what they eat will eat in the evening tends to be not very nutritious and high in calories... think of people sitting watching late night TV with a large bag of doritos all to themselves.... Well obviously that kind of eating in the evening does contribute to obesity, especially if the person is doing it out of habit after they're already full. If people who are in that habit are told not to eat after 7pm, they may well lose weight because they're no longer mindlessly overeating. There's other similar advice that goes around that is possibly helpful to some people who are not tracking calories, like eating off a smaller plate. Some people overeat because they put too much food on their plate then feel obliged to eat it all even after they're full. So you can see how advice like don't eat after 7pm and/or eat off a smaller plate, may cause some people to lose weight without tracking calories, as it corrects those two bad habits that can lead to obesity (but obviously it won't work for everyone, because if someone's fat for reasons other than those particular bad habits, then the advice will do nothing for them)....................................... HOWEVER if you are tracking calories and weighing and measuring your food, it really does not matter what time of day you eat or how big a plate you eat off, or how you divide up your meals (e.g. 2 big meals v 6 small meals) or any of those other things... what matters is that you eat less than you burn off. And tracking your food is the most accurate and dependable way to ensure you really are eating less than you burn off, as opposed to just guessing by eating off smaller plates and not eating after (add time in the evening here). Additionally, undereating is not healthy either, and tracking calories helps you to ensure that you're eating enough. Fat loss works best and is most sustainable when you're eating enough to feed your body properly, not feel tired, hungry, grumpy or deprived, and still have the spare calories for your favourite treats, while at the same time eating less than you burn off for slow, steady fat loss... the easiest way to achieve that happy medium is by tracking your calories.
  • ReneeReiser
    ReneeReiser Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lol this typo is the only reason I read this thread, so kudos to you! I eat as late as I need. I try to not eat too late at night, but it is very hard to get the family all together at the same time to sit and eat, so it usually ends up being after 7.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    ya know...my dear friend recently almost cut off her foot, so i, for one, am not amused by the typo.

and yeah...i do my best eating from 10-11pm.
    im not saying i eat between 10-11pm....im saying i eat FROM 10-11.
    yum.
    going to bed that full feels luxurious.

You know Cary Elwes?

saw3.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cutting your foot off after 7 p.m. will slow down your metabolism. Because you'll probably die.
  • Timmmy40
    Options
    You will have a nice loss when you cut off each foot. Gonna be hard to exercise though. Upper body cardio for a while. :laugh:
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 7pm. I found that it aggravated my acid reflux, it was uncomfortable to sleep on a full belly (I'm a stomach sleeper) and I think it helps with my digestion process to take a walk after I eat so I like to do it earlier.

As with all of these questions, everyone will have a different opinion. Just find what words best for yourself.
  • Timmmy40
    Options
    Seriously, just stay at your calorie intake and it doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body doesn't know the time. Stop eating at 7pm works for you then stay with it.